Campbell River Cruise Terminal Opens

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Not exactly national news but a pretty exciting time for our community. The first cruise ship docked today. Too bad the weather was the pits.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Yikes! Big boat so close to shore is pretty exciting. I've visited Campbell River when I was a kid. Caught my first Ling Cod there and was horrified to see the ugly mug once I got it ashore. heh heh

Good for the economy that ship, so is the community capitalizing on the stop?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
It was pretty robust last night. Stores stayed open late etc, however the weather was very disappointing. Some of those native artifact shops were selling expensive items. I'm sure a few bucks got dropped.

Toro

Senate Member
When is BC Ferries going to start landing there? When I come over to the Island from Vancouver, its an hours drive from Nanaimo to the Comox Valley. I would like to cut that time.

BTW, as a complete aside, one of the local grocery stores here has started selling Nanaimo Bars, which are my absolute favourite. Only once have I ever seen them in the States, and that was in the airport in Salt Lake City, so I'm pleased as punch. However, they've named them "Dream Bars." I've told them its "Nanaimo Bars." They thanked me because they didn't know how to pronounce "Nanaimo."

JoeSchmoe

Time Out
May 28, 2007
Vancouver Island
When I come over to the Island from Vancouver, its an hours drive from Nanaimo to the Comox Valley. I would like to cut that time.

It is 140 km (or so) from Vancouver to the Comox valley as the crow flies. The ferry takes an hour and a half to go 40 km accross the strait from Vancouver to the Island. A boat from Vancouver will not be cutting the time. It would take 5 hours plus and cost an arm and a leg. Better just to drive from Nanaimo. You can take a float plane to Campbell River from Vancouver if you're in a big rush!.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
True. It takes the cruise ships a minimum of 4 hours to pass Campbell River from Vancouver. A ferry to Nanaimo and the rest driving takes about 3 hours.