Alberta should create oilsands commission: panel

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Alberta should create an arm's-length commission to monitor the environmental impact of oilsands development, an independent panel told the provincial government in a report released Tuesday.

The work would need to be "science-based and science-led," said Howard Tennant, one of the panel's leaders and a former president of the University of Lethbridge. "This is extremely important if we want to make sure that measuring, recording, reporting and interpreting actually takes place," Tennant told reporters.

"The Alberta government has been forced to take this first step, but we now expect it to take the next step and actually start living up to its responsibilities to protect Alberta's communities, waterways and wildlife from tar sands pollution. It is time for this government's track record of failure on environmental stewardship to end."

Alberta Liberal environment critic Laurie Blakeman said she's skeptical about the creation of a monitoring commission. "The length of these arms is determined by the government, who controls who is on the board, how much funding the agency receives and how the agency does its work. Then, when something goes wrong, the government stands back and blames the agency."

NDP MLA Rachel Notley says the commission would create a new layer of bureaucracy and will not guarantee action to protect the environment. "They talk about the importance of science leading the process, but recommend a new body where scientists are relegated to an advisory role under a board of Tory-appointed business friends," Notley said.

CTV Calgary- Alberta should create oilsands commission: panel - CTV News

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
But steve and his minions don't believe in science.

As should Ontario in the industrial heartland to show, monitor and publicize what contaminants are in the air, water and land from a number of industrial processes. Fair is fair.
Blaming it on Steve is simplistic to say the least.

cranky

Time Out
Apr 17, 2011
BC should create an arm's-length commission to monitor the environmental impact of open pit coal mines.

And, lets get rid of those pesky tailings ponds, its better just to dump things directly into the river.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
As should Ontario in the industrial heartland to show, monitor and publicize what contaminants are in the air, water and land from a number of industrial processes. Fair is fair.
I don't know if I'd really want to know what's in that whiff of hell I get when the wind's out of WSW or the NW and the air's heavy....

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

You might realize that all industrial emissions are monitored and accounted for already, under federal laws.

But then again, you might not. Many people are woefully uninformed.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
You might realize that all industrial emissions are monitored and accounted for already, under federal laws.

But then again, you might not. Many people are woefully uninformed.

I am well aware of that. But Provinces can as this Thread mentions take it one step further.

cranky

Time Out
Apr 17, 2011
I am totally baffled at the response that you get from some people when they hear about the tailings ponds in northern alberta. It is like they don't have the slightest idea why we have tailings ponds, nor do they understand that it is something that is used in many industries not just the oilsands industry.

Furthermore, some people are totally shocked at the 'scar' that is made in forest, have they never seen an open pit coal mine before?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Just finished listening to Power and Politics about this issue and Stockwell just got his ass handed to him on a silver platter. I was a bit worried that there was no mention that this extra bureaucratic layer (if it existed) would be at the whim of the conservative government anyway, but there need to be some accountability measures in place regardless of how they go about it.

We're tearing ourselves up in the name of the economy and it's really not worth it.

cranky

Time Out
Apr 17, 2011

Alberta should create an arm's-length commission to monitor the environmental impact of oilsands development, an independent panel told the provincial government in a report released Tuesday.

The work would need to be "science-based and science-led," said Howard Tennant, one of the panel's leaders and a former president of the University of Lethbridge. "This is extremely important if we want to make sure that measuring, recording, reporting and interpreting actually takes place," Tennant told reporters.

"The Alberta government has been forced to take this first step, but we now expect it to take the next step and actually start living up to its responsibilities to protect Alberta's communities, waterways and wildlife from tar sands pollution. It is time for this government's track record of failure on environmental stewardship to end."

Alberta Liberal environment critic Laurie Blakeman said she's skeptical about the creation of a monitoring commission. "The length of these arms is determined by the government, who controls who is on the board, how much funding the agency receives and how the agency does its work. Then, when something goes wrong, the government stands back and blames the agency."

NDP MLA Rachel Notley says the commission would create a new layer of bureaucracy and will not guarantee action to protect the environment. "They talk about the importance of science leading the process, but recommend a new body where scientists are relegated to an advisory role under a board of Tory-appointed business friends," Notley said.

CTV Calgary- Alberta should create oilsands commission: panel - CTV News

I just wanted to comment in a general sense here....

I disagree with a control mechanism that monitors a control mechanism......

if we spend too much time focusing on the controller, when are we going to get down to business and ask the serious questions like "why are we having problems with this controlled process? How can we fix the root problem?"

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I just wanted to comment in a general sense here....

I disagree with a control mechanism that monitors a control mechanism......

if we spend too much time focusing on the controller, when are we going to get down to business and ask the serious questions like "why are we having problems with this controlled process? How can we fix the root problem?"

The root problem is a lack of balance favouring economic development over legitimate environmental concerns.

The solution is finding an agent that the government will actually listen to in order to restore this balance.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
The root problem is a lack of balance favouring economic development over legitimate environmental concerns.

The solution is finding an agent that the government will actually listen to in order to restore this balance.

That is an excellent sentiment, however, the mechanism has to extend equally across all industries as well as activities... Further, the gvt must define the environmental concerns in advance on a generalized basis. One of the observations that stands-out in particular relates to the use of coal in North America.

As it stands, the oil/gas industry is being vilified as it is the cause du jour with the environmental lobbies. Allowing a non gvt lobby group dictate national policy is nothing more than a fool's errand.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
That is an excellent sentiment, however, the mechanism has to extend equally across all industries as well as activities... Further, the gvt must define the environmental concerns in advance on a generalized basis. One of the observations that stands-out in particular relates to the use of coal in North America.

As it stands, the oil/gas industry is being vilified as it is the cause du jour with the environmental lobbies. Allowing a non gvt lobby group dictate national policy is nothing more than a fool's errand.

The coal industry has been vilified for years, didn't Ontario pledge to shut down all coal fired power plants?