Going Redneck

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Yes, over the long weekend, I got to get back to my redneck roots.

I got to go 'home', back to the area I grew up in, in the Peace Country. I went to a little town half the province doesn't even know about, and two stepped in the same gym I've square danced and two stepped in on occasion since I was 13 years old.

I taught my son and daughter to two step, while aunts and uncles and friends spun around us to the country music.

It was a huge leap from my life here, from traveling to France this summer, shopping at the halal deli and the Italian market, visiting with Portuguese neighbors, to head back to the homogeneous, white north, and dance to music I haven't heard in years. A lifetime ago. A redneck lifetime ago.

It's a mere 4 hour trip away from here.... but it feels like such a drastic difference.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
I have found that usually children will venture off and away from what they grew up used to, in order to find out who they really are..... or at the very least, to get a break from where they grew up from.

I left home, went to college in the city, came back for a little over a year, and then headed back to the city. I found there was more for me to do, more for me to enjoy, and perhaps more people I could relate to in Halifax, then I could back home.

We never square danced..... we just had BBQ's, alcohol and a lot of stories. Although I can't say my current life compared to my past, is as high of a contrast as what you have described.

Then again, I can't remember the last time I stepped in my old school..... I even skipped my 10 year reunion. To me, besides my family, there's nothing back home for me. Perhaps someday I'd move back once I get situated, but not anytime soon.

snobeach

Well Preserved
Jun 23, 2008
Calgary
Karrie, I don't know where in the Peace Country you're from but it sounds like home.

It's beautiful country, I'd recommend everyone take a trek there at least once....during summer.:toothy10:

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Red Neck

I was born and raised in the Peace Country; learned to square dance and 2-step there. Great community and fun memories. But I could never live there now. Simply isn't anything there for me.

Attended a HS reunion to celebrate 25 years that the school had been operating and it was nice to see all the "kids" I grew up with and what was happening in their lives. Some had stayed; most had left. But we do go up and visit every 5 or so years just because the country is so beautiful there and we're avid RV'ers (note I didn't say camping l:lol:).

As for the people who still live there, I've really nothing in common with them anymore. I've often wondered if my parents hadn't split, if I would have stayed...I honestly don't know. Sometimes a circumstance, beyond your control, has resulted in a life experience that you hadn't anticipated.

It's kinda interesting actually.

JMO

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Dixie, I agree. I don't know that I could go back for good. Living where I do now is such a stark contrast, and it definitely had the feel of moving backwards, not progressing forward with my life. But, I do miss the simplicity at times.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I could never go back to the 'old days', where all the relatives were very close in proximity.
The one reason my marriage is almost 50 years old this month, is that, we have lived away
from relatives for years and years now, had we 'not' taken that step, this marriage would
have ended 30 years ago, or more. Yeah 'redneck' fits well, I can't step back into that world for very long, not more than 48 hours at a time.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
;-)........Say now, Karrie gal; Didja ride the horse on over to the spread, er tidja take the car?

Whadya say there, pilgrim:?:

Yosemite Nugg.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Rednecks drive trucks.
Hillbillys sit on the porch and watch em.

eyuk eyuk, That ther lil lassie never did answer the question bout the horse!!

lol... exactly Nugg... rednecks aren't relaxed enough to be hillbillies.

As for the horse, I haven't ridden in close to 15 years. *sigh* I miss it some days. I would love to have horses, alas, hubby is drastically allergic to them. And the city frowns on owning them. :lol: