Alberta PC's looking for a new leader

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
and Dr. Ted Morton is one of those in the running. Here is one of his posts from his facebook page

I’m running to be Premier because I believe in a strong Alberta - fueled by free enterprise, low taxes and economic opportunity. As Premier I’ll push for common sense, conservative policies for families, small business owners, law abiding firearm owners, the rodeo and ranching communities and hardworking Albertans. Please visit my website at www.tedmorton.ca or call my campaign at 1-855-471-6715 to join my campaign.

and here is my response

Ted, you are the 2nd conservative leadership candidate that has advertised/stated that they are running for Alberta Premier. Now tell me, are you that ignorant that you don't know the difference between leader of the conservative party and Premier of Alberta or are you that arrogant that you think that the conservatives are the only party that can govern Alberta?

Still waiting to see if I get a reply...lol

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Well in reality, in Alberta, its a pretty simple correlation.

leader of the PC's = premier

Now you're correct in pointing out that he is running for the former and taking the latter a little bit for granted, but until an opposition party can offer an alternative that the voting populace finds palatable, the above equation is still going to hold true. Hell, the PC's have had a proverbial trained chimp (I'm still confused as to how Stelmach got the nod) in office the last couple years and still no opposition worthy of the name has materialized. Its not really that arrogant considering what a cluster**** the provincial NDP and Liberal parties are...

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Well in reality, in Alberta, its a pretty simple correlation.

leader of the PC's = premier

Now you're correct in pointing out that he is running for the former and taking the latter a little bit for granted, but until an opposition party can offer an alternative that the voting populace finds palatable, the above equation is still going to hold true. Hell, the PC's have had a proverbial trained chimp (I'm still confused as to how Stelmach got the nod) in office the last couple years and still no opposition worthy of the name has materialized. Its not really that arrogant considering what a cluster**** the provincial NDP and Liberal parties are...

gerryh is an easterner and he only votes Liberal. Being from a culture of entitlement, he thinks only Liberals can be government leaders.

Somebody should point out to him that Ontario is a have-not province and Alberta has never accepted transfer payments. But Liberals never learn tho!!

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
gerryh is an easterner and he only votes Liberal. Being from a culture of entitlement, he thinks only Liberals can be government leaders.

Somebody should point out to him that Ontario is a have-not province and Alberta has never accepted transfer payments. But Liberals never learn tho!!

Really? Once again, you have proven you don't have 2 brain cells to rub together. What a fu cking moron.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

and BTW dumbass, I voted for Klein in 2004.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
. What a fu cking moron.
spoiled little child, is this the best you can do?
Can't even articulate your thoughts intelligently eh?

I guess this is the kind of people that are bread in a culture of entitlement.

Why don't you go run and tell your mommy that you've been a bad little boy and you swore at someone.

Ignorant Eastern Idiot !!

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

Why don't you go run and tell your mommy that you've been a bad little boy and you swore at someone.

Still showing your stupidity.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

What sort of wheat do you knead for that bread?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

I would say that the culture of entitlement means thinking that Leader of the PC Party automatically means being Premier.

That's entitlement.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I would say that the culture of entitlement means thinking that Leader of the PC Party automatically means being Premier.

That's entitlement.

No, entitlement was the federal Liberals under Chretien; guys like Dingwall, Rock & Co. Alberta Tories suffer from a different malady' an arrogance born from not having any opposition worthy of the name.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
No, entitlement was the federal Liberals under Chretien; guys like Dingwall, Rock & Co. Alberta Tories suffer from a different malady' an arrogance born from not having any opposition worthy of the name.

Well, they had better pocket that arrogance pretty damn quick. The wildrose alliance is coming up fast and it WILL split the conservative vote. You can be damned sure the liberals will try to capitalize on that.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Actually the leadership hopefuls are that arrogant. In Alberta there was an election forty years ago
that threw out the Social Credit Party that had been there for more than a generation.
Alberta is due for a change really its a change in name more than a political change. There will be
an new conservative group that comes to power and will remain until the begin to believe there own
press clippings. That will be in about thirty years from now.
What does all this mean? Albertans will never learn, not until the oil is gone and the hucksters are
moving on. Of course by then it will be too late.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Well, they had better pocket that arrogance pretty damn quick. The wildrose alliance is coming up fast and it WILL split the conservative vote. You can be damned sure the liberals will try to capitalize on that.

Even if the Wildrose split the PC vote, that means we have 2 conservative parties ahead of the Liberals. The Liberal party name in Alberta is poison. The end. Trudeau made enemies of the province and Chretien reinforced a lot of the image that Trudeau created. A more liberal leaning party might have a chance if they tried a name change, but they would have to be pretty blue liberals to stand a chance (which is really they way the PCs govern the province). The NDP, even provincially has set itself up to be pretty much the antithesis of everything that drives the Alberta economy, so it never will stand a snowball's chance in hell.

Actually the leadership hopefuls are that arrogant. In Alberta there was an election forty years ago
that threw out the Social Credit Party that had been there for more than a generation.
Alberta is due for a change really its a change in name more than a political change. There will be
an new conservative group that comes to power and will remain until the begin to believe there own
press clippings. That will be in about thirty years from now.
What does all this mean? Albertans will never learn, not until the oil is gone and the hucksters are
moving on. Of course by then it will be too late.

If the PCs appoint another Stelmach (who many equated to being "almost as bad as Getty") the Wildrose might replace the PCs. I don't know if thats a good thing: change can be good but change for the sake of change isn't necessarily an improvement.

As for "Albertans will never learn", what do you want them to learn? Many non-Albertans, especially from those from Toronto and the lower mainland on the Wet Coast, have this image of Alberta that almost seems cartoonish: a flat, oil-soaked, polluted wasteland, where big business runs over any attempt to unionize the labour force. In one respect, Albertans do suffer from a sense of short-sightedness in developing their resoureces, but its a national affliction, not a regional one: agri-business, forestry, mining all have it as well as the energy industry. We are ALL too willing to export raw materials instead of fully processing them and exporting finished product. I'm not about to try and paint Alberta as an eco-haven either, as things very definately could be better, in numerous sectors, including energy, but its not as bad as some environmental groups complain.

One thing Alberta has done that other provinces haven't always done, is try to keep the books in order and live within our means, even if it means periodic rollbacks on some gov't functions. There is no grandiose pondering about things like the "need for a provincial constitution", or a "provincial language charter" and we have a small tolerance for meddling in the affairs of others, especially when coming to them with a hand out... Its a lot different situation, with different challenges and thus different solutions than other areas that tend to be the most critical, thus illustrating a lack of understanding.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
We should be looking for a new country, VIVA the Republic of Alberta.

One thing Alberta has done that other provinces haven't always done, is try to keep the books in order and live within our means, even if it means periodic rollbacks on some gov't functions.
It was the Heritage Trust Fund that eliminated the Provincial debt. Laughheed and Klein weren't penny pinchers. More gollf (exclusive type) got under under then than anybody. When PM Laugheed's kid got popped for cocain suddenly the Gov was sponsoring rehab clinics.

Social Credit eliminated personal debt, that move got them elected for 20 years woth a landslide every election. (I wonder who actually paid off that debt as the banks never forgive any debt that6 would be as large as that.