Summer Solstice Parties?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I normally like to do the midnight golf tourney in Yellowknife but have missed the past 2 years and will this year again.

This year I'm going to envoke a golem from Hank Williams Sr's corpse by chanting and killing a few chickens and having sex with a virgin at noon 11:45 CST when the sun of God is at most high.

Reactions: DurkaDurka

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Tomorrow is the first Aboriginal Day celebration in Nakusp, as well as Solstice. We will hopefully (weather permitting) drumming in the park, feasting on fry bread and other goodies and hopefully having the Sinixt recognized in their homeland after being "extinct" since 1956. The chief and his daughter will be here to open the festivities.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Can anyone beat this for a summer solstice party?

Every year on the summer solstice, thousands of revellers gather at Stonehenge to watch the sun rise. Amongst them are a motley crew of Morris dancers, musicians and hippies.

An incredible 36,500 people attended today's party, which is a record.

Many druids and pagans also attend. There were 16 druids at today's festivities.

One of the theories of why Stonehenge was built is that the Ancient British used it to worship the Sun.

On midsummer's morning, the sun rises directly over the Heel Stone (which stands outside the entrance of Stonehenge) and the first rays shine into the centre of the monument between the open arms of the horseshoe arrangement.

View from the centre of Stonehenge towards the Heel Stone,
and a photograph of the sun rising over the Heel Stone

It is this which revellers come to see.

People from all over the world attend this event. It's only in the last 10 years or so that the public have been able to go right up to the stones and even touch them. Before then, people used to attend this event illegally.

Hippies, pagans and party-goers (36,500 of them) descend on Stonehenge for Summer Solstice... but grey skies obscure sunrise

By Daily Mail Reporter
21st June 2009
Daily Mail

Record numbers of people descended on Stonehenge this morning to mark the summer solstice.

Despite the sun not making an appearance in an overcast sky, around 36,500 people enjoyed a carnival atmosphere at the ancient stone circle on Salisbury Plain, Wiltshire.

An eccentric mix of Morris dancers, pagans dressed in their traditional robes and musicians playing guitars and drums gathered alongside visitors from across the world.

The good weather and the fact that the solstice fell over a weekend drew in the crowds from around 7pm last night.

Enlarge
Record numbers of people descended on Stonehenge this morning to mark the summer solstice
Enlarge
Cloudy skies meant that the sun was not seen, but the event stayed dry unlike last year

Enlarge
It wasn't all love and happiness: A man is arrested shortly after sunrise as thousands of people gather at Stonehenge

As the sun rose at 4.58am a cheer went up from those gathered at the stone circle.

Bleary-eyed revellers wrapped in blankets, ponchos, cloaks and bin liners gathered at Heel Stone, the pillar at the edge of the prehistoric monument, to welcome the sunrise.

English Heritage and Wiltshire police had anticipated the biggest turnout yet and had drafted in extra officers to patrol the site and to clamp down on anti-social behaviour and drugs.

Restrictions were placed on the amount of alcohol people could bring in, with security checks at the main entrance.

But the event was a peaceful one with just 25 arrests overnight for minor public disorder and drug-related offences, a Wiltshire police spokesman said.

Sam Edwards, from Wiltshire police, said: 'We are very pleased everything went to plan. The atmosphere has been very good, especially around the stones.

Enlarge
Isabelle Dale, 16, from Hunstanton, Norfolk during her first visit to the Summer Solstice at Stonehenge.

Enlarge
A druid poses for photographs

Enlarge
Grey start to the day: Sunrise was obscured by clouds

'Most people have been very co-operative with us and very understanding of the reasons for our presence.

'We would not tolerate drugs at all and our approach was to police the event as we would police Salisbury city centre on a Saturday night.'

The main route into Stonehenge, the A303, was closed due to volumes of traffic this morning and the car park was full with 6500 cars by 3am.

This year 200 peace stewards and security officers were brought in alongside police.

English Heritage drafted in 100 portable toilets for the event.

Peter Carson, head of Stonehenge, said 31,000 people attended last year's event.

'We were expecting it to be busy this year, but we had ensured that it has been a peaceful and enjoyable solstice,' he said.

'The conditions of entry ensured it was a safe event. In the past it is those people who have consumed excess alcohol which caused disorder.

Enlarge
Mid-summer madness: A woman clutching a plastic bottle raises her arms in the air during this morning's wild party
Enlarge
Laid out: The all-night partying dragged some people down
Enlarge
Good policing: A Police Constable takes a photograph of revellers as the Sun rose at 4:58am
'
There has been a great atmosphere and where else would you want to be on midsummer's day?'

Adele Stanton, 27, and partner Simon Banks Van Zyl, 38, brought their children Llywelyn, three, and Gruffydd, 18 months, from Portsmouth.

Miss Stanton said: 'I am from South Africa and this is my first visit to Stonehenge so I am quite emotional.

'It's been great, we wanted to bring the children to be a part of it because they are a family event.'

Mr Banks Van Zyl said: 'I first came in 1991 when it was illegal to be here so I climbed through the fencing, it was a but like the great escape but it was exciting.

'So I never had to queue in traffic before, but the amount of people here makes special, it is a celebration of life, history and going back to our roots.'

Musician Nick Wells, 50, from Surrey, came to Stonehenge for solstice illegally in the 1980s.

'I've been playing the Gadulka, a 13-string Bulgarian fiddle in the circle, its been magical,' he said.

Enlarge
Police had warned they would crack down on anti-social behaviour, treating the event as they would a Saturday night in a city centre

Enlarge
An all-night party on a smaller scale took place a few miles from Stonehenge at the Avebury stone circle

'Everyone has been very peaceful and I am surprised I have not seen any trouble at all.

'It is nice that people can get so close to the stones but to me it is almost sacrilegious to touch them.'

An all-night party on a smaller scale took place a few miles from Stonehenge at the Avebury stone circle.

Druid Jim Saunders, 33, from Reading, is a member of the Aes Dana Grove order.

He said: 'The significance of Stonehenge on the solstice to me is to do my best to educate as many people as possible in our culture.

'We carried out the Awen ritual in the circle by chanting to raise the energy and ask for peace and healing.

'There were 16 druids here today but only three of us made it into the circle.

'It is nice to see a lot of people here because there is no better place to learn about our culture and history.

'But it is upsetting to see so much litter, and some people can be disrespectful.'

He added: 'Hopefully from the people we have spoken to today we can plant a seed of knowledge that will grow.'

Enlarge
Loved up: Two party goers dance in the circle. Druids criticised the amount of litter left at the site

Enlarge
The main route into Stonehenge, the A303, was closed due to volumes of traffic this morning and the car park was full with 6500 cars by 3am

dailymail.co.uk

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Tomorrow is the first Aboriginal Day celebration in Nakusp, as well as Solstice. We will hopefully (weather permitting) drumming in the park, feasting on fry bread and other goodies and hopefully having the Sinixt recognized in their homeland after being "extinct" since 1956. The chief and his daughter will be here to open the festivities.
Extinct humans.....does that just really piss you off the way it does me?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Extinct humans.....does that just really piss you off the way it does me?

Especially when they are not. They were extincted by an order in council by the Canadian government in 1956 when we were just starting negotiations with the Yanks over the Columbia River Treaty. They were never extinct but they were written out of the books so the government would not have to deal with land claims. I have personally met over fifty of them.

I just published my book about them: Ghost peoples - the Sinixt: Recovering from Extinction.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
**** that's even worse. That means no entitlements or even recognition as a human being.

That's right. The chief had some ruptured disks in his spine and had to go to the states to have it operated on because he is denied any status here. Even his grand daughter who was born here 4 years ago will have to go to US to get educated. Their application to get her status was refused because she doesn't exist according to the government.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
You mean they aren't part of the machine and are actual real Canadians?

Dude do you have an idea how advantageous that is?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
You mean they aren't part of the machine and are actual real Canadians?

Dude do you have an idea how advantageous that is?

Well, ya. In the seventies I tried to escape the machine by hiding out in the bush. For twelve years I had no drivers license, Social security number, didn't pay taxes, rent or utility bills. I was pretty free of the machine until it ran me over.

Unfortunately for the Sinixt, most of the ones who are recognized as Sinixt live south of the border and are denied access to 80% of their territory because of being extinct. Laws were passed a hundred years ago to deny access to them because they were considered "American Indians". Many hundreds went to live among the Okanagan and Shuswap nations and were assimilated into those nations because of the Indian Act.

I know these people. Their main concern is their right to maintain their cultural obligations to look after their dead. Almost all of their dead from before 1900 are in Canada and they are denied access to them. These people started a revolution in 1989 when they demanded the bones of there dead that had been carted away to museums be returned for internment at Vallican. Since then just about every tribe in America has had their bones returned. That is quite an accomplishment for a people who don't exist.