What's the difference between Canadians' & Americans' ?

kiwi_NZ

Electoral Member
May 23, 2009
New Zealand
I'm a Kiwi aka New Zealander and I'm not familiar with either culture or country as most Kiwis' are not.

We had an American guy here whom my friend assumed was Canadian and she asked what part of Canada was he from and he made it very clear that Americans' and Canadians' are nothing alike and he was insulted.

Are Canadians and American's vastly different as people? Are the two cultures also vastly different?

I haven't met many Canadians' or Americans' in person but I must confess the Canadians that I have met in comparison to Americans have been a little more friendly and hospitable but that has been my own personal opinion.

So as a Kiwi / New Zealander who knows no different, please tell me what differs between the two people/s and their countries...

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
The biggest difference is the 49th Parallel, being an imaginary line
drawn on maps....If you stood an American & a Canadian shoulder
to shoulder, chances are you couldn't tell us apart.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Penis size - Canadians are larger. ;-)

Which is why we don't need to overcompensate with a huge army and dreams of empire.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
One standard difference between people is their accent. When Cdns and Ams travel to each other's country it can be difficult if not impossible to notice an accent. Where I work there is an American teacher and he likes to say he is from California, but I don't know where most of the other teachers are from.

You don't hear of Cdns getting culture shock traveling to the US. Or vice-versa. I got culture shock traveling to England and Ireland. Now they are very different countries.

kiwi_NZ

Electoral Member
May 23, 2009
New Zealand
The biggest difference is the 49th Parallel, being an imaginary line
drawn on maps....If you stood an American & a Canadian shoulder
to shoulder, chances are you couldn't tell us apart.

You're right Ron, I as a Kiwi wouldn't be able to tell you apart but could you as a Canadian?
So a 49th parallel is an imaginary line?

kiwi_NZ

Electoral Member
May 23, 2009
New Zealand
One standard difference between people is their accent. When Cdns and Ams travel to each other's country it can be difficult if not impossible to notice an accent. Where I work there is an American teacher and he likes to say he is from California, but I don't know where most of the other teachers are from.

You don't hear of Cdns getting culture shock traveling to the US. Or vice-versa. I got culture shock traveling to England and Ireland. Now they are very different countries.

I can understand you probably get a culture shock as such in comparison to visiting NZ, England, OZ and the like. So the cultures are very similar then...

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC

Not really.

In our early histories Canada attracted loyalists. This has created a big difference in ideologies and political views. Lately those have been being erroded by conservative elements using US American style political tactics and huge amounts of US propaganda coming to Canada via TV.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
You're right Ron, I as a Kiwi wouldn't be able to tell you apart but could you as a Canadian?

I live in Saskatchewan and can hear the accent from someone in North Dakota.
Someone from Ontario (I doubt very much) could hear that accent at all.

Someone from Ontario might be able to recognize an accent from Michigan,
but Myself from Western Canada probably couldn't tell which one of the two
was the Canadian or the American.

I sound more like the Americans south of me, than I do with the Canadians
a thousand kilometers east or west of me.....and I would venture that holds
true for much of Canada.....until you get VERY far south or north.

Without a Map or some other navigational aid, could you (or anyone else)
easily find the 49th Parallel, or any other one???

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I find the differences in North America are more east/west than they are north/south. I think people from Alberta are more like those from Montana or Idaho than they are like people from Ontario....not that there is a great difference between Ontario and Alberta.

I've lived all over the country and the west seems more receptive to new ideas whereas the east is more willing to accept the status quo.

kiwi_NZ

Electoral Member
May 23, 2009
New Zealand
Gay sex is like eating spinach. If you are forced to do it as a kid you develop a distaste for it as an adult.

Three guys go to see a witch doctor about their problems.

One has a smoking problem, one is an alcoholic and one is gay but wants to change.

The witch doctor puts a curse on them that if any of them indulge in their habits again they will die. Two days later the alcoholic dies because he gave in and had to drink.

The next day the gay guy and the smoker are walking down the street together. The smoker sees a cigarette lying on the ground and stops to stare at it.

The gay guy looked at him and said "if you bend over and pick that up we are both f**ked"

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Kiwi, I've lived in Canada all my life, and I can't pick Americans out of the crowd here unless they have a distinctive regional accent, and not everyone does. We are very similar in all the ways that show outwardly on a day to day basis. Unless he was making sure to wear a US lapel pin, wear his shoes in the house, declare his love of the death penalty, and say how proud he is that his country doesn't have a queen, on a day to day basis, I don't see why you'd be able to pinpoint his country, let alone why he'd be offended that you mistook it.