China Buys Out Albertan Oil Sands Co. Opti Canada for $2.1 BN

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
OPTI Canada to be acquired by China's CNOOC in $2.1bn deal

Junior oil sands developer OPTI Canada (TSE:OPC), which last week filed for bankruptcy protection, announced Wednesday it will be acquired by China National Offshore Oil Corp (CNOOC), a subsidiary of China's CNOOC (NYSE:CEO), in a transaction valued at $2.1 billion.

The agreement values OPTI's equity at $34 million, with CNOOC taking on $2 billion in debt.

The Alberta-based company, whose board of directors has voted unanimously in favour of the deal, will receive $34 million for all its existing issued and outstanding common shares, equal to $0.12 per share. China's largest producer of offshore crude oil will also pay $825 million and $1.179 billion to holders of OPTI's First and Second Lien Notes, respectively, and $37.5 million to backstop parties.

OPTI, whose stock has slipped more than 90% over the last year, to $0.115 as of close on July 12 when shares stopped trading, currently holds a 35% working interest in several oil sands properties in the Athabasca oil sands play. However, only the Long Lake property is producing, with only 30,000 barrels of bitumen per day as of May, when OPTI and Nexen, which holds the remaining 65%, aimed to produce between 40,000 and 60,000 barrels per day.

Still, the acquisition will expand CNOOC's presence in Canada as more and more foreign companies look to bulk up their resources. "CNOOC Limited is a technically experienced and well-capitalized company that is equipped to support further development at Long Lake and future expansions in the Canadian oil sands," said OPTI president and CEO, Chris Slubicki.

CNOOC CEO, Yang Hua, commented: "The transaction strengthens our Canadian presence in the oil sands business." Also, "We believe that upside potential of the assets will facilitate local energy supply and our production growth in the long term." Two thirds of the holders of OPTI's Second Lien Notes must vote in favour of the deal for it to go through. The company has already received support from holders totaling 55% of the notes.

The transaction, which is expected to close in the fourth quarter, is not subject to a shareholder vote, but must receive approval from regulatory boards in China and Canada. CNOOC's stock on the New York Stock Exchange dropped 4.07% before the bell, trading at $225.25 per share.

OPTI Canada to be acquired by China's CNOOC in $2.1bn deal - Proactiveinvestors (NA)

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
So what, it's a business transaction!
Is this something that you find novel?

This was Opti's first venture into the Oil Sands business, so like any venture type undertaking, there is always a risk.
Maybe your not too familiar with business ventures...eh??

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
So what, it's a business transaction!
Is this something that you find novel?

This was Opti's first venture into the Oil Sands business, so like any venture type undertaking, there is always a risk.
Maybe your not too familiar with business ventures...eh??

A 2.1 billion dollar risk, I can't think of too many companies who blow that on their initial venture.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
A 2.1 billion dollar risk, I can't think of too many companies who blow that on their initial venture.

China will use this as a long term investment while we pocket the 2.1 BN in the short term. It just shows the short-sightedness of this government - even in fiscal policy. Despite the fact that Opti are heading for bankruptcy, that China was willing to pony up so much proves that there is still potential that we may be squandering (in addition to our economic sovereignty).

This is the real story while the media moguls pimp Baird for our new found relationship with China.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
. It just shows the short-sightedness of this government - even in fiscal policy. While they were heading for bankruptcy, the fact that China was willing to pony up so much proves that there is still potential that we may be squandering (in addition to our economic sovereignty).
China.
Oh, you easterners, you always want the government to be involved.
Lean to stand on your own two feet,,eh!!

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010

Your post doesn't make sense.

The conservative regulatory board is involved in this transaction. In fact, shareholders don't even get a say even if they don't agree. So you can lay partial blame on Harper right now if it makes you feel vindicated.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto

Both the regulatory boards(government) of Canada and China need to approve the deal, try reading the complete article before sounding off like a fool.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
For there being an energy crisis and peak oil we sure are quick to sell our future off aren't we.

Unless......

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

You're not standing on your own two feet, you're standing on Chinese feet.

But that's okay with me, just don't cry when you suddenly discover that you are the servant, not the master. You sold your soul.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I hope there's some kind of environmental surety for when they're done. I suspect when Vale pulls up stakes around here, we're going to be left with a lot of toxic sediment ponds and more orange ooze leaking into the Vermillion River

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I hope there's some kind of environmental surety for when they're done. I suspect when Vale pulls up stakes around here, we're going to be left with a lot of toxic sediment ponds and more orange ooze leaking into the Vermillion River
A vast chunk of the up and coming projects are in-situ extraction. Reclamation is a load of crap. Once a forest mycological system is turned upside down and pushed around by dozers it takes hundreds if not thousands of years to return.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
A vast chunk of the up and coming projects are in-situ extraction. Reclamation is a load of crap. Once a forest mycological system is turned upside down and pushed around by dozers it takes hundreds if not thousands of years to return.
Thousands of years??? Yeah, have been watching and keeping track ??

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
I have no issue with this at all. As long as they hire Canadians and don't import foreign workers for these highly paid and often unskilled jobs, I'm good with it. I read an article in The Globe and Mail Report on Business a while back where a Chinese oil exec, maybe with the same company, said they would need Chinese workers. He sounded very cocky, like his Chinese crown corporation was going to push around Canada. Nuts to that.

Being in a rural area, they could train aboriginals for many of these labouring jobs that pay in excess of $20 an hour. These are jobs that should only go to Canadians.