Are you a good citizen?

triedit

inimitable
Over half of Cdns would flunk citizenship test: poll

TORONTO (CP) - A poll released just days before Canada Day suggests more than half of all Canadians don't know enough about their own country to pass a citizenship test.
The survey commissioned by the Dominion Institute found 60 per cent of Canadians don't have the basic knowledge required to pass a test similar to the one newcomers must take to become citizens.
Forty-five per cent of those polled ten years ago failed an identical test.
While 96 per cent of Canadians correctly identified the national anthem as "O Canada," just six in ten of them could recall its first two lines.
Only four per cent could name four federal political parties represented in the House of Commons, while just one-third could identify the number of Canadian provinces and territories.
The poll was conducted by Ipsos Reid and the results are considered accurate to within +3.1 percentage points, 19 times out of 20.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2007/06/29/4300486-cp.html

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Yes yes, more Canada bashing, we all understand you don't much like the place you live.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I got a 100 percent on the practical and eighty percent on the government test.

I can see why most people might have a problem with the government test. That test was harder than the final on the Canadian history course I took in college.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I don't know why that would be the measure of a good citizen...

It doesn't. The government test would have been tough for most people. There were regional questions that the average person from outside the region just wouldn't know. Being a good citizen has nothing to do with it.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I guess we now know who failed this test. :)

Nah I got 79/100 89/109.

But you know, you can become a citizen of a couple of other places besides Canada. Clearly American citizenship would be a boring and problematical ordeal to have to go through, but I've toyed with the idea of holding citizenship status in a couple of other countries while being able to retain Canadian citizenship and all the privileges that go with it.