The Greedy Hands Of The Great White North - Escaping Canada

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
[SIZE=-1] While the majority of articles on Escape Artist are written from the American perspective, I thought I would write a few words for the readers of Escape Artist from the perspective of your quiet neighbours from the North. I have been reading Escape Artist for several years now, and believe it’s now time to give back a bit to the site that helped me come to the conclusion that leaving one’s country permenantly can be a great thing to do. Why leave Canada? While we have a great standard of living, it comes at the expense of sky-high taxes. I personally prefer a less invasive and therefore less expensive form of government and, since I’m no politician, I’m not in any real position to change the system. That leaves two choices – endure it and stay, or, wave good-bye to the country of my birth. When the opportunity came to leave Canada, I embraced it wholeheartedly. (And let’s not forget snow. I’m not a winter kind of person). For the past year, I have had the pleasure of calling myself an expat. I’m not yet an expat retiree, but trust me, I’m working on it .
Escape Artist .

[/SIZE]

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
It takes a lot of means to leave one's country though. I don't know if I would have the money and time to do it.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
So. You're back in the land of the free. Tell me this country is more invasive than where you've spent the last... whatever amount of years you lived in China married to a national. Hmmm?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
It takes a lot of means to leave one's country though. I don't know if I would have the money and time to do it.

Indeed it does..... as I just went through the process of getting my visa to head to another country.

Medical checks, police checks, passport, the visa application itself and the tickets to fly to where you're heading to...... for me in particular, it rounds up to about $4,600, give or take...... and if your visa application is rejected for whatever reason, you don't get your money back.

So it certainly isn't for everybody and isn't as easy as crossing the street.

What are my reasons for leaving the country?

I got married and almost as equally important..... there's no jobs for what I do here and whatever jobs there are, don't pay enough to make me want to stay..... my wife also found it difficult for the last three years to find a decent job and the job she's working now, although it's the most she's been paid so far since she came to Canada, it's still barely half of what she was making before she came here....... because of this, and because of our desire to want to eventually have a family and give our potential children the best chances in life..... we're moving.

Besides the above and besides the BS we put up with in our government/politicians..... I don't have any serious concerns that made me really want to leave Canada..... which would probably explain why I'm heading to another country that has a very similar way of life...... but with more opportunities for my wife and I.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Shouldn't you cite your sources for your copy-and-pastes, China?
Sure ,Escape Artist....

eh1eh;
So. You're back in the land of the free. Tell me this country is more invasive than where you've spent the last... whatever amount of years you lived in China married to a national. Hmmm
?
eh1eh Blah Blah Blah

Indeed it does..... as I just went through the process of getting my visa to head to another country.

Medical checks, police checks, passport, the visa application itself and the tickets to fly to where you're heading to...... for me in particular, it rounds up to about $4,600, give or take...... and if your visa application is rejected for whatever reason, you don't get your money back.

So it certainly isn't for everybody and isn't as easy as crossing the street.

What are my reasons for leaving the country?

I got married and almost as equally important..... there's no jobs for what I do here and whatever jobs there are, don't pay enough to make me want to stay..... my wife also found it difficult for the last three years to find a decent job and the job she's working now, although it's the most she's been paid so far since she came to Canada, it's still barely half of what she was making before she came here....... because of this, and because of our desire to want to eventually have a family and give our potential children the best chances in life..... we're moving.

Besides the above and besides the BS we put up with in our government/politicians..... I don't have any serious concerns that made me really want to leave Canada..... which would probably explain why I'm heading to another country that has a very similar way of life...... but with more opportunities for my wife and I.
Praxius

heading to another country that has a very similar way of life...... but with more opportunities for my wife and I.
Is it Australia you are going to Praxius?.......

Last edited:

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Is it Australia you are going to Praxius?.......[/QUOTE]
Lived in Sydney for 6 month (till April 20010 ). allot of work ,booming economy ,helps if you speak Chinese (really) ,get into a export / import business , not hard to make $100-150 K/yr ,banks closed during weekend- all most of the stores closed at 5 . Living in china for 7 ys i,ve asked Chinese people what they think about Australia .....- boring . I like Australia .
Google the Escape Artist and look up some articles about Australia.

Last edited:

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Lived in Sydney for 6 month (till April 20010 ). allot of work ,booming economy ,helps if you speak Chinese (really) ,get into a export / import business , not hard to make $100-150 K/yr ,banks closed during weekend- all most of the stores closed at 5 . Living in china for 7 ys i,ve asked Chinese people what they think about Australia .....- boring . I like Australia .
Google the Escape Artist and look up some articles about Australia.

Well speaking Chinese will help you a lot in Toronto or Vancouver too, lol.

Maybe Chinese will feel Australia is boring, but considering most think Canada is boring too, I guess I'll feel right at home :lol:

China you dirty attention *****, buy a plane ticket and **** off out of Canada

Way to act American..... I's don't like yer view, gtf outt'a meh Kun'try soz I's don'have'ta listen teh it.