Are Men Really That Much More Stupid Than Women? High-School Dropout Rates Say "YES"

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Are Men Really That Much More Stupid Than Women? High-School Dropout Rates Say "YES"

In 2004/5, 63.7% of high-school dropouts were male!
Provincial drop-out rates
And, in a recent Globe and Mail (male) article, 40% of male high-school students in Quebec drop out! And, the trend is not much different in the rest of Canada.
The lost boys of Quebec - The Globe and Mail

So, are male students too stupid to complete high school in greater numbers? Or, are our schools failing once again?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Re: Are Men Really That Much More Stupid Than Women? High-School Dropout Rates Say "Y

golly gee whiz.... talk about a highly deceptive thread title. I would even say it borders on trolling. From the first link.

Of the 212,000 drop-outs in Canada in 2004-2005, 135,000 were men (Figure 3). The rates of dropping out among young men was 12.2% in 2004-2005, compared with 7.2% for young women. For both men and women, the drop-out rate has fallen from 1990-1991, when they were 19.2% and 14.0%, respectively.

well, would ya look at that. The drop out rate is falling. Son of a gun eh.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Re: Are Men Really That Much More Stupid Than Women? High-School Dropout Rates Say "Y

And as anyone who knows anything about the subject can tell you, dropping out of high school has no correlation with intelligence.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007

The feminization of education encourages males to say Fuk it.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

:roll::roll::jerk:
Gerry H - The studies over the past number of years have criticized the focus on females and that this is a major contributing factor to the male drop out rate.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

Gerry H - The studies over the past number of years have criticized the focus on females and that this is a major contributing factor to the male drop out rate.

BS, that would be an excuse, and a pretty p*ss poor one at that. There are LOTS of opportunities for males in the education system.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

BS, that would be an excuse, and a pretty p*ss poor one at that. There are LOTS of opportunities for males in the education system.
Instead of running an earlier opinion down with the little laughing clowns - perhaps you should read up on it. Just a suggestion

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

But what are the opportunities in the work force? Women tend to get preference as do minorities. Perhaps some guys would rather get a job and do Adult Ed when they get older. If your parents can't afford to put you through college or university, why be in a hurry to finish high school? Chances are, even if you had a degree, you end up flipping burgers anyway.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

Instead of running an earlier opinion down with the little laughing clowns - perhaps you should read up on it. Just a suggestion

I really don't care what some "study" says. I call BS on it if it states that the education system has been "feminized" and that's the reason for the male drop outs. It's an "excuse". A "copout".

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

I really don't care what some "study" says. I call BS on it if it states that the education system has been "feminized" and that's the reason for the male drop outs. It's an "excuse". A "copout".
Typical Gerry - You are rignt and everyone else is wrong.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

But what are the opportunities in the work force? Women tend to get preference as do minorities. Perhaps some guys would rather get a job and do Adult Ed when they get older. If your parents can't afford to put you through college or university, why be in a hurry to finish high school? Chances are, even if you had a degree, you end up flipping burgers anyway.

Oh...MY....Gawd....... You do realize that the trades are SCREAMING for people. University is NOT the only avenue to a descent wage. unless of course you don't find 80 to 120k per year a descent wage.

Typical Gerry - You are rignt and everyone else is wrong.

No, I'm not willing to accept excuses for why someone dropped when those excuses blame someone else for a persons actions.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

Oh...MY....Gawd....... You do realize that the trades are SCREAMING for people. University is NOT the only avenue to a descent wage. unless of course you don't find 80 to 120k per year a descent wage.
Yes, I know the trades are screaming. My niece is doing her carpentry apprenticeship. I see a lot of guys who would rather do drugs and then sell them to feed their habit, only to discover that they can make a better living partying than working. There are a lot of reasons for the drop out rate, some have to do with hopelessness over the economic situation and chances of survival from all this terrorism and war that are making life to precarious for them to make any long term plans.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

Yes, I know the trades are screaming. My niece is doing her carpentry apprenticeship. I see a lot of guys who would rather do drugs and then sell them to feed their habit, only to discover that they can make a better living partying than working. There are a lot of reasons for the drop out rate, some have to do with hopelessness over the economic situation and chances of survival from all this terrorism and war that are making life to precarious for them to make any long term plans.

and none of those reasons have ANYTHING to do with the supposed "feminization" of the education system.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

and none of those reasons have ANYTHING to do with the supposed "feminization" of the education system.
That is right. Using the feminization card is only covering one aspect of the problem. I think it has more to do with compartmentalized thinking that is epidemic in this society, something to do with receiving our information in ten second sound bites.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

I've never been really convinced that the stuff they teach in schools tests intelligence. Some of the top academics I've met when they get out in real life don't know how to pound sand in a rat hole. :lol:

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island

The top 1000 things on a male high-school student’s mind.
1. Cleavage
2. Short skirts
3. His penis
4. Food
5. Fast cars
6. Video games
7. Sports
8. His abs
9. Part-time jobs
996. The subjunctive
997. The conservation of momentum
999. The fundamental theorem of algebra
1000. Canadian history
How can schools reverse this order?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

That is right. Using the feminization card is only covering one aspect of the problem. I think it has more to do with compartmentalized thinking that is epidemic in this society, something to do with receiving our information in ten second sound bites.

and that would be an excuse.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

The top 1000 things on a male high-school student’s mind.
1. Cleavage
2. Short skirts
3. His penis
4. Food
5. Fast cars
6. Video games
7. Sports
8. His abs
9. Part-time jobs
996. The subjunctive
997. The conservation of momentum
999. The fundamental theorem of algebra