Have you completed the voluntary National Household Survey

Which option best describes your NHS situation?

• Received the survey and completed it

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Received the survey and intend on completing it

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Received the survey and do not intend on completing it

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Have not received the survey

Votes: 7 63.6%

• Total voters

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
With the survey being voluntary, and distributed to more households, I'm curious who here has received a package in the mail, and who has completed it.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
With the survey being voluntary, and distributed to more households, I'm curious who here has received a package in the mail, and who has completed it.
It's voluntary?

The commercials on the radio keep saying it's the law.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
It's voluntary?

I had a census person come by my place and I did the traditional one and they left with me an optional package, which might be what you are referring to, so no, I haven't filled it out yet.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
It's voluntary?

The Census (seven questions I think) is mandatory, the National Household Survey, formerly the Long-form Census (55+ questions) is now voluntary.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I did one online a month a go and sent me a reminder and another code to do it again.

Hyde`s got nothin`to hide but I`m not so sure about Jekyll.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
nope... it's sittin right here beside my chair. Haven't even looked at it. Jenny did the short one online along with the provincial one.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Got mine hand-delivered about a month ago, completed it and sent it in a week or so later. Mine was the short form. My neighbor - right across the road has yet to receive one though.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I did the short one on line a couple of months ago. They know where I live and they know I speak English. :lol:

They deliver the thing to you and then they ask for your address- what kind of sense is that?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
They deliver the thing to you and then they ask for your address- what kind of sense is that?

Because the person who delivers mail is not the person who enters the data into the computer...

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
I also got a letter with a code, there was no option to not complete the form but it could be completed electronically or via snail mail.

One question was whether I was okay with the release of personal information into the general info-stream in 50 years (something like that, maybe 100) for me and all others living in the residence, like children. I wondered what information would be like in 50 or 100 years, what lifespans would be like, thought about how allegiances change and beliefs could be persecuted (like the times of McCarthy and Hitler), and decided against - decided against the release of information for offspring. When you think about it, why would the government ask parents to waive rights for their children ... shouldn't waiving personal rights be something that is given individually after the age of 18 and not by parents?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Once Upon A Time

A big bad Wölfe used Census data to segregate and inihilate, peoples of disability, race and ethnic background.

Then some guy in Germany made big ol mess and went too far and added Religion, so the big bad Wölfe changed it's game plan and started Planned Parenthood.

End of Story?

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
It says on the form: "please note that completion of the census questionnaire is required by law". It has to be completed and returned within 10 days of receipt. I received it weeks ago, and a confirmation number is given after completing the form online.

If you received the below envelope, you have to do it.

Once Upon A Time

A big bad Wölfe used Census data to segregate and inihilate, peoples of disability, race and ethnic background.

Then some guy in Germany made big ol mess and went too far and added Religion, so the big bad Wölfe changed it's game plan and started Planned Parenthood.

End of Story?

Data collection has it's place. In the Netherlands, back in 1977, when I was looking to track down my suitcase; one that had been inadvertently transported from Greece to the Netherlands, everyone that lived in the Netherlands had to be registered at the local police station with an address. I was able to track my suitcase down with nothing more than a name and a city - much to the surprise of those that had my suitcase. This may seem like a police state, but the converse is: why does someone want to live in the country but not want the public to know who they are and where they live? Who wants to live next to someone that does not want anyone to know who he is? Anyway, everyone had to be registered, and even in Canada everyone has to be registered.

Last edited:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
It says on the form: "please note that completion of the census questionnaire is required by law". It has to be completed and returned within 10 days of receipt. I received it weeks ago, and a confirmation number is given after completing the form online.

There are two parts to the census...the short form is mandatory. The long form, the National Household Survey, is voluntary, starting this year. I had a thread all about the changes, and how stupid this change was, which you can read here if you like:
http://forums.canadiancontent.net/hot-topics/93996-very-bad-idea-2011-census.html

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
There are two parts to the census...the short form is mandatory. The long form, the National Household Survey, is voluntary, starting this year. I had a thread all about the changes, and how stupid this change was, which you can read here if you like:
http://forums.canadiancontent.net/hot-topics/93996-very-bad-idea-2011-census.html
How much trouble would I get in, if I hypothetically filled out the family name as "Bat", son's given names as "Wiffle" and "Ding", religion "Jedi"?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
They can't give any personally identifiable information away without your consent. I don't know if anything would happen.