Many general questions about Canada

foreignCanadian

Sep 11, 2009
Hello all,

(Gonna be a big post so bear with me 8O)

I am a Canadian citizen but I have never lived in Canada, I was born there whilst my parents were there temporarily for Dad's job, and thus am Canadian by birth. We left however before I was 3.

Anyhow, I am sick of Australia, the country I'm in right now, and considering moving abroad, and since I have Canadian citizenship I thought I'd do some research on the place.

So firstly, what are the politics like there? Liberal or conservative or libertarian or different?

Much tax?

What is Canada like for civil liberties? Things like police powers, free expression and whatnot, excessive regulation, traffic management etc.

Do stores close early in the cities? (Thinking of Vancouver or Toronto)

I currently speak a little French, but not well, is that gonna be a problem?

What are the people like in the cities?

Are the drivers any good? (I HATE Australian drivers:lol:)

Is there much crime in the cities?

Is the economy doing OK?

Right turn on red?

Can I own pistols? (I am a state level sporting handgunner in my current home)

Will I be able to find an apartment in the city for a reasonable price?

What don't you like about Canada? What are some of the things that are bad about living there?

Thanks in advance for any answers and I sincerely appologize for the massive post:lol:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
There is 'nothing' I don't like about Canada. I was born close to vancouver, now live
on vancouver island, feel like the luckiest person in the world, and I thank my
parents and grandparents for emmigrating here many years ago, from Ireland
and England. I will not go anywhere else in the world ever, to live.

Stores are open 7 days a week, and some, every night.
The bit of french you know will be helpful, if you move to toronot/montreal area,
not needed in the west, unless you want to work for government.
People are great here, quite polite and reserved, but a great mix of everything,
very multi cultured.
Sure there is crime in the cities, but not sure how it compares with Austrailia.
Economy is doing quite well, and growing, (at least, in the west)
Yes, right turn on red.
Apartments in the big cities are expensive, but don't know austrailias prices, so
can't compare.
I'll leave political explanations to others, I'm sure you will receive many, good
luck sorting them out.
Liberal, Conservative and NDP.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Hello all,

I am a Canadian citizen but I have never lived in Canada, I was born there whilst my parents were there temporarily for Dad's job, and thus am Canadian by birth. We left however before I was 3.

Anyhow, I am sick of Australia, the country I'm in right now, and considering moving abroad, and since I have Canadian citizenship I thought I'd do some research on the place.
Nice to meet you. :)

So firstly, what are the politics like there? Liberal or conservative or libertarian or different?
Idiotic most of the time. Partisan all of the time. It varies between liberal centrist and conservative centrist.

Much tax?
  • 15% on the first $40,726 of taxable income, +
  • 22% on the next $40,726 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income between $40,726 and $81,452), +
  • 26% on the next $44,812 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income between $81,452 and $126,264), +
  • 29% of taxable income over $126,264.

What is Canada like for civil liberties? Things like police powers, free expression and whatnot, excessive regulation, traffic management etc.
I can tan topless in public or breast-feed my kids in public. :D

I have no idea about stores in cities. I'm a bush ape. :D
Speaking French varies depending on the area you are in. You'll get by. You may have a problem with some of the eastern maritime people, though. lol Newfies are definitely a hoot to listen to.

Not very sociable unless you are in a clique.

They're nuts. First off, they all drive on the wrong side of the road (except for the lunatics and drunks). They're in a hurry.

Depends upon the city and which area in the city.

Is the economy doing OK?
It could be worse, for sure.

Right turn on red?
Unless indicated otherwise, yes.

Loads of bureaucracy involved, but yes.

Reasonable is relative. :D

What don't you like about Canada? What are some of the things that are bad about living there?
Governments, politicians, and pretty much everything else is ok.

Thanks in advance for any answers and I sincerely appologize for the massive post:lol:
This is hardly "massive" You ought to see Sir Jehovah Pompass (aka Sir Joseph Porter) on a roll. Or Stretch ( I think he's an Aussie).

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Hello all,

Welcome to Canadian Content, foreignCanadian!

It’s a pleasure to meet you. Don’t be concerned with your post length!

The two traditional governing parties are the Conservative Party of Canada (which presently forms Her Majesty’s Government for Canada), and the Liberal Party of Canada (which presently forms Her Majesty’s Loyal Opposition). Despite having a “Conservative” Government, I think you’d discover that Canada remains relatively progressively governed (compared to our neighbours on the world stage, the Commonwealth of Australia included). Contributing to the diversity of debate are also the Bloc Québécois (which garners its seats exclusively as a separatist entity), and the New Democratic Party of Canada. It should be easy enough for you to adapt to Canada’s system of Government; we have much of the same conventions and ceremonies, with some tweaks here and there.

Much tax?
AnnaG very graciously explained our tax scheme above.

I would only add that there is also a 5% Goods and Services Tax added onto some purchase and service costs, and the provinces (with the exclusion of Alberta) each charge a provincial sales tax too. There are also a few other taxes that may vary as you cross the provinces, such as added taxes on alcohol.

I would consider Canada to be reasonably progressive.

Speaking to Vancouver, most stores are open through nine o’clock (some later).

That depends on what part of the nation you’d choose to move to. If you’re going to select Québec or New Brunswick, I would strongly recommend a functional handle on the language (though you could absolutely get by without it). For any other provinces (with the exception of some select regions of British Columbia), French is an asset but not at all a requirement for your day-to-day workings.

I’ve found that people tend to keep to themselves.

I wouldn’t say it’s a pressing problem—the issue of crime seems to be blown out of proportion by the media.

Is the economy doing OK?
Yes.

Right turn on red?
Yes. (Unless there’s a sign that prohibits it.)

I would have to say that I doubt it (at least by my understanding of ‘reasonable’).

Nothing comes to mind.

foreignCanadian

Sep 11, 2009
Thanks all for your answers.

I have some follow up questions:

max speed limit? total # demerit points on a clean license?

Anyone have any idea how hard it is to transfer a foreign drivers license (mine is restricted, automatic only if that matters)?

I would also love some follow up information on gun ownership if anyone has it, things like magazine capacity/calibre restrictions, etc. types of ammunition, quantity I can own at any time, stuff like that.

How bad do the winters get in the cities?

Would you reccomend Vancouver or Toronto? Why? (I am a young single guy, so more cosmopolitan is better, not family oriented.)

Thanks again!

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
Anna , you want to adopt a 45 yr old kid that needs , umm some breast feeding?
Hey FC you haven't asked about the weather .....bbbrrrr

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Somewhat more (small "l") liberal than in Australia, ........all political parties are jammed together in the middle of the road......but our middle is a little to the left of Australia's...IMHO

Much tax?

Define "much"????? :) Yes.

Excellent civil liberties, so far. Although we do have a Political Correctness problem..........

I have to correct Five Paradox on this...........only in Quebec, and to a lesser degree in the north on the province of New Brunswick....I live in the largest city in New Brunswick, and to hear French spoken here is a slight oddity...very very English.

Stay the hell out of Quebec. :)

No.

Is the economy doing OK?

No. But better than most places.

Right turn on red?

Yes.

Yes. Take two courses (one for long guns, one for "restricted weapons"), get a Possession and Acquisition license (less than $100 for 5 years), join a gun club (Come to New Brunswick, there are many!) and you can own any handgun, semi-auto or revolver, with a barrel length of more than 105 mm, a mag capacity of no more than 10 rounds....only .25ACP and .32 caliber pistols are banned. Don't ask why. It doesn't have to make sense, its gov't policy.

Depends where.

It's frickin' COLD!!!!!!!

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Anna , you want to adopt a 45 yr old kid that needs , umm some breast feeding?
Hey FC you haven't asked about the weather .....bbbrrrr
You're older than I am. You'd get a bottle. lol

Given the choice between Toronto and Vancouver, I'd choose Vancouver simply because of the climate. TO is too cold in the winter and too humid in the summer. Southern BC is probably the mildest area in Canada for climate.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
If you want a fairly moderate winter, settle in the south west of british columbia,
and vancouver island, can get cold for a short period of time, usually January, but
sometimes, no snow at all, or sub zero temps.
otherwise, you'll have to deal with 'real' winters, in the rest of canada.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
You're older than I am. You'd get a bottle. lol

Given the choice between Toronto and Vancouver, I'd choose Vancouver simply because of the climate. TO is too cold in the winter and too humid in the summer. Southern BC is probably the mildest area in Canada for climate.
But I need my calcium ;-) You would be saving a life 8O
I know theres a sceintific research saying the fresher the better ;-)

canadafan

Sep 12, 2009
My least favourite thing about Canada is the erratic weather that we seem to get. Mother nature can never decide whether it should be hot or cold and the right times of year.

GernB

GernB
Oct 21, 2009
Lethbridge AB
Thanks all for your answers.

I have some follow up questions:

max speed limit? total # demerit points on a clean license?

Anyone have any idea how hard it is to transfer a foreign drivers license (mine is restricted, automatic only if that matters)?

I would also love some follow up information on gun ownership if anyone has it, things like magazine capacity/calibre restrictions, etc. types of ammunition, quantity I can own at any time, stuff like that.

How bad do the winters get in the cities?

Would you reccomend Vancouver or Toronto? Why? (I am a young single guy, so more cosmopolitan is better, not family oriented.)

Thanks again!

Speed limits vary. Generally 100 kph to 120 kph. Demerits? Don't know, ndever had more than five.

Afaik, you can't transfer a foreign license, you have to apply here. Don't know what kind of test required, if any.

Can't tell you much about guns,as I only have an ancient shotgun.

Winters are not real pretty anywhere here, although in southern Alberta we get periodic breaks from the chinooks, which can raise temperatures 20C in an hour. Vancouver is mild but gray and rainy.

I'd recommend Vancouver over Toronto. Montreal and Calgary are okay too.

jambo101

Electoral Member
Sep 18, 2009
Montreal
What problems are you having with living in Australia?As you may go to all the trouble of moving only to discover the same problems here.