Rhetoric and Reality

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Thomas Walkom
National Affairs Columnist

There is a curious disjunction between the rhetoric and reality of Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s economic policy. Call it the contradiction of Harpernomics.

On the one hand, the language is moderate and soothing: Keep a firm hand on the tiller; avoid sudden movements; given that the world is a scary and unsettled place, prudence is best.

When Finance Minister Jim Flaherty tabled his budget this week, he used precisely these kinds of calming words.

Sure, we’ll be doing a bit of cutting here and there, he said. But don’t sweat it. We’re only talking about trimming up to $4 billion a year from $80 billion worth of direct program spending. That’s just 5 per cent. Chill out.

Yet the reality of his plan is quite different.

First, he’s not planning to cut just $4 billion. He’s planning to cut up to $4 billion every year for four years. As his budget document points out, the cumulative total of these as-yet-unspecified cuts is $11 billion.

But that’s on top of the cuts that the government announced in past budgets but that have not yet kicked in. The cumulative total of these, according to Flaherty’s own figures, is at least $9.7 billion.

Add the two together and you get more than $20 billion in planned cutbacks between now and 2015. That’s not 5 per cent of federal direct program spending. It’s closer to 25 per cent.

Which is radical surgery.

So what gives?

The most obvious explanation is that the government is being dishonest. And I’m sure that’s part of what’s happening.

The Conservatives may have won their coveted parliamentary majority, but they know the new electoral coalition they have forged is fragile. Sounding too gleeful about dismantling government might spook more moderate voters.

But there also seems to be genuine confusion at the heart of government about how best to handle a global slowdown that truly does threaten this country.

We saw that in the fall of 2008. Then Harper was talking publicly about the need for governments to spend heavily in order to weather the recession. Yet at the same time, Flaherty was releasing a mini-budget that did the precise opposite.

That confusion continues.

If the government’s own forecasts are correct, it needs to do very little to bring its budgetary deficit under control. Thanks largely to the global oil boom, the economy in Canada’s west is booming. Ottawa is accumulating tax revenues.

By the government’s own figures, the deficit will be eliminated by 2015, even without the latest $11 billion round of spending cutbacks. These newest cuts will merely produce Harper’s coveted balanced budget a year earlier.

Indeed, given global instability, the most prudent course of action for a conservative-minded government would be to avoid radical fiscal action of any kind to preserve those jobs that do exist.

Instead, Harper and his finance minister are taking a gamble. Taking a leaf from the Jean Chrétien Liberals, the Conservatives are using the deficit as an excuse to continue dismantling the parts of government they’ve already signalled they don’t like — such as health and safety regulation, veterans’ disability pensions and job training.

This would move Canada in the direction Harper wants it to go. But I suspect the Prime Minister knows his cuts could also threaten jobs and income should the world economy take another turn for the worse.

In that sense, the government’s careful rhetoric is more appropriate than its actions. This is a time for caution. It’s not a time for massive spending cuts, no matter how ideologically attractive the right might find them.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Flaherty is right to cut program spending until we have no deficit and no debt. Raising taxes on working people is no longer an option and neither is living high off the hog while passing the bill off to our children and grandchildren.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Why not cut the 30 odd billion for those useless Fighter jets? Why are we building military bases on foreign soil? Why are we involved in foreign conflicts? Why not stop giving our resources away to foreign interests? We don't need to stop spending on our citizens, we need to stop spending on war and the implements of mass destruction. We need to reclaim our resources. These bozos are so far up someone's ass (I'll give you one guess) that they can't see Jack. Totally irresponsible!

cranky

Time Out
Apr 17, 2011
Why not cut the 30 odd billion for those useless Fighter jets?

It isn't an expansion, it is a replacement plan for our aging CF18s

Why are we building military bases on foreign soil?
for our troops on foriegn soil. the local youth hostels won't take them.

Why are we involved in foreign conflicts?
We are involved, the question is HOW

Why not stop giving our resources away to foreign interests?
I agree. We need to start giving them away to local interests.

We don't need to stop spending on our citizens, we need to stop spending on war and the implements of mass destruction.
"All that is needed for the triumph of evil, is good men do nothing" - Edmunde Burke. I hope Canada never become apathetic.

We need to reclaim our resources.

Which ones? the ones that provided food on the tables of millions of Canadians?

These bozos are so far up someone's ass (I'll give you one guess) that they can't see Jack. Totally irresponsible!

Jack just pulled his head out for a short breather, he'll put it back in again. :)

Thomas Walkom
National Affairs Columnist

There is a curious disjunction between the rhetoric and reality of Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s economic policy. Call it the contradiction of Harpernomics.

On the one hand, the language is moderate and soothing: Keep a firm hand on the tiller; avoid sudden movements; given that the world is a scary and unsettled place, prudence is best.

When Finance Minister Jim Flaherty tabled his budget this week, he used precisely these kinds of calming words.

Sure, we’ll be doing a bit of cutting here and there, he said. But don’t sweat it. We’re only talking about trimming up to $4 billion a year from $80 billion worth of direct program spending. That’s just 5 per cent. Chill out.

Yet the reality of his plan is quite different.

First, he’s not planning to cut just $4 billion. He’s planning to cut up to $4 billion every year for four years. As his budget document points out, the cumulative total of these as-yet-unspecified cuts is $11 billion.

But that’s on top of the cuts that the government announced in past budgets but that have not yet kicked in. The cumulative total of these, according to Flaherty’s own figures, is at least $9.7 billion.

Add the two together and you get more than $20 billion in planned cutbacks between now and 2015. That’s not 5 per cent of federal direct program spending. It’s closer to 25 per cent.

Which is radical surgery.

So what gives?

The most obvious explanation is that the government is being dishonest. And I’m sure that’s part of what’s happening.

The Conservatives may have won their coveted parliamentary majority, but they know the new electoral coalition they have forged is fragile. Sounding too gleeful about dismantling government might spook more moderate voters.

But there also seems to be genuine confusion at the heart of government about how best to handle a global slowdown that truly does threaten this country.

We saw that in the fall of 2008. Then Harper was talking publicly about the need for governments to spend heavily in order to weather the recession. Yet at the same time, Flaherty was releasing a mini-budget that did the precise opposite.

That confusion continues.

If the government’s own forecasts are correct, it needs to do very little to bring its budgetary deficit under control. Thanks largely to the global oil boom, the economy in Canada’s west is booming. Ottawa is accumulating tax revenues.

By the government’s own figures, the deficit will be eliminated by 2015, even without the latest $11 billion round of spending cutbacks. These newest cuts will merely produce Harper’s coveted balanced budget a year earlier.

Indeed, given global instability, the most prudent course of action for a conservative-minded government would be to avoid radical fiscal action of any kind to preserve those jobs that do exist.

Instead, Harper and his finance minister are taking a gamble. Taking a leaf from the Jean Chrétien Liberals, the Conservatives are using the deficit as an excuse to continue dismantling the parts of government they’ve already signalled they don’t like — such as health and safety regulation, veterans’ disability pensions and job training.

This would move Canada in the direction Harper wants it to go. But I suspect the Prime Minister knows his cuts could also threaten jobs and income should the world economy take another turn for the worse.

In that sense, the government’s careful rhetoric is more appropriate than its actions. This is a time for caution. It’s not a time for massive spending cuts, no matter how ideologically attractive the right might find them.

Nice Op/Ed.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Crancky Cranky Cranky....CF18's aren't going away soon, temporary troops sleep in tents or under a blanket of stars, How? What do you mean HOW? You really need to ask? Why not actually sell resources? What have you done lately? How do I cook natural gas or oil? As a soup?

Yup blame Jack for all the above short comings of Tory policy.

cranky

Time Out
Apr 17, 2011
Crancky Cranky Cranky....CF18's aren't going away soon,

Yes, but they are going away. And plans are best made now.

Just like the high beam switch on your car, ie It makes the new connection before breaking the existing connection, so you aren't driving without headlights, not even for a short period of time.

temporary troops sleep in tents or under a blanket of stars,

Thats great! lets give them their gold camping badge to wear on their boyscout sash.

How? What do you mean HOW?

adverb. in what manner or way; by what means; in what state or condition; for what reason or purpose; why: how is it that you don't know?

You really need to ask?
meh.

Why not actually sell resources?
This is not an original thought. We already ARE selling resources.

What have you done lately?
WTF!?!?!?!?!? More than usual!!! :)

How do I cook natural gas or oil? As a soup?
You can't, that is why we have markets and commerce.

Yup blame Jack for all the above short comings of Tory policy.
meh. someone else created the visual, I just added to it.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Are you busy? Try looking into how much Canada brings in from resources you say we sell. Then look at the value of those raw goods and ask yourself if Canadian's are getting a good deal on what should be my grand kid's resources sold today.

cranky

Time Out
Apr 17, 2011
Are you busy? Try looking into how much Canada brings in from resources you say we sell. Then look at the value of those raw goods and ask yourself if Canadian's are getting a good deal on what should be my grand kid's resources sold today.

Sure, lets start with the coal industry. How are we pissing away or giving it away? are you even vaguely familiar with who buys coal? Where does it go after leaving Robert's bank? How many Canadian jobs......GOOD canadian jobs does it create?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
2007, Canada exported 31 million tonnes of coal valued at $2.9 billion.

What was the peolpe's cut for my grand kid's coal? $2.9 billion?

cranky

Time Out
Apr 17, 2011
2007, Canada exported 31 million tonnes of coal valued at $2.9 billion.

What was the peolpe's cut for my grand kid's coal? $2.9 billion?

You tell me. Who own the mines? It used to be Fording Coal, a canadian corp created by CP Rail and Cominco, then it was converted into a trust company owned by Ontario Teacher's Union, but now Tek owns it.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
$10 a tonne? $5? $2 a tonne? How about a buck? No...why would we make that much when $0.55/tonne is "GOOD MONEY"?

Where the **** can I buy a tonne of coal for 55 ****ing cents?

cranky

Time Out
Apr 17, 2011
Lol Canadian coal sells on the world market, at doesn't sell that low.

cranky

Time Out
Apr 17, 2011
That is what Canadian's make off each tonne of coal exported. 55 cents a tonne. That is the royalty.

Wrong, canadians dont make 55cent per tonne, that is what the government makes. They also tax the company and the employees.

Canadians get jobs, houses, schools, bridges, hosptals, etc .....all paid for by foriegn money.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Wrong, canadians dont make 55cent per tonne, that is what the government makes. They also tax the company and the employees.

Canadians get jobs, houses, schools, bridges, hosptals, etc .....all paid for by foriegn money.
The Government is the Canadian people. Wouldn't you like to pay less taxes?. Shouldn't the Canadian people be able to work in a foundary or somewhere that manufactures things powered by coal or coal fired electricity instead of just raw extraction and retail jobs?

You have a bizarre out look on things. Selling my grand kid's coal for 55 cents a tonne is good because very few get jobs in the mines today?

cranky

Time Out
Apr 17, 2011
The Government is the Canadian people. Wouldn't you like to pay less taxes?. Shouldn't the Canadian people be able to work in a foundary or somewhere that manufactures things powered by coal or coal fired electricity instead of just raw extraction and retail jobs?

You have a bizarre out look on things. Selling my grand kid's coal for 55 cents a tonne is good because very few get jobs in the mines today?

uhmmm.....the coal exported is metalurgical coal used in steel production. Japan used to be a major buyer. Now I think it's China. But I've also heard Brazil mentioned.

double uhmmm......85% of Alberta's electricity comes from coal from places line Whitewood

when you quoted 55 cents, do you know if that was thermal coal or metalurgical coal?

furthermore, 55 cents, which province are you quoting?

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
Canada exporting coal ??Just thinking about the east,where is there a coal mine running ? NS Power imports it's coal from south america.