Aerosol air fresheners.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Does anyone have any real knowledge about these air fresheners that some women have a mania about squirting all over the house? Personally I can't stand the bloody compressed nasal sensation I get from breathing this crap. If there was a really bad smell (like a fart) wouldn't opening a window for a couple of minutes be much more sensible? Anybody out there that is in the know?

Canaduh

Derailing Threads
Mar 7, 2008
Southwest WA
Trying to understand the female mind, dangerous territory. Trying to make sense of what they do is time spent better elsewhere.

Canada Counsel

Jan 16, 2010
A Breath of Fresh Air?

Fresh Air out of a container? No such thing. We spend a LOT of time these days reading labels to be sure that the product does NOT include a so-called freshener. Will the yime come that we have to pay more to avoid an inclusion we do not want? SHAME.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
or wash your clothes and take showers

Yep, taking showers for sure. Obviously we have to wash regularly, but showering is often overdone in that is unhealthy in that it dries the skin. I think a bath is more healthy than a shower as the pores get soaked a lot better.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I find that over winter my carpets get smelling a little too much like wet doggie, even though I use a towel to help dry Bobbie off, so I use a bit of baking soda. Sprinkle on carpet, let sit for a bit, then vacuum - works wonders and is environmentally friendly and doesn't hurt my furballs.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
JLM, because women have a much more sensitive sense of smell than men, women are more easily aggravated or disgusted by certain smells than men (unless it's diapers it seems... lol), thus women's obsession with having a 'signature' scent if you will. If you'll notice, women are more likely to breathe in while hugging people, than men are.... smelling a baby or toddler's head, smelling their husbands as they snuggle in. We are simply more tuned to find scents pleasurable than men it seems. Our houses are no exception, since they are essentially a cocoon we build for the people we love.

That makes the air freshener industry an easy solution to creating 'ambiance'. It means one doesn't need to actually clean the carpet, they can simply mask the smell with a preferred one. They don't need to take the garbage out, they can simply spray chemical laden scent around to mask that of the meat wrapping that's gone bad.

Personally, I love to make my home smell good. But, I do it by cleaning, and if I use a scent, it's an essential oil, or citrus oil, not a chemical in a can. I also keep a layer of kitty litter in the bottom of my garbage can. I dust furniture with baking soda for a couple hours on the days that I'm going to vacuum it. Carpets get the same treatment in the couple rooms that I have carpet.

And if I REALLY want my house to smell extra special... I bake. :smile:

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Does anyone have any real knowledge about these air fresheners that some women have a mania about squirting all over the house? Personally I can't stand the bloody compressed nasal sensation I get from breathing this crap. If there was a really bad smell (like a fart) wouldn't opening a window for a couple of minutes be much more sensible? Anybody out there that is in the know?

chemical sensations are always bad in the long run

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
JLM, because women have a much more sensitive sense of smell than men, women are more easily aggravated or disgusted by certain smells than men (unless it's diapers it seems... lol), thus women's obsession with having a 'signature' scent if you will. If you'll notice, women are more likely to breathe in while hugging people, than men are.... smelling a baby or toddler's head, smelling their husbands as they snuggle in. We are simply more tuned to find scents pleasurable than men it seems. Our houses are no exception, since they are essentially a cocoon we build for the people we love.

That makes the air freshener industry an easy solution to creating 'ambiance'. It means one doesn't need to actually clean the carpet, they can simply mask the smell with a preferred one. They don't need to take the garbage out, they can simply spray chemical laden scent around to mask that of the meat wrapping that's gone bad.

Personally, I love to make my home smell good. But, I do it by cleaning, and if I use a scent, it's an essential oil, or citrus oil, not a chemical in a can. I also keep a layer of kitty litter in the bottom of my garbage can. I dust furniture with baking soda for a couple hours on the days that I'm going to vacuum it. Carpets get the same treatment in the couple rooms that I have carpet.

And if I REALLY want my house to smell extra special... I bake. :smile:

I remember in the early years of our marriage my wife used Pinesol to clean the bathroom and I loved that smell. Gonna to see if I can get her to start again.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
I remember in the early years of our marriage my wife used Pinesol to clean the bathroom and I loved that smell. Gonna to see if I can get her to start again.

Bad memorys there,up north there was a bottle in each outhouse to pour in the honey bucket to keep the smell down.8O

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

Ugh. Make your own cleaner, and buy some essential oils to get the scent you like.

Here is a recipe for one, and conversation on other things to use for cleaning.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I don't use any spray scents at all, I would rather clean
the smell out, than cover it up.
I use 'green' bathroom cleaners, non smelly.
I use a very light perfume on myself, one that is very
soft and hardly has a scent at all , don't ask me the name, would have to go and check.
I can't seem to convince my husband that you have to actually get rid of a smell, cannot spray over it.

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
I don't use any spray scents at all, I would rather clean
the smell out, than cover it up.
I use 'green' bathroom cleaners, non smelly.
I use a very light perfume on myself, one that is very
soft and hardly has a scent at all , don't ask me the name, would have to go and check.
I can't seem to convince my husband that you have to actually get rid of a smell, cannot spray over it.

We're into "green" cleaners too...water! Mind you, we heat it up in a steamer first, but does a heck of a job in cleaning and removing smells. The one we bought has a handy little squeegee attachment that does a heck of a job on windows too...no streaks, and no Windex necessary.