Yo Nuggler - The Six String Nation

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Here actually may be a better place for it.

This guitar is not mine nor did I make it. I did play it though and got this picture taken with it. I played Behind Blue Eyes by The Who when I played it.

The guitar is special. You can see the Maple Leaf in the guitar top. Well this guitar is all about Canadian history, and some of the culture that makes up our country. It got bits and pieces of all kinds of things built into it. For example, When the Montreal Canadians won their 8th Stanley Cup, the team was presented with commemorative platters. Maurice Rocket Richard felt the rings would be more fitting and so commissioned a set of them himself and gave them to his team mates. Up on the ninth fret, there is a small chip from the Rocket's own ring inlaid.

It's got a little bit of the stick Paul Henderson used to score the winning goal in the 72 series with the Russians. A sliver from Pierre Trudeau's paddle and Wayne Gretzky's stick, a piece of the deck of the Bluenose II that was build from some of the reserves that were to repair the original ship.

All kinds of different bits from all over Canada. There must be something incorporated into that guitar that touches each one of us in some way. This guitar has been touring around for a couple of years I guess. Jowi Taylor started this idea around 11 years ago or so. It's an amazing story gathering all these little bits of Canadiana and setting a masters hand to making a fine instrument to present them and the idea.

Be sure to check out "Guitar Explorer" to see all the things included in this amazing guitar.

http://sixstringnation.com/en/

Reactions: daisygirl

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
Here actually may be a better place for it.

This guitar is not mine nor did I make it. I did play it though and got this picture taken with it. I played Behind Blue Eyes by The Who when I played it.

http://sixstringnation.com/en/

That is awesome, Unforgiven! How did you get the opportunity for such an honour?

That guitar is truly a wonderful piece of work. I went through the whole "Guitar Explorer" part of the site. What a piece of history!

Shell is a musician (plays and writes, has one CD with a band, another demo of five songs) so she is most interested in hearing your story on this too.

daisygirl

Electoral Member
May 28, 2007
Ontario
Wow, Unf, she's a beaut! What an honour for you to be able to play on her. Did you win the chance or how did it come about? Do you think that they will ultimately make a book with all the pics and travels in it? I hope you have framed your picture. Again, what an honour!

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
"Yo Nuggler"...............:lol::lol: A new nom.

Great story, great idea: Congrats on playin and posing with it. Canadian Iconic........sorta......

Ok, so the Bull Terrier belongs to you though?? eh??

Y'ol Unfuggler you............:cheers:

:laughing7:Nuggler:glasses2:

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Patriotic Super Star Jimi Hendrix plays Star Spangled Banner on his six string guitar:

Can you play Oh Canada on your guitar?

Oh yeah! But you know, you light one little fire during a solo and everybody gets grabby with their gear.

Cosmo

That is awesome, Unforgiven! How did you get the opportunity for such an honour?

That guitar is truly a wonderful piece of work. I went through the whole "Guitar Explorer" part of the site. What a piece of history!

Shell is a musician (plays and writes, has one CD with a band, another demo of five songs) so she is most interested in hearing your story on this too.

While it is an honour to play this guitar, I happened upon it quite by accident.
You see a couple of friends of mine and I each year go to the MIAC trade show.
Music Industry Association of Canada holds a convention of sorts to show case new gear and the latest ideas in the music industry for those in the business. It's not open to the public but there is a smaller scaled down version that is.

The big one has people from Martin, Taylor Gibson Fender Marshal you name it, all the biggies are there with the latest gear they have to offer. But also there are the small guitar makers and Luther's attending as well with their wares on display and for sale. It's a killer show.

So this booth was set up with the guitar and Jowi was there talking about it
and one of my friends walked over to have a look and called me over. I met with Jowi while my friend checked it out and I found out the history of it first hand from Jowi. So you can imagine, I was picking my jaw up off the floor and stood with an incredulous look on my face as he listed all the stuff that was in the guitar. So he asked me if I play and I said hell yeah. Next thing you know I'm strapped in and trying to think of something I could play that doesn't suck.

So I rocked as much as this much old fart can rock and Jowi got the camera man to take the picture. Just as they were about to shoot, the house lights went out and so the lighting was not perfect. I thought that was fitting with my personality and now I'm another link in this whole connection of Canadians history and this guitar.

The guitar is touring with Jowi so look for an opportunity to catch it when it heads out west. And if you get the chance, jump at it and add your link to the connection.

Sue

It is a honour and I'm both humbled and proud to have had the chance to get my mitts on it. Aside from it being such a totem of Canadian Icons, it is in fact a beautifully crafted concert level one of a kind guitar. It plays very nicely though the action was a little lower than I prefer. The sound is deep and rich in tone so that the low end power of an open E chord resonates in you while the higher pitched strings are bright and carry melody with sustain and clarity.
Nice balance and it makes you feel good just holding on to it.

Oldnugly

Yes the Bull Terrier is ours. His name is Dodger but only when we are talking to him, when we talk about him to someone else, he is called The Guinness.
As in "yes The Guinness is a nice little doggie." "Dodger, put that cat down!"
"Oh The Guinness is quite fond of cats." You get the idea.

He's coming up on his third birthday and starting to gain the maturity of a good dog. We got him when he was but 5 weeks old from a breeder out near Kingston Ont. He was the runt of the little and born deaf. Hence the name we gave him, I Bullit Dodger (I for the kennel name) (Bullit for Steve McQueen) and (Dodger for the Artful Dodger in Oliver) A play on words as in the past a dog with a defect like this would have been taken out behind the barn and shot so as not to spoil the name of the line.

He's an awesome beast with a magnificent spirit. He's got the power at 65 pounds and the right temperament as easy going and playful but never violent or aggressive. He plays very well with other dogs and quite likes everyone. He has a penchant for shoving his face into young girls crotches which brings great embarrassment to us though when ever he does it, girls just smile and giggle and pat him on the head. Call him a lovely dog. Go figure.

The Guinness is growing into a fantastic dog as he matures and has a pretty good vocabulary of sign language and body language especially between he and my wife Laura. (Secretly I think they make jokes about me in sign language)

Bull Terriers are fantastic pets for the right masters.

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
Unforgiven ... what a great story! Shell will enjoy it. :) I did check to see if they were coming west this year but it doesn't appear so from the schedule. There is a survey to fill out, though, which Shell is planning to do. What an honour!

Dodger ... awwww ... y'know, there's days when I kinda want to take you out and shake you till your teeth rattle, but anybody who rescues a dog, gives it that kind of love and attention and has such obvious affection for him, scores large points. Dodger is gorgeous! We need better pix of him, tho.

Are the Bull Terriers like other Terriers? Our Jack Russell is crazed and we thought it was a terrier trait. Of course our girl is spoiled ... has never been alone in her life. We get her a sitter when we go out. Ya, ya ... big eye roll on that one. Ours thinks she's a pit bull, in fact last night tried to attack some kind of wolf hound downstairs. Yi.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Well at some point it's you're bound to cross paths with the Six String Nation Guitar so keep a weather eye out for it and don't let it slip by.

That's me though, rough around the edges and tender in the middle. ;-)

The Guinness is just about like what you would expect from the Terrier personality. He's always game, but he doesn't have that aggressive edge to him. He's had other dominant males try to mount him but he just lays flat on the ground on his belly til they are convinced they aren't getting anywhere with it and give. He's got a slightly irritating quality to him though that some dogs find rather annoying. Imagine if you will someone who unleash the whole of your fury upon, in a most violent and destructive way you can muster, to which you fully expect to see a small pile of ashes where this thing once stood before you. But instead he smiles and pinches your tummy and gurggles how cute you are when your feisty and asks you to do it again. This is the Guinness. Even when dogs get out of control and start to fight, it's like he doesn't even consider it fighting or aggression, just more play.

It has to drive some Alpha dogs crazy. He just doesn't care. heh heh

We keep him pretty close all the time. When we're out, he's always on the leash unless he's fenced in and safe while we're with him. He's never out alone. People will steal this type of dog and so that is always a concern in the back of our minds. But more importantly he is deaf and doesn't understand traffic and such. On top of that, we just would never let a dog of ours loose
without us under any circumstances. All it takes is some nit pointing at your dog and screaming pitbull to turn life into a circus so we take great care. And we feel that someone who doesn't like dogs should be able to go through life without being bothered by them. The Guinness is beginning to understand that some people just don't want to pet him and he sits quietly when told to now.

Of course the little pork chop is spoiled. Sleeps in the bed, up on all the furniture, gets way too much in the way of treats and has that in your face begging style. Even those he's just met end up with him sitting next to them on the couch leaning away and most likely farting or at least breathing on them. So yeah pretty typical of the Terrier family. heh heh

Here's two larger pics. Yes I have thousands.

Check the tongue hanging out.

The cat is names Cate and is one of three. She so owns him.

Unforgiven ... what a great story! Shell will enjoy it. :) I did check to see if they were coming west this year but it doesn't appear so from the schedule. There is a survey to fill out, though, which Shell is planning to do. What an honour!

Dodger ... awwww ... y'know, there's days when I kinda want to take you out and shake you till your teeth rattle, but anybody who rescues a dog, gives it that kind of love and attention and has such obvious affection for him, scores large points. Dodger is gorgeous! We need better pix of him, tho.

Are the Bull Terriers like other Terriers? Our Jack Russell is crazed and we thought it was a terrier trait. Of course our girl is spoiled ... has never been alone in her life. We get her a sitter when we go out. Ya, ya ... big eye roll on that one. Ours thinks she's a pit bull, in fact last night tried to attack some kind of wolf hound downstairs. Yi.

Reactions: gopher

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
Unforgiven ... thanks for the pix. He is absolutely gorgeous! I've always thought the "Don Cherry" dogs were the cutest breed of all. Yours looks like he'd try to curl up on your lap and nap. :)

Ya, the whole "pit bull" thing makes me crazy. We had a thread about that last year when Ontario was talking pit bull ban. Don't get me started on that.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Yeah some people can't see that. For anyone who even remotely likes dogs, these guys can when raised right, have you giggling and laughing in seconds, just by doing what they always do.

Though I admit it's for the gush factor, here's the baby.

And the table gattor.

Unforgiven ... thanks for the pix. He is absolutely gorgeous! I've always thought the "Don Cherry" dogs were the cutest breed of all. Yours looks like he'd try to curl up on your lap and nap. :)

Ya, the whole "pit bull" thing makes me crazy. We had a thread about that last year when Ontario was talking pit bull ban. Don't get me started on that.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Thanks Unf;

Always had a soft spot for Bullies. Me better half doesn't "trust" them however, so we have generally stuck to Labs, Spaniels, and now a Chihuahua.............(who would rip you if she was big enough)

Once again, real interesting story re: the guitar. My fantasy is; someday I'll be somewhere and there'll be someone playing an F style mandolin, and he'll say, "Oh ya, this, it's a Loar. Wanna give it a go?"

Ain't gonna happen.

Cheers,

New name Nugger:cool:

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Bullies get under your skin pretty quickly alright. They have minibullies too now you know. Good not to trust them though. Turn your back for one second and their all over anything your eating, your spot on the chair or sofa, your seat in the car. And if there is anything at all that they are not supposed to touch, they are all over it. And if ever your in the tub having a snooze, understand they feel will within their right to jump in with you. Yes your wife is a wise woman my Nugglet. Wise indeed.

She is a sweet axe alright. And valued at around $65,000 I reckon it would have to be yer birthday for someone to just let you lay yer paws on it. I wonder how many he made while he was with Gibson?

There is a place in Toronto that I keep an eye on for vintage gear. Though most of the things I see I can't afford. Nice to look through their ever changing website. I shouldn't expect to see one pass though there long enough to make it to the website, but you just never know. Hope your dream comes true.

http://www.12fret.com/

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
Unforgiven ... awwwww! He was an adorable baby. Can't wait to show those to Shell -- she's a puppy person. I love the adult dogs more, tho. I think he's grown into a handsome, handsome boy! Thanks for sharing those. I'll post some of Moche one day when we start a pet thread. :)

N'Ugg ... you ever post any pix of those mandos you've made? Our N'Ugg is a luthier. He does beautiful work. (He also paints ... very talented, he is!)

daisygirl

Electoral Member
May 28, 2007
Ontario
Unf...maybe it's time to show the pics of The Guinness' aunt.

Thank you for showing us that picture of you and that guitar. It was a great picture and wow, what a story. Talk about being in the right place at the right time.

P.S. Adorable baby pics!

Last edited:

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Yeah The Guinness' aunt Inca. A couple of years ago or so, I posted a couple of pictures of Inca the Bull Terrier who got into it with a Porcupine. She was covered in thousands of quills. I got dozens of private messages, mostly from crack pots wanting to know all about the "Pit" stupid enough to fight a Porcupine and who set the fight up. That sort of thing. The pictures spread from the Grapevine to the rest of the Net very quickly. Some really nasty things were spouted by people who I know know nothing about the dog or her owner other than what was visible in the pictures. They even been used as a weapon to justify killing off all pit bulls and anything that looks like them. Hell even boxers get thrown in. So I don't post those pictures anymore and if you see them you know who ever posted them doesn't have permission to use them

Inca lives happily just east of Kingston on a farm with two other Bull Terriers
and a litter of pups from either her or her sister once a year. They rotate turns. heh heh

They had been out walking in a park that borders the farm I guess when they ran into the Porcupine. The other two bullies only got a few quills before getting the right idea and leave it alone. Inca is a little more stubborn than the other two and she laid into that porcupine with a vengeance and was covered in thousands of quills from nose to passed her shoulders. In her mouth so bad that she couldn't even close her mouth. I think she took the whole thing personally and is described as the protector of the bunch. She killed the Porcupine which is no easy feat in itself but not before taking most of the quills.

Three vets took hours take out quills. Guess what that costs. Some wouldn't even come out and so had to pass through and come out on their own which took another few weeks. Infection was the big problem though. In the end they got her cleaned up and fit as a fiddle. It surprising just how tough dogs can be. Had a couple of litters since then I understand. I hope none are quite as stubborn as she has been.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
porkies

Interesting stuff Unf:

Quite a few years ago, when I was a duck hunter, my Lab (big Lab) got into a porkie big time, and just trashed it............He stood there while my brother in law and I pulled quills from his face and mouth for about an hour. Never flinched. Tough dog. He never touched another one though. Smart dog.

My dear departed German Shorthair, however, wanted to kill them all and we had to take her to the vet 3 times. She finally got the message, but, she wouldn't let us touch her when she had a face full of quills. The vet had to give her a serious tranq. before he could get near her. I think she got to love the drugs.......:lol::lol:8O
Fortunately, she was a close worker, and when she saw a porky, I'd shout "NO", and she'd leave it alone. Finally, I retired her. She spent her declining years on the couch, the bed, the car, our laps, swimmin at the lake. Smart dog.

It's rumoured that the MNR re-introduced Fishers to control the porcupines in this area, as we were being overun. Not a whole bunch of porkies left now, and the Fishers have started on squirrels, cats, poodles...............:lol::lol::lol:.........true.

So much for dogs, and guitars.

:canada:N'ugg the Nuggler..............??:tard:

daisygirl

Electoral Member
May 28, 2007
Ontario
Oh Unf, I am so sorry. I knew that some crackpots had responded to those pictures but I didn't realize how bad it had gotten. Truly sorry.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Some dogs get it, some need practice I guess. So you've done hunting trials and worked dogs in the field? That's pretty intricate stuff. I've seen it but never done it. Though I've lost my taste for hunting, I love to be out in it and enjoy the quiet.

So you are a Luthier eh? Very nice, I'd like to see some of your work if you have pics.

Yeah from Guitars to dogs to Porkies to Fishers feasting on cats. You need a program to keep up with whats what in this game. :)

Interesting stuff Unf:

Quite a few years ago, when I was a duck hunter, my Lab (big Lab) got into a porkie big time, and just trashed it............He stood there while my brother in law and I pulled quills from his face and mouth for about an hour. Never flinched. Tough dog. He never touched another one though. Smart dog.

My dear departed German Shorthair, however, wanted to kill them all and we had to take her to the vet 3 times. She finally got the message, but, she wouldn't let us touch her when she had a face full of quills. The vet had to give her a serious tranq. before he could get near her. I think she got to love the drugs.......:lol::lol:8O
Fortunately, she was a close worker, and when she saw a porky, I'd shout "NO", and she'd leave it alone. Finally, I retired her. She spent her declining years on the couch, the bed, the car, our laps, swimmin at the lake. Smart dog.

It's rumoured that the MNR re-introduced Fishers to control the porcupines in this area, as we were being overun. Not a whole bunch of porkies left now, and the Fishers have started on squirrels, cats, poodles...............:lol::lol::lol:.........true.

So much for dogs, and guitars.

:canada:N'ugg the Nuggler..............??:tard: