Body Image and Media

AmberEyes

Sunshine
Dec 19, 2006
Vancouver Island
Hey all,

I'm doing a rather irritating research project on body image and media. My focus is mainly on women, but any responses are good!

Mostly, what I want to know is: Does the media (magazines, tv ads, etc.) have an effect on your body image? Have you ever felt pressure to look like the ideal image? What do you think "ideal" body image is? Did you at any point in your life feel pressure to look like the ideal? Do you think it effects others? If so, what age/gender/ethnicity?

You don't have to answer. Or, if you want to give me your life's story, that's good to. There are no wrong answers... I just wanted to do a bit of primary research. :)

Hazmart

Council Member
Sep 29, 2007
Hi Amber
This sounds like it could be a very interesting research project. I am 26 years old. I think that at this point I am at a place where I am happy with my body image but growing up I struggled with it.
I didn't feel any pressure because of magazines or TV directly, it had more to do with other girls at school. I think there was always the pressure to look like them but I never actually made any attempt to look like them with make up or clothing etc which I think was more because I was afraid of being made fun of for trying to be them. It was easier to just be me!
As for what the ideal image is I believe that it is everyones individual concept
Good luck with your research!
Haz

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
The only reason I look at the media and think myself worthless due to the images they present, is from past abuse... someone trusted telling me I was fat, disgusting, worthless.

As I get older (and bigger I might add), and some of that programming fades away, it bears less influence and I find the media representations to be more annoying and fake than anything. Having a husband who worships me no matter what size I am probably has a HUGE bearing on my view though. It's amazing how stability and love can make you feel like a million bucks.

Reactions: triedit

AmberEyes

Sunshine
Dec 19, 2006
Vancouver Island
Thanks everyone :) The more replies I get the better, and the more anybody wants to discuss this the better.

It's very reassuring to see that as women grow older, they're feelings of self-loathing and unhappiness diminish somewhat. I've been getting bigger every year for 5 years now, and it wasn't until recently that I started feeling better about it. As you said Karrie, it really helps to have somebody who loves you for who you are, not what you look like.

Reactions: karrie