Canadianisms - Unique Words & Expressions

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
One of the things that makes Canada an interesting place is its wide variety of just about everything, including unique words and expressions that exist in different parts of this vast land.

Does anyone know of any of some words/expressions that set our version of English apart from the one spoken in other parts of the world. I'm thinking it might be a fun way to celebrate our differences...

Example: When I first moved to BC, I kept hearing the word "skookum." I had been around the country a lot, but that was a new one on me!

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
This is a skookum topic, CB. :D
I am not sure if this is strictly a Canuck thing or not but some people apparently speak to topics rather than speaking to people. Whatever happened to "speaking about this topic"?
"Addressing this topic"? What's that? You are sending mail to the topic?
Are we now to start ringing up the topic? Yahooing the topic? IMing the topic? PMing the topic?
Nonsense. I talk to people via the various forms of media. I don't talk to topics. (Sometimes dogs, cats, plants, and other critters, too)

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
This is a skookum topic, CB. :D
I am not sure if this is strictly a Canuck thing or not but some people apparently speak to topics rather than speaking to people. Whatever happened to "speaking about this topic"?
"Addressing this topic"? What's that? You are sending mail to the topic?
Are we now to start ringing up the topic? Yahooing the topic? IMing the topic? PMing the topic?
Nonsense. I talk to people via the various forms of media. I don't talk to topics. (Sometimes dogs, cats, plants, and other critters, too)

Having said that (!), my brother gets irritated by people turning nouns into verbs...I kind of like it myself. I have go and "action" the dish detergent...

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Canadianism: One person runs their shopping cart into the heels of the person
in front of them. Both apologize to each other. Witnessing this behaviour let
my Daughter-in-Law know she wasn't still residing in her country of her birth.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
Has anyone ever clearly defined "over yonder" ? Prairie folks might relate best to this one, especially those from farms. I take it to mean "over there"...

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
Overheard in an bar down east somewhere...

"Stay where you're at and I'll come where you're to."

Could have been Newfoundland...all I remember it was in a bar...(at least, I think I remember that...)

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
One from the east (don't remember the specific place):
I turned around and there she was, gone!
That's either a Newfie or a New Scottish thing. lol It also works with inanimate objects like levels, wrenches, keys, etc. There they were, gone.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
That's either a Newfie or a New Scottish thing. lol It also works with inanimate objects like levels, wrenches, keys, etc. There they were, gone.

Good point...in fact, I think the person in the bar was telling a story about how he lost his car! (..."she" was gone!)... :lol:

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C

Could have been Newfoundland...all I remember it was in a bar...(at least, I think I remember that...)

I've been trying to remember that one for the last hour.
Lots of easterners on the pipeline so I heard it lots.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Has anyone ever clearly defined "over yonder" ? Prairie folks might relate best to this one, especially those from farms. I take it to mean "over there"...
Yup. It means "over there". There's an old saying that means "everywhere" and it goes something like "here, hither, and yon", too. I think it's related. :D

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

"over yonder" means within your line of sight. It takes on a special meaning
when your line of sight is only interrupted by the curvature of the earth...:lol::lol::lol:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009

I think it makes more sense if you add another "o" on the end of the last word. "Stay where you are and I'll come where you are, too" as in "also".