Canadian music policies

Keef

Apr 27, 2009
Hi everyone I'm a UK music student currently studying a for a degree. I'm writing an essay on Americanization and globalization and wondered if anyone could give me any information about your music scene. eg whats on the radio, goverment funding for canadian/local musicians and anything else that you think might be useful.
Thanks
Keith

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Well the CRTC (Canadian Radio and Telecommunications Commission? something like that) regulates our airwaves in terms of content regulations etc. (including Canadian content vs foreign: its something like a 40% required or it used to be :p ). As far as funding goes, there are various arts funding programs from various levels of gov't across the country (mostly federal and provincial, not so much municipal in most cases). It all depends on what specifically you're after...

Keef

Apr 27, 2009
thanks for both replies, I have been looking at CIRPA (The Canadian Independent Record Production Association) who are involved in alot of content control and funding for Canadian musicians. I have tried looking for something on Cancom which if i remeber correctly requires a song to be 2 of 4 things from their list to be classed as Canadian? alot of my info is out of date as im getting it from books so any recent publications would be great. I did get some info from CIRPA and CRTC (canadian radio and television commision) websites. im mainly looking for a case study about an artist who has either benifited form being canadian from financial or music industry backing, or someone who has been penalised for not filling Cancoms criteria. if that makes any sense! thanks

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
im mainly looking for a case study about an artist who has either benifited form being canadian from financial or music industry backing, or someone who has been penalised for not filling Cancoms criteria. if that makes any sense! thanks

Bryan Adams' "Everything I Do" could not get a Juno Award (Canada's Grammy) because the song was not considered Canadian. I not sure if or how that would penalize him. I am a member of the Blues at the Bow - A Slice of Blues Heaven on the Canadian Prairie and we get grant money to reimburse the cost of hiring Canadian acts. I'm not really sure how it works because I'm not on the board.

Keef

Apr 27, 2009
Yeah I have seen a few things with Brian Adams, I heard a song(or album i cant remember) wasn't considered Canadian enough as he wrote the music but only co-wrote the lyrics. meaning he wouldn't pass Cancoms requirements to be considered Canadian. But when looking for Cancon online im getting nothing? Has it changed name? Thanks Cannuck I'll look for something about him not recieving an award. I'm also wondering if the musicians of Canada are worried about losing their cultural identity? Do you have a specific canadian style of music that your afraid of losing due to globalization (forign influences)? Thanks

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

Keef

Apr 27, 2009
Thanks again for your help. I have found a journal about an event called the great Canadian party, a music event sponsored by many breweries and companies. I just wondered if this happened every year? I am also including a bit about your JUNO awards. Cheers

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Whatever you do, don't forget Quebec. There's a whole other set of rules and a completely different bunch of players in the game....

Some of those hot-rodded stump-stompin' tunes are pretty cool too!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Hi everyone I'm a UK music student currently studying a for a degree. I'm writing an essay on Americanization and globalization and wondered if anyone could give me any information about your music scene. eg whats on the radio, goverment funding for canadian/local musicians and anything else that you think might be useful.
Thanks
Keith

There is only one kind of music in Canada that's important and that is Country & Western & anything else should only be heard in private clubs with sound proof walls. I'm not just sure what all the criteria are for C & W, but you could get a good handle on by taking a year out and studying the likes of Johnny Cash, Hank Thompson, Hank Williams, Hank Snow, Hank Locklin, Ernest Tubb, Kitty Wells, Dolly Parton, Ray Price, Mel Tillis and a couple of dozen more not forgetting Porter Wagoner.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
There is only one kind of music in Canada that's important and that is Country & Western & anything else should only be heard in private clubs with sound proof walls. I'm not just sure what all the criteria are for C & W, but you could get a good handle on by taking a year out and studying the likes of Johnny Cash, Hank Thompson, Hank Williams, Hank Snow, Hank Locklin, Ernest Tubb, Kitty Wells, Dolly Parton, Ray Price, Mel Tillis and a couple of dozen more not forgetting Porter Wagoner.
I'll pass on most of it. These days most of it sound like soft rock, UE Garth Brooks and that stuff. I like Waylon Jennings, Ian Tyson, Patsy Cline, some J Cash, Dolly. I can't handle Honk Williams or anyone that sings through their nose. Stompin Tom is a hoot. Same for Jerry Reed and Roger Miller. Bluegrass just kills me; I hear it and get the image of some overall-wearing yokel with one tooth left, huge ears, one side of their head is noticeably bigger than the other, the shoes don't match,
I like Gordy Lightfoot, JJ Cale, J S Bach, Tegan & Sara, Mozart, Oscar Peterson, Dave Brubeck, Henry Mancini, etc.

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
Hey that's cool keef . I was in the music scene for years.Vocals /lyrics , little bit of everything else.Punk /metal.Still kinda am..Once in a while..Gettin older now...Don't like to say it but there isn't much of a music scene in Canada ..Watch for scams..Thank god for the internet..Makes indie music a lot easier to market..Few of my buddies have home studio's now ..Seems to do the trick..I have takin the direction of writing nowadys ..In the middle of fininshin up and publishin my book/goes with music I wrote....lots of work,still some fun.. lol

Check out the sites if you like... www.myspace.com/anthree (thankless self promotion lol) ...

It is what it is eh! ...:)

ttyl

Keep it up man ..All the best to you in the future...

Last edited:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
If you look at the OP's date...it is April 2009.

I bet his report was already due.

I bet it has been graded as well.

Keef

Apr 27, 2009
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your replies, as the previous poster pointed out my original post was in something like April and my essay has been handed in, marked and now Im studying my final year. I got 64% for my essay, which is a 2-1 grade (pretty good if that means nothing to you), and I believe its due to some of the research and comments I got form you all on here so thanks very much. I wont close the topic as its always interesting to hear different views on cultural/popular music and you never know if this could help me again or help a future student. Thanks again boys and girls of Canada x

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
Hey when you make it in the music industry.. Don't forget us EH!...lol..:)

Give us some updates on how your doin ..Always like to here from people in the music world..

Cheers ..

L8R