Student suspended after voicing marijuana opinion

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Matt BartonLeader-Post

Kieran King's views on marijuana have led to his suspension from Wawota Parkland School.
King said he was threatened with police action by Principal Susan Wilson previously after making the case that marijuana was less harmful than alcohol.
"In my opinion, cannabis is safer than they say, it is not worse than alcohol or tobacco," said King, a 15-year-old Grade 10 student.
Wilson accused King of using and selling marijuana at school, according to a media release issued by the Saskatchewan Marijuana Party. King has offered to submit to a voluntary drug test to prove otherwise.
"I've never smoked marijuana. I've never even seen it," said King.
He said he had done independent research on marijuana use out of personal curiosity and decided to share the information with his friends at school.
Feeling his right to freedom of speech had been violated by Wilson, he organized a walkout to begin at 11:05 a.m on Tuesday.
Instead, he said the school was locked down in anticipation of the attempted walkout. Teachers reportedly stood in the doorways threatening punishment for leaving the school.
King and his brother Lucas were given three-day-suspensions for disobeying the lockdown.
Outside the school, three members of the Saskatchewan Marijuana Party, one member of the NDP and one protester gathered in the parking lane in front of the school. They used a megaphone to show their support for King and the students, said Ethan Erkiletian, an executive member of the Saskatchewan Marijuana Party.
Only four students walked out of the school, including King and his brother. The other two students returned to the school to avoid punishment.
"When we asked them why they locked down the school they said we were from outside the community and had a megaphone and might be frightening to the parents and students," said Erkiletian.
Two RCMP officers arrived and observed the walkout. No arrests were made and no charges were pressed.
The group of seven disbanded at 12:30 p.m.
"The main purpose wasn't cannabis. It was the defence of the freedom of speech. I believe we have a right to freedom of expression. I don't believe in vulgarity," said King.
The three-day suspension will prevent King from writing his final exams before he goes to China on a correspondence course. He's to leave Thursday.
The honour student said he will still pass Grade 10 because his marks are in the 80s and 90s. By missing his final exams he will lose 30 per cent of his marks.
"I know my children don't smoke, drink or take drugs," said King's mother, Jo Ann Buler. "As a parent I feel I need to support Kieran but I can see both sides of the issue."
Buler is a teacher and works in the school division which oversees Wawota Parkland School. She said she holds no ill will for the school and believes Kieran and the school have a point of view.
"He doesn't feel he's promoting drug use by talking about it. I don't think he deserves a permanent black mark on his school record," said Buler.
Neither Wilson nor the school division returned calls made by the Leader-Post.

© Leader-Post 2007​

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I wonder if Susan Wilson and the members of the school board Wawota Parkland belongs to would care to have a folical test along with Kieran King and the results made public? I suppose not after all, these types usually turn out to be quite the hypocrits.

Good for the kids who stood up to support the concept of freedom of speech, even though they were intimidated by the staff and administration in the end.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
This is idiotic, and (unfortunately) is indicative of much that is wrong with our school system.

I taught for a while, and let me tell you, you had best not do ANYTHING that might be considered controversial..........

And kids, you know, can't be flunked because it might hurt their self-esteem.............nothing can be expected of them, because they might fail.............and God knows they have no rights..............

School is a glorified baby-sitting service.

Oh yeah. Almost forgot. The kid is quite correct in his hypothesis as well.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
School is a glorified baby-sitting service

Yep, I've said for some time now that school has become little more than warehousing kids until they are old enough to teach some job to so we can pigeon hole them in some boring job somewhere.

I've run into enough people who hold multiple degrees that couldn't think for themselves if their life depended on it.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
Well I think Mr.King should be givin some sort of civic award for standing in the face of Bullies. As for glorified babysitting the only problem with that is one gets to chose a babysiter. Unless you are rolling in dough or are willing to pour all your money into a private school for your child , your gonna end up with something like what I expierenced.

My daughter a grade A student can't tell time unless she looks at a digital watch.
Canadian history and geography, forget aboud id.
She now is a quite successful dental hygenist, all do to her hardcore desire to rise above .

Another cute story:
She is gifted with art. My grandfather was world famous, my father and I both can screw up a stick figure. GrandDad assured me that if it skipps a generation it will skipp another but show up in my children. He was definatly right on, old school European artisan hung out in the monte marte the real deal.nope doesn't have anything hanginmg anywhere,wasn't his craft. Not going to say for reasons I don't do online who i am.

but here is a great story

Any who in grade 3,might have been later year or actually earlier ..can't remeber
So she handed in this great mickey and goofy piece that the teacher then used to show her up in class as a "Tracer". Gave the class a lecture on tracing and scolded her for trying to fool eveybody.
She stood up went to the board grabbed a piece of cjalk and wipped off this fantastic mickey...turned to teacher and said "Is that tracing?".

Teacher apologised and both phoned and wrote a letter of apology.

I'm convinced that there is a move in North America to become like Britain where the minute you open your mouth one knows what schooling you have had.
The systemised ruining of our public schooling by conservatives in power both provincially and federally is obvious. Look at the Harris people in Ontario. I think the rich and powerfull want a legacy fopr their offspring and dream of a caste system reinstated through the power of education.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I don't think the student should be suspended for his opinions. If they caught him in the act, then different story. But voicing an opinion should not be a suspendable offence. Thats just stupid.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
i was tolod alchohal and nicotine are must worse than cannabis

I have used all three...only the odd scotch and threat for me now.

I do agree with you Johnny, when it comes to useing the products to actually do something.
The odd cigar ,(can't stomache them myself) , if you enjoy that sort of thing won;t kill you.
A glass of wine with a meal, a beer on a hot day, won't alter your concious.

but like only Clinton doesn't inhale.
Any amount of weed inhaled will alter you. Unless yer smoking hemp leaves , but who buys those for the intended purpose.
Today's weed is sold to get high on. I have friends that take one toke at times just for that "Touch" as they put it. It still is a mind altering drug and even his touch is mind altering. 2 tokes of some stuff today will have you stoned out of your gourd....3 tokes of any street weed worth buying a secound time will do the desired effect.....
Lets be honest.
I'm not going to moralize the issue...getting high on the ole weed now and then ain't gonna send down some path of ruin and damnation.
But if you find your self doing to get high more than 3 times a week, you got issues that need addressing as far as I am concerned.

If you find yourself getting drunk 3 times a week , same thing.
Life wasn't ment to be spent blitzoid.

But as an adult engaging in the odd mind altering expierence isn't really the bad thing to be made ilegal the powers that be would have us to believe.

The interesting thing that was squashed by the conservatives once they got into power, was the way the liberals were trying to allow a sort of underground community to use weed. I think they were slowly setting this up for full legalization.....which Joe Clark actually used in his platform when he won....and never said a word after....

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
This is a free speech issue, and only a free speech issue. Don't let the subject of the kid's paper fool you - this is all about freedom to say what we know or reasonably believe.

Stupid, and embarrassing to happen in Canada.

Pangloss

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
This is a free speech issue, and only a free speech issue. Don't let the subject of the kid's paper fool you - this is all about freedom to say what we know or reasonably believe.

Stupid, and embarrassing to happen in Canada.

Pangloss

Yes it is obvious it is a free speech issue as stated by Mr.King"The main purpose wasn't cannabis. It was the defence of the freedom of speech. I believe we have a right to freedom of expression. I don't believe in vulgarity," said King.

but due to this actually happening it has brought to light other large issues Pangloss, being discussed here.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Hmm.

Okay, the first thing that struck me is that this was not a report or assignment which he turned in. This speech was not requested of him within the school. And last I checked, there isn't actually any such thing as free speech within school hallways is there? Freedom to say what you want within requested assignments, yes. Freedom to say what you like outside of school, yes. But, haven't the schools set a clear example with past issues, such as locker searches and dress codes, that students aren't premitted a free for all on school property? That while it's a 'public school', it is not a public space, nor a public forum?

I can definitely see both sides of the issue on this one, and it brings to mind the pro-drug paper I wrote in highschool. lol.

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
Hmm.

Okay, the first thing that struck me is that this was not a report or assignment which he turned in. This speech was not requested of him within the school. And last I checked, there isn't actually any such thing as free speech within school hallways is there? Freedom to say what you want within requested assignments, yes. Freedom to say what you like outside of school, yes. But, haven't the schools set a clear example with past issues, such as locker searches and dress codes, that students aren't premitted a free for all on school property? That while it's a 'public school', it is not a public space, nor a public forum?

I can definitely see both sides of the issue on this one, and it brings to mind the pro-drug paper I wrote in highschool. lol.

So what? You are saying students can't voice there opinion to other students in personal conversation or express their opinion in class. Maybe a teacher did think he was selling though. Some nut could construe it as a sales pitch.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
So what? You are saying students can't voice there opinion to other students in personal conversation or express their opinion in class. Maybe a teacher did think he was selling though. Some nut could construe it as a sales pitch.

*I'm* not saying that. I'm saying that the schools have set a standard for behavior which includes them being able to censor speech or materials, or curtail personal freedoms, that they feel are possibly detrimental or injurious to their student body.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but, freedom of speech only applies to public forums last I knew. And schools are not public places. Trust me. Try walking into one and chatting up some students, you'll see.

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
*I'm* not saying that. I'm saying that the schools have set a standard for behavior which includes them being able to censor speech or materials, or curtail personal freedoms, that they feel are possibly detrimental or injurious to their student body.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but, freedom of speech only applies to public forums last I knew. And schools are not public places. Trust me. Try walking into one and chatting up some students, you'll see.

Well first I'm not s High School kid so it is not exactly my place. Second what justification would such restrictions have. The student was not being vulgar or inciting violence.

You did remind me of something though. I was in elementary school and a student was clowning around and pretending to sniff something. The teacher pulled him into the library and gave him a loud long lecture. Maybe it was the right thing to do. Still it did not involve suspension and I am a believer that if something is a good idea it should stand on reason and not need intimidation. I believe that the minds of high school kids are sufficiently developed to reason and do not need to be treated like kids.

Last edited:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Well first I'm not s High School kid so it is not exactly my place. Second what justification would such restrictions have. The student was not being vulgar or inciting violence.

No, but he was encouraging, or at the very least declaring support for, illegal activities.

I doubt it will come as a surprise at all to any of you that most schools have major drug problems.

To think that a principal would hear of someone talking about how safe and okay pot is, and thus ask if that person is selling said drug, isn't a huge leap of logic. If you were the principal, you'd be remiss in your duties to not do the same frankly.

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta

The Canadian Charter applies everywhere. Freedom of speech exists where there is speech - exceptions are exceedingly rare and must be justified, such as in the military.

As far as the school is concerned, what about the concept of academic freedom? Teaching students the value of the pursuit of the truth, no matter how unfashionable it is?

Let's say the student was wrong in his conclusions. Wouldn't a better approach be to engage the student in debate, perhaps in class?

That way, everyone could learn something, and nobody would be hurt.

Pangloss

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
@ Karrie
I would disagree.

He is 15, he was discouraging two ilelgal activities (Tobacco and Alcohol)

It may suprise you, most schools have a worse smoking and ESPECIALLY alcohol problem in high schools then drug.

Far more people got drunk off their gourd (myself included) in high school (causing massive amounts of deaths) than smoked pot (which resulted in no deaths).

Saying illegal activity A is less lethal than illegal activities B and C doesn't strike me as a crime.

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
No, but he was encouraging, or at the very least declaring support for, illegal activities.

I doubt it will come as a surprise at all to any of you that most schools have major drug problems.

To think that a principal would hear of someone talking about how safe and okay pot is, and thus ask if that person is selling said drug, isn't a huge leap of logic. If you were the principal, you'd be remiss in your duties to not do the same frankly.

When I went to school everyone talked about this kind of stuff and it was no big deal. Maybe you were taught by nuns. :p

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta

Seriously, Karrie, it does not matter what the kid was saying, as long as it did not promote hatred or was intended to cause harm. He didn't yell "fire" in a theatre - he voiced an opinion. A researched opinion, to boot. This was an act of scholarship, for crying out loud.

An educational opportunity (perhaps for the teachers, too), not a act of sedition.

Pangloss

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
The Canadian Charter applies everywhere. Freedom of speech exists where there is speech - exceptions are exceedingly rare and must be justified, such as in the military.

As far as the school is concerned, what about the concept of academic freedom? Teaching students the value of the pursuit of the truth, no matter how unfashionable it is?

Let's say the student was wrong in his conclusions. Wouldn't a better approach be to engage the student in debate, perhaps in class?

That way, everyone could learn something, and nobody would be hurt.

Pangloss

See, if he had been asked for a paper on 'the dangers of marijuana', and he presented a paper stating that there ARE no dangers, or relatively few dangers, then I'd totally agree that the school has no right to question him on it.

But. The school system curtails free speech and personal freedoms in MANY other ways when it comes to student conduct in the halls. Dress codes. Behavior restrictions (no necking folks!). Language restrictions. Locker searches.

Questioning a boy as to whether or not he's selling pot, based on the fact that he's discussing its safety openly in the halls, just doesn't seem like an unreasonable leap given all the other rules in place in a highschool environment.