Born Canadian

nobility

Sep 30, 2009
Northern British Columbia
As a persecuted Canadian, I joined this forum. I choose to live here, but more and more I am feeling the sting of not being what is legally defined as aboriginal or indigenous. Regardless of the legal definitions, I know who I am, and I am of this land. So, I would like to discuss this topic generally, with a positive spin.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
As a persecuted Canadian, I joined this forum. I choose to live here, but more and more I am feeling the sting of not being what is legally defined as aboriginal or indigenous. Regardless of the legal definitions, I know who I am, and I am of this land. So, I would like to discuss this topic generally, with a positive spin.

This is a pretty vague outline of what it is you want to discuss. Who is and how are you being persecuted any differently than anybody else? How do you put a positive spin on persecution?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
lol You aren't alone. My kids are ¼ Anishinaabe and yet aren't recognized as such by the feds because I am native and husband isn't. Yet the kids of parents where the father is native and the mother isn't are considered native. It's a palefaced male rule. There's another aboriginal sort here but I have a suspicion he's out in the bush with his bow attempting to be the stereotypical hunter type Injun. :D There's probably more but CDN and I are the only ones I can think of at the moment.

nobility

Sep 30, 2009
Northern British Columbia
Thank-you.

So then, to clarify my position, its frustrating when you live as a hunter-gather, also who grows own food, is close to the land in these senses, and born Canadian and yet there is the double standard of indigenous versus non-indigenous. What I feel is that for me, the laws of this land are restraining me from full participation in my culture, as a Canadian. I grew up during a time before all the land claims started, and, for me there was a better interaction at that time, between those with a status card and those without one. Now I am whining a little, but perhaps its harder when your children have to play all this out in the local schools as well. The other day one of my kids said that he is not aboriginal, even though his Dad is status, and said as well that he wants nothing to do with the concept. Well I understand that, since it seems to be something that creates a lot of negativity in the communities we live in and near. I guess when I said positive spin, I am looking for some enlightenment. Thank-you.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The Indian Act was designed with cultural genocide in mind. I don't know about the Anishinaabe, but the Sinixt were a matriarchal society as were many others. By only dealing with the war chiefs, the Crown basically made laws and treaties that in reality have no bearing on the aboriginals' reality. As far as I'm concerned, no treaty is valid because none were signed by the women.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Thank-you.

So then, to clarify my position, its frustrating when you live as a hunter-gather, also who grows own food, is close to the land in these senses, and born Canadian and yet there is the double standard of indigenous versus non-indigenous. What I feel is that for me, the laws of this land are restraining me from full participation in my culture, as a Canadian. I grew up during a time before all the land claims started, and, for me there was a better interaction at that time, between those with a status card and those without one. Now I am whining a little, but perhaps its harder when your children have to play all this out in the local schools as well. The other day one of my kids said that he is not aboriginal, even though his Dad is status, and said as well that he wants nothing to do with the concept. Well I understand that, since it seems to be something that creates a lot of negativity in the communities we live in and near. I guess when I said positive spin, I am looking for some enlightenment. Thank-you.
My pleasure. :)
Hubby and I both were disgusted with the public school system so we did the majority of the instruction with our two. They came out better educated than their counterparts in the system. I think private schools also do a better job of instruction. That's a bit expensive, though, I hear. Perhaps a different local school may be less uncomfortable for natives?
I hope you boy learns soon it's best to accept who he is in the long run.

Sometimes these sites provide decent sources of info:

First Perspective

Assembly of First Nations*-*Welcome

Political Science

CBC is ok I guess, but limited:

Issues Facing Canada’s Aboriginal Peoples - CBC Archives

No doubt CDN Bear can add to those. :D

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
The Indian Act was designed with cultural genocide in mind. I don't know about the Anishinaabe, but the Sinixt were a matriarchal society as were many others. By only dealing with the war chiefs, the Crown basically made laws and treaties that in reality have no bearing on the aboriginals' reality. As far as I'm concerned, no treaty is valid because none were signed by the women.
Yes, we are matriarchal. Or were. It's probably a mix now.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
nobility,

Hunting and gathering were traditionally done by tribal or extended family units. Trying to do that on one's own is near impossible. I know because I tried. But the way things are, children do not want that lifestyle. They want to integrate and have all the trappings of this technological society. I know it must be hard to see your children turn their back on their culture. I have listened to many of my friends lament this trend.

I don't know what can be done. I find it sad that it may have to pass away. It is a culture that I adopted because I found my own bereft of any value. Now to watch many of the children deny their heritage is difficult to deal with, but I see many young people who are proud of it. But it is a very complex issue.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Thank-you.

I'm just a tad confused with a few things you have said.....

How is the "law of the land" restraining you from "full participation" in your culture? What is your "culture"?

As for the boy.... if his Father is status, then there is nothing stopping the children of said Father to getting recognised as status also.

Why is your son so set against wanting to be recognised as "aboriginal"?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
nobility,

Hunting and gathering were traditionally done by tribal or extended family units. Trying to do that on one's own is near impossible. I know because I tried. But the way things are, children do not want that lifestyle. They want to integrate and have all the trappings of this technological society. I know it must be hard to see your children turn their back on their culture. I have listened to many of my friends lament this trend.

I don't know what can be done. I find it sad that it may have to pass away. It is a culture that I adopted because I found my own bereft of any value. Now to watch many of the children deny their heritage is difficult to deal with, but I see many young people who are proud of it. But it is a very complex issue.

Hmmmmm.... Bear and his family seem to be able to enjoy BOTH their native culture and modern conveniences.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Hmmmmm.... Bear and his family seem to be able to enjoy BOTH their native culture and modern conveniences.
I know many families who have found a balance between the two cultures and many who are in constant conflict with both. Like I said it is a complicated issue.

I have obviously reintegrated back into my culture as well but I find it soulless compared to my former life of living in the bush. If I had not been hit by that logging truck, I would probably be still out there.

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
Thank-you.

I would suggest to you that it is somewhat confusing and frustrating for all of us.

To try and be both a hunter-gatherer and a sedentary practiser of agriculture is by definition somewhat at odds historically.

In any case to practice a historically correct indigenous lifestyle would be a very risky proposition.
A change in weather, a lack of rain, a crop failure, a change or delay in an animal migration pattern or perhaps just a bad hunting decision or personal injury.
Any of these things would possibly or even probably result in the death by starvation of an entire family unit.
The support of a tribe would be critical in uncertain times and even then the mortality rate could significantly increase simply because of an error in judgement.

These days those kind of risks are deemed unacceptable by all societies.

High powered rifles with telescopic sights.
Cell phones.
Four wheel drive vehicles.
Medical clinics.
Welfare and EI.

I suggest it is impossible to correctly practice a historically and ancient relationship with nature when you are driving a quad.
With a cellphone in your pocket.
And the kids back home playing on an Xbox.

So I guess it's a bit of a trade off.
Unfortunately I feel that the entitlement society we live in today is not helping in a solution to the existing differences in cultures.

My DNA shows Indigenous Peoples bloodlines.
What about me?
When do I get to hunt out of season?
When do my kids get free schooling?
When do I get a treaty card?
Is it a question of degree?
And if so, why do the Metis get treated differently?
And so on.

So I guess the best thing for all is to try and treat everyone else with a little respect.
If we all had the same rights and freedoms.
Regardless of colour or sex or religion.
And if we no longer had "special" or "entitled" folks, just people that shared a common responsibility to community.

It could be little less confusing for all.

Trex

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I would suggest to you that it is somewhat confusing and frustrating for all of us.

To try and be both a hunter-gatherer and a sedentary practiser of agriculture is by definition somewhat at odds historically.

In any case to practice a historically correct indigenous lifestyle would be a very risky proposition.
A change in weather, a lack of rain, a crop failure, a change or delay in an animal migration pattern or perhaps just a bad hunting decision or personal injury.
Any of these things would possibly or even probably result in the death by starvation of an entire family unit.
The support of a tribe would be critical in uncertain times and even then the mortality rate could significantly increase simply because of an error in judgement.

These days those kind of risks are deemed unacceptable by all societies.

High powered rifles with telescopic sights.
Cell phones.
Four wheel drive vehicles.
Medical clinics.
Welfare and EI.

I suggest it is impossible to correctly practice a historically and ancient relationship with nature when you are driving a quad.
With a cellphone in your pocket.
And the kids back home playing on an Xbox.

So I guess it's a bit of a trade off.
Unfortunately I feel that the entitlement society we live in today is not helping in a solution to the existing differences in cultures.

My DNA shows Indigenous Peoples bloodlines.
What about me?
When do I get to hunt out of season?
When do my kids get free schooling?
When do I get a treaty card?
Is it a question of degree?
And if so, why do the Metis get treated differently?
And so on.

So I guess the best thing for all is to try and treat everyone else with a little respect.
If we all had the same rights and freedoms.
Regardless of colour or sex or religion.
And if we no longer had "special" or "entitled" folks, just people that shared a common responsibility to community.

It could be little less confusing for all.

Trex
.... in a nutshell, the "golden rule". :D

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
As a persecuted Canadian, I joined this forum. I choose to live here, but more and more I am feeling the sting of not being what is legally defined as aboriginal or indigenous.
Join the club, I'm Native and I'm feeling the sting of just about everything right now. I was crushed in the recession. I almost lost everything. Now "I" have to rebuild. It will take me a few years, but "I" will pick my self up, yet again.

Regardless of the legal definitions, I know who I am, and I am of this land.
That's good, then you shouldn't have any issues with anyone else. It's usually when you have an issue with yourself, that you look to project them on other races or things.

So, I would like to discuss this topic generally, with a positive spin.
Here's positive, look forward, stop looking to put some onus on some other race and keep your chin up.

Thank-you.

So then, to clarify my position, its frustrating when you live as a hunter-gather, also who grows own food, is close to the land in these senses, and born Canadian and yet there is the double standard of indigenous versus non-indigenous.
There's no double standard. Your ancestors made a deal with mine, at the time you got the lions share, the tables turned, now my peeps is getting the better end. That's how the world turns and the Teepee burns dude.

What I feel is that for me, the laws of this land are restraining me from full participation in my culture, as a Canadian.
That's just BS. No one is stopping you from being Canadian and expressing your culture as such. Unless of course you are insinuating that you wish to partake in the slaughter of Natives as was a tradition of the Europeans. That of course is about the only part of "your" culture that I can think of you being legally restrained from doing.

I grew up during a time before all the land claims started, and, for me there was a better interaction at that time, between those with a status card and those without one.
That's because morons on either side of the issue want to make an issue out of it.

Now I am whining a little, but perhaps its harder when your children have to play all this out in the local schools as well. The other day one of my kids said that he is not aboriginal, even though his Dad is status, and said as well that he wants nothing to do with the concept.
That's nothing completely strange. I went through a very similar phase as well. Hell I still struggle with the two sides of my ancestry.

Well I understand that, since it seems to be something that creates a lot of negativity in the communities we live in and near.
Only if you let it.

I guess when I said positive spin, I am looking for some enlightenment.
Enlightenment is not always an easy thing to find, sometimes one must look inside themselves.

I know many families who have found a balance between the two cultures and many who are in constant conflict with both. Like I said it is a complicated issue.
Ain't that the truth.

Reactions: Spade

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Hey, WB, Mr. Bear. :D
Hey babe, what's new?

I'm not hunting yet, this weekend Bow season opens, so you'll see even less of me, then the less of me you've seen, lol.

I've been concentrating my posting efforts on another site I haunt. It's kind of near and dear to me, so I'm giving it my full attention right now. I was informed there was new member with a Native flavour. So I figured I'ld cruise through and drop my 2 cents in the jar.

How's Les?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Mellower than when he left for fighting bushfires. Maybe male menopaws or something. lol He's still pretty content with life, though. Kids are great. Oldest is preggers.
How's your war department? and kids?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Mellower than when he left for fighting bushfires. Maybe male menopaws or something. lol He's still pretty content with life, though. Kids are great. Oldest is preggers.
How's your war department? and kids?
SCB's in good spirits, she's getting all ready for hunting, the kids...well, I love them to death, but they are mine and I do know why some animals eat their young...:lol:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
SCB's in good spirits, she's getting all ready for hunting, the kids...well, I love them to death, but they are mine and I do know why some animals eat their young...:lol:
Yeah. Odd concept and feeling, isn't it. lol Glad to hear they're all happy and healthy.