Gov. Post Office Fights Back By Reducing Service

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Government Post Office Fights Back By Reducing Service

Government post office service cuts starting soon only on the urban unit letter carriers three days a week due to reduced mail volume, but the cheaper suburban letter carrier allowed to work five days a week and they have the same reduced mail volumes. By putting restrictions on one sector government post office is forcing for an all out mail strike by the union.

Government post office long term plan is to replace all door to door letter carrier service with community mail boxes and reducing mail delivery service to two days a week.

InfoPost: Canada Post/ CUPW Negotiations Canada Post Adjusts Mail Delivery Due To Rotating Strikes

Canada Post Adjusts Mail Delivery Due To Rotating Strikes
Due to a significant drop in mail volume Canada Post is forced to immediately reduce costs by making adjustments to staffing and delivery schedules.

With rotating strikes continuing, Canada Post must act now to avoid significant losses that will harm the company’s financial self-sustainability.

Canada Post is reducing its labour costs by aligning staff throughout the postal network to reduced mail volumes and workloads.

In the coming days, Canada Post will implement the following measures:
· Staffing levels at mail processing plants across the country will be reduced to adjust to the reduction in mail volumes at each facility.

· Letters and Admail will be delivered three days a week (Monday, Wednesday and Friday) in mostly urban areas where delivery is performed by letter carriers.

· Most small packages and documents will also be delivered three days a week. Every effort will be made to continue to deliver priority items five days a week.

These changes do not include all products and services at Canada Post. Many product and service offerings will not be affected by these changes, including:
· Delivery of mail to rural mailboxes and community mailboxes will continue five days a week where service is provided by Rural and Suburban Mail Carriers (RSMCs) who operate under a separate collective agreement than urban employees.

· Post Office operating hours and access to post office boxes will remain unchanged.
· Pick-ups from qualified customers and mail collection at street letter boxes on major streets will continue as usual.

· Delivery of all parcels will continue as usual.
Detailed information on staffing procedures in the new operational environment will be provided in the coming days.

Canada Post regrets any inconvenience these changes may cause. However, daily mail volumes at Canada Post have fallen up to 50 per cent since the union started rotating strikes – forcing the company to reduce costs.

Canada Post is a Crown Corporation whose operations are funded by the revenues generated by its products and services, not taxpayer dollars.

The company is taking steps to ensure that it can continue to provide the postal service Canadians expect.
Canada Post issued the following news release on this topic today:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Government Post Office Fights Back By Reducing Service

Government post office service cuts starting soon only on the urban unit letter carriers three days a week due to reduced mail volume, but the cheaper suburban letter carrier allowed to work five days a week and they have the same reduced mail volumes. By putting restrictions on one sector government post office is forcing for an all out mail strike by the union.

Government post office long term plan is to replace all door to door letter carrier service with community mail boxes and reducing mail delivery service to two days a week.

InfoPost: Canada Post/ CUPW Negotiations Canada Post Adjusts Mail Delivery Due To Rotating Strikes

Canada Post Adjusts Mail Delivery Due To Rotating Strikes
Due to a significant drop in mail volume Canada Post is forced to immediately reduce costs by making adjustments to staffing and delivery schedules.

With rotating strikes continuing, Canada Post must act now to avoid significant losses that will harm the company’s financial self-sustainability.

Canada Post is reducing its labour costs by aligning staff throughout the postal network to reduced mail volumes and workloads.

In the coming days, Canada Post will implement the following measures:
· Staffing levels at mail processing plants across the country will be reduced to adjust to the reduction in mail volumes at each facility.

· Letters and Admail will be delivered three days a week (Monday, Wednesday and Friday) in mostly urban areas where delivery is performed by letter carriers.

· Most small packages and documents will also be delivered three days a week. Every effort will be made to continue to deliver priority items five days a week.

These changes do not include all products and services at Canada Post. Many product and service offerings will not be affected by these changes, including:
· Delivery of mail to rural mailboxes and community mailboxes will continue five days a week where service is provided by Rural and Suburban Mail Carriers (RSMCs) who operate under a separate collective agreement than urban employees.

· Post Office operating hours and access to post office boxes will remain unchanged.
· Pick-ups from qualified customers and mail collection at street letter boxes on major streets will continue as usual.

· Delivery of all parcels will continue as usual.
Detailed information on staffing procedures in the new operational environment will be provided in the coming days.

Canada Post regrets any inconvenience these changes may cause. However, daily mail volumes at Canada Post have fallen up to 50 per cent since the union started rotating strikes – forcing the company to reduce costs.

Canada Post is a Crown Corporation whose operations are funded by the revenues generated by its products and services, not taxpayer dollars.

The company is taking steps to ensure that it can continue to provide the postal service Canadians expect.
Canada Post issued the following news release on this topic today:

Two days a week mail service would suit me just fine, actually it would be an improvement as I don't need to be getting flyers every day and there is nothing currently being mailed to me that I need to have.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
CUPW made Canada fans and users of courier services such as Federal Express (Fed) and United Parcel Service (Ups). CUPW made Canada FEDUPS.

Not to mention E-mail, internet, twitter, etc. The dinosaurs became extinct, because they did not or could not see the meteor coming.

Kind of like the CUPW.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
The management at Canada Post must be laughing about the opportunity that CUPW is handing them right now. The timing is perfect for Can Post to experiment with limited mail delivery service to all communities and determine if this will morph into a new company policy.

It'll be interesting to hear CUPW's logic when they cut their workforce by 30% as a byproduct of implementing such a move.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Two days a week mail service would suit me just fine, actually it would be an improvement as I don't need to be getting flyers every day and there is nothing currently being mailed to me that I need to have.
I get no junk mail in my postal box because I asked them to stop. They put a red dot on the inside of my box and all I get is mail.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
I receive and pay my bills online. When I get the bills printed on paper, in the mail box, I just check for possible fraud, and then they go to the junk box, emblematic and a constant reminder of the relevance and the importance of the postal 'service'.

Manufacturing jobs, due to unrealistic demands by unions, have been outsourced to China and India and elsewhere. The Postal service should be outsourced to oblivion.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I get no junk mail in my postal box because I asked them to stop. They put a red dot on the inside of my box and all I get is mail.

I'd do the same thing but I don't want to miss out on those coupons for Big Macs at half price.

cranky

Time Out
Apr 17, 2011
I would like to never check my mail box, I don't have a use for it because all my bills are paperless.

Alas, if I get a photoradar ticket or something like that, and I ignore it, the small problem becomes an even bigger problem.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I get lots of things by mail, about half of my bills, and some magazines that I subscribe to. When the company doesn't offer a discount for electronic billing, I'm not going to bother signing up for it.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
CUPW made Canada fans and users of courier services such as Federal Express (Fed) and United Parcel Service (Ups). CUPW made Canada FEDUPS.

Not to mention E-mail, internet, twitter, etc. The dinosaurs became extinct, because they did not or could not see the meteor coming.

Kind of like the CUPW.
Do you remember this Yukon Jack?

ST. JOHN'S, Nfld.–Canada Post has defeated a NAFTA challenge from United Parcel Service of America Inc., that alleged the Crown corporation engaged in unfair competition, bringing an end to a seven year-old dispute between the two delivery companies.

UPS, the world's largest package delivery firm, launched a claim for $160 million (U.S.) against the Canadian government in April 2000 under the North American Free Trade Agreement.

UPS contended Canada Post has an unfair advantage because its services such as Express Post and Priority Courier draw on an infrastructure of sorting facilities, mailboxes and post offices that private firms must provide for themselves.

But Canada Post CEO Moya Greene told the company's annual meeting yesterday that the NAFTA tribunal hearing the challenge had dismissed it.

"So any thought that we were using the small little bit of the reserved market that we have in Canada to improperly subsidize our competitive businesses, that is now gone," Greene said.

Greg Kane, a spokesperson with UPS, said NAFTA's decision was disappointing.
"Obviously we had hoped for a better result, but we still respect the NAFTA dispute resolution process and the decision," Kane said.

In otherwords CanadaPost systems kicks their ass and they hate it.

It's still far cheaper and quicker to ship CanadaPost than UPS.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I get lots of things by mail, about half of my bills, and some magazines that I subscribe to. When the company doesn't offer a discount for electronic billing, I'm not going to bother signing up for it.

Yeah, I forgot one thing, Readers Digest.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Yup. If going flat rate UPS, the trucks sit for the weekend. CanadaPost keeps rolling.

One more thing if importing an item UPS will nail you GST plus $20 EVERY TIME, CPost 1 in 5 are brokered then it's only $5 broker fee and GST

Last edited:

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
You make a good point, petros, however my point was that Canada Post IS irrelevant and obsolete.

I personally do not use either Federal Express or United Parcel Service, because, as I said, I do my billings online.

My point was that in typical unionist fashion the leaders of CUPW leading their members down the road of oblivion.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
They are shooting themselves in the foot, aren't they? I hadn't gone paperless in my billing yet, but it looks like I will have to. The fibromyalgia support group I belong to has had to look at effective alternatives to mailing out their monthly bulletins because of this. Slowly but surely, as this antiquated form of message transmission makes itself unreliable, people will simply pull further and further away from using it.

Sometimes it simply does not pay to strike. Striking is reserved for times when your services are truly in demand, or the market can truly support what you're asking for, as other unions have learned here in Edmonton, like those who went on strike at the Gainers meat packing plant and put the plant out of business, ending their jobs for good.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
You make a good point, petros, however my point was that Canada Post IS irrelevant and obsolete.

I personally do not use either Federal Express or United Parcel Service, because, as I said, I do my billings online.

My point was that in typical unionist fashion the leaders of CUPW leading their members down the road of oblivion.
When I've accomplished my goals I hope to someday be able to avoid all this paper and sample shuffle and say soyonara to the postman and couriers once and for good but in the meantime I'm going to use the system that works the best for the least amount of money.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
They are shooting themselves in the foot, aren't they? I hadn't gone paperless in my billing yet, but it looks like I will have to. The fibromyalgia support group I belong to has had to look at effective alternatives to mailing out their monthly bulletins because of this. Slowly but surely, as this antiquated form of message transmission makes itself unreliable, people will simply pull further and further away from using it.

Sometimes it simply does not pay to strike. Striking is reserved for times when your services are truly in demand, or the market can truly support what you're asking for, as other unions have learned here in Edmonton, like those who went on strike at the Gainers meat packing plant and put the plant out of business, ending their jobs for good.

Yep, I think they are just plain dumb, but not surprising, their union head honchos as far back as I can remember had room temperature I.Q.s Also right or wrong I think access to your mail is a basic right (I wonder if stupid Trudeau got that in the Charter).

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
How much are the posties asking for? Is it more than 5.9%? That is UPS's rate increase for 2011. Did everyone at UPS get raises? Did they start a letter service for under a buck in Nor Am?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
How much are the posties asking for? Is it more than 5.9%? That is UPS's rate increase for 2011. Did everyone at UPS get raises? Did they start a letter service for under a buck in Nor Am?

Oddly enough, around here, UPS is delivered by Purolator. Which is owned by CanadaPost. And has unionized drivers.