The Sad, Sad State of Canadian Masculinity

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
The defining image of contemporary Canadian maleness is not M Lépine/Gharbi but the professors and the men in that classroom, who, ordered to leave by the lone gunman, meekly did so, and abandoned their female classmates to their fate—an act of abdication that would have been unthinkable in almost any other culture throughout human history. The ‘men’ stood outside in the corridor and, even as they heard the first shots, they did nothing. And, when it was over and Gharbi walked out of the room and past them, they still did nothing. Whatever its other defects, Canadian manhood does not suffer from an excess of testosterone.”

Excusing the men who ran away - Mark Steyn Opinion - Macleans.ca

There were over three dozen passengers on the bus, including in the seats around Li and McLean. The attacker “did not pay any attention to the other passengers” and at one point was stabbing his victim “as he lay on the floor.” That’s difficult to do. You have to lean over. Yet there is no suggestion in the “agreed statement” that anyone attempted to disarm the “oblivious” Mr Li. I wonder if, in Tim McLean’s last conscious moments, he was aware that his fellow passengers had “vacated” the bus and barricaded him in with his murderer.

Mark Steyn - Macleans.ca

A nanny-state society without cojones.....this is what leads to such things as 4 cops tasering a helpless immigrant, entire towns bending to the will of a violent psychopath, as happenened in Mayerthorpe and on and on.

A tragedy.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Interestingly in the US when a preacher was attacked recently, congregants went after the gunman. A couple of them were wounded.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
A nanny-state society without cojones.....this is what leads to such things as 4 cops tasering a helpless immigrant, entire towns bending to the will of a violent psychopath, as happenened in Mayerthorpe and on and on.
Do you really think it is what leads to things like the incident at YVR as far as the police go? How many people watched this poor man in distress without making any attempt to help him? We see one woman on the video. No one makes any attempt to help her. I gather from your words about carrying a gun Colpy that you were in law enforcement of some kind. I would think you would see it that one policeman killed this man as only one policeman used the taser under the orders of another. The situation in Mayerthorpe is unusual. One of the two men knew the pyschopath for years and years and the other knew him and knew of him. They were obviously more afraid for themselves than for what they had to know was about to happen to the police.
Can we blame the men in Marc Lepine's case? Maybe at the moment they were told to leave they thought they were somehow saving the women. Does the story show that his intent upon entering the room was to kill the women? Once the actual shooting began, any one of the men outside the room had to know that entering the room was pure suicide. It may have had a different outcome had they refused to leave but in reality, I think he would have shot one of them to let them know he meant business and they would have left anyway. Wouldn't you have? I just don't think they could have stopped it.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Complete horsefeathers!

Not one of the passengers wanted to take on an obviously crazy man with a great big knife. Is that a big surprise? As I recall, there were several children among the passengers. I don't have a list of the number of men, women, and children on that bus but that they got themselves off that bus has nothing to do with them being cowards. What disappointed me was that four or five armed mounties stood around while Li the freak ran up and down the bus waving the head around. Was it okay to let the bastard disfigure the corpse even more? I don't know why one of the Mounties didn't go on board the bus and shoot that animal through the head till he knew better. Nothing to do with Testosterone levels....more to do with politically correctness to the extreme. Li could have been a native Canadian, or an Asian. Until they found out who and what he was, they apparently were paralysed from taking action and did nothing.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Pretty tough to shoot people if you have a chair smacking you on the side of your head. Also pretty tough to stab anyone with a piece of luggage in place of the chair.
Not many people want to help these days, unless it is someone like family they are helping.I am pretty sure I would take a knife wound if it meant saving someone's life. But then, I've been under life-threatening circumstances before...... fire is hot and smoke is asphyxiating and probably toxic.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
colpy if thats you in the picture, the rough and tough blood and guts generation your from is dying out just like the middle class :)

its unfortunate

and concerning that asian dude on the bus, minority or not i would have thrown the fire extinguisher at his head and started boot stompin him, gears of war style

Diarygirl

Electoral Member
Oct 28, 2008
Newfoundland
Sad world we live in...everyone is afraid to react to life threatening situations because of laws, being sued, etc.! Instinct is supposed to make you react to try and save a person from death but today it's become almost extinct. What a horrifying ordeal to witness and have to live with after the fact, if you have a conscience that is.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Complete horsefeathers!

Not one of the passengers wanted to take on an obviously crazy man with a great big knife. Is that a big surprise?

Yes, its a shameful act.

As I recall, there were several children among the passengers.

And Children shouldn't be at risk from an uncontested knife wielding lunatic. If he'd started stabbing kids, no one would have helped either.

Kitty Genovese was it? Nothing seems to have changed.

I don't have a list of the number of men, women, and children on that bus but that they got themselves off that bus has nothing to do with them being cowards.

Yes, it did. They were cowards, their own safety was more important than the safety of someone else.

Im reminded of the boy scouts. The founder saw someone drown in a river while everyone else just watched because they didn't risk their own life. The scouts were founded on the ideals that you should be willing to give your own life in the attempt to save others. After his death that was prompty changed to go back to the thing he hated most, if you see someone drowning, wait for the authorities to save them.

The concept that the individual person has no responsibility save to wait for someone else paid to save the day to act, is the problem.

What disappointed me was that four or five armed mounties stood around while Li the freak ran up and down the bus waving the head around. Was it okay to let the bastard disfigure the corpse even more? I don't know why one of the Mounties didn't go on board the bus and shoot that animal through the head till he knew better. Nothing to do with Testosterone levels....more to do with politically correctness to the extreme. Li could have been a native Canadian, or an Asian. Until they found out who and what he was, they apparently were paralysed from taking action and did nothing.

Why kill someone to save a lump of inanimate matter? Thats just stupid. Their action is what I do agree with.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
....And Children shouldn't be at risk from an uncontested knife wielding lunatic. If he'd started stabbing kids, no one would have helped either.
Except mother(s).
........The concept that the individual person has no responsibility save to wait for someone else paid to save the day to act, is the problem.
Or at least part of the problem.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I wonder if a lot of todays hesitance to get involved is a result of conditioning?

Give a bully the poke he deserves and you'll be expelled too....

The police are here to take care of it....

Fight them in Court....

Report it to the Union....

We've become a nation of wusses.... (for the most part)