Cheese Please

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
What's your favourite cheese? We kept getting on to the subject on another thread (bacon) so maybe we need to bring this one out into the open...

I like one called leerdhammer!

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
I had melter Swiss on a panini today. Made that puppy real nice and creamy.

Nice flavour. Once had a girlfriend who maintained that melted Swiss was sensual.

I always made sure I had it on hand.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
sharp white cheddar, monteray jack, gouda, harvarti,
parmesan, a few others I can't remember.

sharp white cheddar? Are you talking about the really old stuff? Used to have a friend down in Ontario whose father ate 5 year old white cheddar from some small "cheesery" down there. His wife made him keep it in the bar fridge in case some of the smell got out of the package. Pretty "ripe" stuff, but boy, was it ever great! A small cube was about enough to keep you in cheese heaven for a couple of hours!

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
sharp white cheddar? Are you talking about the really old stuff? Used to have a friend down in Ontario whose father ate 5 year old white cheddar from some small "cheesery" down there. His wife made him keep it in the bar fridge in case some of the smell got out of the package. Pretty "ripe" stuff, but boy, was it ever great! A small cube was about enough to keep you in cheese heaven for a couple of hours!

You make it sound quite scary. lol actually I buy it in
the safeway, and it doesn't have a strong smell at all, so
maybe it's not the 'real' old old stuff.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
You make it sound quite scary. lol actually I buy it in
the safeway, and it doesn't have a strong smell at all, so
maybe it's not the 'real' old old stuff.

That's where I buy it too! It is a nice cheese...(but is it made from raw milk? Just kidding!)...:lol:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Danish blue, Swiss Gruyere, or Brie, or Old Rat trap Cheddar, many more....

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
my favourite cheese for what?

For steak? (creamy blue)

For baguette sandwiches? (emmenthal swiss)

For biscuits? (sharp cheddar)

For burgers? (brie)

For small cubes over salad? (asiago)

For pizzas? (mozzarella and feta)

I think it would be easier to say which cheeses I've had that I didn't like. lol.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
The oldest chedder you can get. There is a factory near my summer place that sells 10 year old chedder. Absolutely great.

I also like Danish Blue cheese.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I must be "alone". There is not a single cheese that sets my mouth watering. I prefer mild cheeses over any. I don't really care for cheese but some foods just require it so - I have it then. Not a lot of flavour to quesadilla, taco's and the like without cheese. What I find really gross is thick slices of cheese. On the rare occassions that I make a toasted cheese and tomato sandwich, my cheese is sliced almost paper thin. My husband slices thick (at least it's thick to me) and just biting into it is gross. He spreads peanut butter onto a piece of bread in much the same way. Tastes like every bite is a tsp. full! Not a topic I can stay in here as I'm almost into gag reflex just thinking about it.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
I must be "alone". There is not a single cheese that sets my mouth watering. I prefer mild cheeses over any. I don't really care for cheese but some foods just require it so - I have it then. Not a lot of flavour to quesadilla, taco's and the like without cheese. What I find really gross is thick slices of cheese. On the rare occassions that I make a toasted cheese and tomato sandwich, my cheese is sliced almost paper thin. My husband slices thick (at least it's thick to me) and just biting into it is gross. He spreads peanut butter onto a piece of bread in much the same way. Tastes like every bite is a tsp. full! Not a topic I can stay in here as I'm almost into gag reflex just thinking about it.

Thick is the only way to have sandwiches...

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
One of my fave foods is grilled sandwiches. I can imagine how darn good that would be in a grilled roast beef sandwich.

Yeah, my mouth is watering now!! Mapledale has a great horseradish cheddar made with fresh california horseradish. The best I've ever had.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Around here, about any cheese that isn't liked much is bland ones or those processed "cheeses". Wife doesn't like stinky ones. I like a couple of them but they are never around here so I don't bother. Old fart cheddar is a fave, wifey likes goat's cheese I think is called Chavagne. Havarti and blue cheese are good. Provolone piccante is tasty as are stilton and Ubriaco Deamarone. There are some cheeses that are aged for decades. I think an outfit named "Hook's" from eastern states somewhere that makes a 15 year old cheese.
Gotta love those cheese competitions. lol

Last edited: