+1 Harper: Afghanistan is no longer a risk

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Afghanistan is no longer a risk: Harper

'This country does not represent a geostrategic risk to the world. It is no longer a source of global terrorism'

Harper toured an area known as Tarnak Farms, once a hotbed of Taliban activity, but now filled with fields of wheat and barley. It was also the site in 2002 of Canada's first four casualties in Afghanistan in a friendly-fire incident.

Combat role set to end

Harper's visit to Afghanistan comes as Canada is in the midst of a transition from its combat mission to a training one. Canada's combat activity is due to end in July, when 950 soldiers will remain in the country to train Afghan military members.

It has not all been successes for Canada in Afghanistan. Sarposa prison, in which Canadians have invested millions of dollars, has twice been the scene of daring jailbreaks of Taliban prisoners. The paved road near the base at Sperwan Ghar that Harper visited Monday came under Taliban fire last week, during its official opening.

Still, Harper said much has been accomplished in Afghanistan during the past decade. "This country does not represent a geostrategic risk to the world. It is no longer a source of global terrorism," he said.

The Canadian training mission is already underway and is slated to run until 2014. By that time Harper and his NATO allies are optimistic the Afghan National Army will be ready to stand on its own.

Afghanistan is no longer a risk: Harper - Politics - CBC News

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
A positive story about Harper and Colpy is nowhere to be found.. hmm..

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Good Grief, indeed. You spend too much time on the dark side. If you think this is a conspiracy theory, check out how much poppy production has risen since invasion. The truth hurts.

I don't deny there is a very big issue with heroin production. I just find your "only threat" comment completely laughable.
The truth will set you free.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I'm pretty sure that the proceeds from the heroin sales went towards building senior's lodges and supporting the local arts scene in Afghanistan.

They are 50 years behind so should we expect them to be Beatniks?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
My dad is obsessed with the Beatnik culture. Apparently Kerouac ad libbed an entire book.. nothing but stream of consciousness on paper.

I can jive with that.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I don't deny there is a very big issue with heroin production. I just find your "only threat" comment completely laughable.
The truth will set you free.
They were no threat to us, their internal policies were well known long before we invaded and had nothing to do with why we invaded and bin Laden and al Qiada were CIA constructs. The ONLY terrorist training camps were in the US training dictators and death squads for banana republics.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
They were no threat to us, their internal policies were well known long before we invaded and had nothing to do with why we invaded and bin Laden and al Qiada were CIA constructs. The ONLY terrorist training camps were in the US training dictators and death squads for banana republics.

You should seek help dude. I'm not even laughing. Seriously.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
You should seek help dude. I'm not even laughing. Seriously.

The part about the CIA is 100% fact. Bin Laden was essentially made in the USA - unintentionally of course because it was part of the blowback - but it was their own actions which set things in motion.

It's pretty well documented and widely accepted by political scientists and foreign policy experts.