Protests across Canada denounce wars in Iraq and Afghanistan

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
By Melanie Patten
(CP) - Four years after American forces invaded Iraq, hundreds of anti-war protesters took to the streets across Canada on Saturday to denounce both the Iraqi conflict and the Canadian mission in Afghanistan.
Demonstrations were held in cities across the country, including Halifax, Montreal, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Toronto and Hamilton.
Holding signs that read "Together Against War" high above their heads, about 100 demonstrators marched under grey skies through downtown Halifax before stopping at a park for a rally.
The speakers included former U.S. marine Dean Walcott, who served in Iraq and is now trying to claim refugee status in Canada because of his objections to the war.
"I believe individual nations have the right to establish themselves as they see fit, and I believe they can do that without interference from the West," Walcott, 25, told a cheering crowd.
"There's got to be a better way for nations to be free rather than us putting a gun in their face and demanding it of them."
Walcott went on two tours of Iraq, where he served as a technician and worked with military police running convoys into Baghdad.
He left the marines in December and quietly boarded a bus to Toronto.
The U.S. invasion of Iraq began March 20, 2003, amid claims the Middle Eastern country possessed weapons of mass destruction and posed an "imminent threat." No such weapons were ever found.
Four years later, deposed leader Saddam Hussein has been executed, more than 3,200 U.S. troops have been killed and the country has degenerated into daily violence.
Halifax protest organizer Stu Neatby said the demonstration wasn't designed to chide military personnel, but rather the heads of both the U.S. and Canadian governments.
"We are here to condemn the leaders who send these people into failed, ridiculous and ill-thought missions to fight their own kind of colonial wars," he said.
The campaign in Afghanistan started in 2001, and Canada now has 2,500 troops in the country, most of them in Kandahar province. They are part of a NATO mission that includes more than 30,000 troops from several nations.
A few hundred protesters in Toronto rallied for a mix of causes beyond the withdrawal of troops from Afghanistan and Iraq.
Also on the agenda were the Kyoto protocol on reducing greenhouse gas emissions, the campaign for a $10 hourly minimum wage and democracy in Iran.
But for many of the placard-carrying protesters, the rallies have become a much-needed venue to release frustrations and speak their minds.
"It's sort of comforting to come out here and see other people who are like-minded and that the world is not a complete disaster and hopeless," said Sarain Boylan of Toronto, as her voice was drowned out by chants of "Out of Afghanistan, out of Iraq, Bush and Harper, bring the troops back."
"We're all here because we want peace and we want to bring about change."
About 200 people gathered in front of the National Gallery in Ottawa, across the street from the peacekeeping memorial.
They pounded drums while carrying placards and chanting anti-war slogans, some accusing Prime Minister Stephen Harper of genocide.
They demanded Canada withdraw from Afghanistan immediately, although there was no explanation of what might happen then.
In Winnipeg, about 200 people marched from the steps of the provincial legislature to the city's downtown carrying effigies of Harper and U.S. President George W. Bush.
"I would like to make it clear to the federal government that despite the yellow ribbons supporting the troops, some people don't support the war in Afghanistan," said Glenn Michalchuk, chairman of Peace Alliance Winnipeg.
"Just because we don't support the war doesn't mean we don't support our troops."
The Canadian commitment to stabilize Afghanistan has been extended until February 2009, though government and military officials have insisted soldiers will stay in the war-torn country until they are no longer needed.
That pledge comes despite polls that have suggested Canadians have been deeply split on the mission, and calls from the opposition not to extend the deployment further.
Since 2002, one Canadian diplomat and 45 soldiers have died in Afghanistan.
The last Canadian fatality was Cpl. Kevin Megeney, who died earlier this month in an apparent accidental shooting at the NATO base in Kandahar.
Megeney was buried Friday in his hometown of Stellarton, N.S.

Copyright © 2007 Canadian Press

crit13

Electoral Member
Mar 28, 2005
Whitby, Ontario
The crowds get smaller every year.

When your high profile individual is a coward that AWOLed, you know your wasting your time.

I saw the coverage on TV and most of the protesters were either muslim groups or anti-Americans. These people would be out protesting against the US for some other obscure reason even if there wasn't a war.

Burning effigies of Harper and accusing him of genocide? These people are ignorant at best or retarded at worst.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
The crowds get smaller every year.

When your high profile individual is a coward that AWOLed, you know your wasting your time.

I saw the coverage on TV and most of the protesters were either muslim groups or anti-Americans. These people would be out protesting against the US for some other obscure reason even if there wasn't a war.

Burning effigies of Harper and accusing him of genocide? These people are ignorant at best or retarded at worst.

The crowds were larger here than ever before, and I was amongst them. It takes a far braver man to cry "peace" than it does to say "war".

temperance

Electoral Member
Sep 27, 2006
Well, Watched the ground truth last night http://thegroundtruth.net/http://www.thegroundtruth.org/soldiers.html

Yeah ,its about American vets ,that got home 1-2 years(Afganastan ) ago and what they are facing ,first admitting ,that they had no clue who the enemy was ,what I mean is they couldn't tell insergant from civilian, they were order to kill on site run over people no matter who if the were in front of tanks ,once your there your there ,they said they were called hero's when they got home,but in their heart they felt like murderers, killing machines ,used ,how do you tell your wife you are not a hero your a murderer

Worst off is they need the money the earned for school for life

and if they mention post traumatic stress, well still on leave they were held back for "treatment " and then if they came home, then metioned post traumatic ,they we labeled with personality disorder and not cover financially --We are nextCanadaians what are are" Hero"s going to face ??--

I want to support my troops ,I want them to go on a live half normnal lives im sure 75 % never imagine the choas they would face

We all knew its happening(killing for power and oil) but like posters on here ,Anna Nicole Smith is much more important --a waste of time to null your mind so you dont think of the real world and what to come

Another comment on
Winter Soldier, and The Ground Truth was like watching a remake or sequel-- except it was about Iraq rather than Vietnam. Similar to Winter Soldier because of it's one-sided message, both films illustrate how gleefully we rush to engage in conflicts based on false pretenses, and allow our young and brave (and often naive) to bear the brunt of this greedy war profiteering. Both films effectively show that the mentality forced into the minds of the young and willing make them efficient killing machines, but the training falls woefully short of teaching the diplomatic and policing skills necessary to effectively win the hearts and minds of the people they're supposedly fighting for. This is ultimately what lost the war in Vietnam, and will likely lose the war in Iraq as well.

WE WILL BE DEALING WITH THIS IF WE ARENT ALREADY

So protest this !!

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
I don't support the Iraq campaign or Afghanistan but it does worry me to see the US's dilemma. The country is going to lose in both and in future, once the troops are home, it'll be all that harder to send them out again. Given how the world is evolving, it's not becoming a safer place. At some point we'll need US military strength to make a difference. Will it be willing to lead? When it's necessary?

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
I don't support the Iraq campaign or Afghanistan but it does worry me to see the US's dilemma. The country is going to lose in both and in future, once the troops are home, it'll be all that harder to send them out again. Given how the world is evolving, it's not becoming a safer place. At some point we'll need US military strength to make a difference. Will it be willing to lead? When it's necessary?

I for one will celebrate the day when no more American soldiers are sent anywhere to kill anybody. Better they keep their army at home to police the own crime ridden streets of their major cities.
Instead of "liberating"(aggressing) foreign nations, they should be about liberating their own people from crime and violence, making it safe once again to walk the streets of their cities.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Sanctus, the US has plenty to do in its own backyard but the international arena needs a policeman and the UN ain't up to the job. Who're you going to call?

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Sanctus, the US has plenty to do in its own backyard but the international arena needs a policeman and the UN ain't up to the job. Who're you going to call?

The UN is who I would call. The world does NOT need a "policeman". I am a pacifist. I do not believe in violence as a means of solving our issues with other countries. High time we began thinking of ways to ensure peace without resorting to violence.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Sanctus, I firmly believe China is set out on a course of regional if not global supremacy. It's spending huge amounts now on a military build-up. Its recent success with space-war weaponry is but one more step in a march to an inevitable confrontation. Already Japan is busily increasing military muscle and the countries of the South Pacific, Australia and New Zealand and more, are doing whatever they can to stay ahead of trouble. The UN will not be there when it's needed. Only the US offers the West protection. Whether we like it or not.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Sanctus, I firmly believe China is set out on a course of regional if not global supremacy. It's spending huge amounts now on a military build-up. Its recent success with space-war weaponry is but one more step in a march to an inevitable confrontation. Already Japan is busily increasing military muscle and the countries of the South Pacific, Australia and New Zealand and more, are doing whatever they can to stay ahead of trouble. The UN will not be there when it's needed. Only the US offers the West protection. Whether we like it or not.

I could not disagree more with the propaganda that the USA is our line of defence. I consider American foreign policy to be the biggest threat to world peace the world faces. In my mind, America is no better than other terrorist groups whose sole purpose in military activity is to protect and support American interests. Anyone who thinks the USA is involved in any military campaign for humanitarian purposes is naive, at best.

Last edited:

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
So if China becomes belligerent what are you going to do? Have another UN conference?

Perhaps, and probably. Peace begins with one person saying "no". Ghandi toppled the empire without firing one shot. Dr. King changed America without firing one shot. Jesus influenced the world without killing one person. These are my models of behaviour. Naive, possibly, but far better to think of peace than of war.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
I side with Tamarin on this issue

I would love the U.S. to return to an isolationist position for at least five years to put its own house in order but the international traumas going on all over the globe seem to keep them busily trying to do the "work" of the failed United Nations which I hold responsible for the chaos which now exists and has been responsible for the carnage that we now witness in so many countries in the world.

The U.S. is an independent nation and cannot police the world - the people who pay for this unwanted action - who pay taxes in the United States - are turning and may very well opt out of future international good will gestures for some time to come.

I myself, want no more killing, but the world will never let the U.S. rest until it - as a nation - decides to ignore the requests and messages of outrage it receives constantly.

Then what will the world want of the people? What next? Will there ever be enough to please?

Of course not. Nobody likes a winner. A successful nation which rose from a terrible birth, wars, depression, cold wars, jungle wars, death, destruction, while having to put off personal benefits to so many who work so hard....

Uncle Sam may not be flying a flag in the near future, but displaying his middle finger! It cannot come soon enough. I am tired of seeing the beautiful and necessary young donated for ugly causes - unworthy causes - Incredible waste!

As for the Canadian protests - the activists in Canada are never happier than when they have yet another U.S. issue of "bad guy" to celebrate..... it gets so old and useless.

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
How can anyone support either wars? Iraq was started on a big fat lie and in Afghantan there would be no Taliban if the US had not armed them to the hilt in the first place. Ben Laden would not be, although now they say he is dead, if the US and the CIA had not trained and used him.
Has nobody learned from the war in Vietman. The people of both these countries and like the Vietmanese, they have lived with war and death for hundreds of years caused by dictators and invaders. They do not mind the death when cause by one of their own but not from outsiders.
I posted this before, the history of Afghanistan:http://www.afghangovernment.com/briefhistory.htm
The people will do not want outsiders (invaders) in their countries.
Now the US are trying to stir up a mess with NKorea and Iran, when will it end. NKorea and Iran have said they are arming because if the US can attack a country on a big fat lie they could be next. No one can blame them for the way they think because both have past history of US meddling in their countries.
In both cases war is not the answer and causes nothing but bloodshed of the people and our troops. Our politicians seem to be unable to think of alternate ways to help. The people in these countries do need help but on their terms and not ours. You cannot force people to accept your ways when they don't have the faintest idea what that is. We need to help them in their mode.
Our soldiers are dying and been injured in these wars but have you noticed none of these politicians have any family on the front lines. I wonder how long these wars would last if the did!
Politicians will not end these wars unless pushed by the people because they like the "glory" of war. What a croc? Our soldiers support the war because they are doing a job they were trained for, however some a beginning to talk out against it.
It is a shame that anyone who is anti war is being labelled as not supporting the troops. Has anyone thought that this is because the pro war people cannot justify the war in the first place.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
As for the Canadian protests - the activists in Canada are never happier than when they have yet another U.S. issue of "bad guy" to celebrate..... it gets so old and useless.

With respect, your post is loaded with American propaganda that infests much of the media these days. This mindset that the USA is this poor, innocent country attacked by evil men for no reason and must defend itself, and the world, by invading other,smaller innocent nations. Canadian protests are not about bashing the US, for your information. It is Canadian men and women dying in Afghanistan.

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
What do you mean police the world? Look at the places they are supposedly policing there is a past US history with those countries and as time goes by there will be more and more because of meddling.

mapleleafgirl

Electoral Member
Dec 13, 2006
windsor,ontario
What do you mean police the world? Look at the places they are supposedly policing there is a past US history with those countries and as time goes by there will be more and more because of meddling.

what i would like someone who supports these wars to do is give me a good, solid reason why we have soldiers in those places. never mind this bogus talk about 'defending freedom"..but actually what the heck is iraq and afghanistan all about, anyway????

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Curiosity, yours is a voice of reason in an age of insanity. Well spoken!
Sparrow, I do not support the Iraq and Afghanistan incursions. I never did. But I also recognize that the world is a dangerous place and there is a role for intervention. The UN is not up to the job. We will need the US's strength and resolve at some point and I am thinking it might start to take an isolationist bent soon. And that makes all of our futures all that more precarious.
Sanctus, you are naive but that doesn't mean your positions aren't praiseworthy.

mapleleafgirl

Electoral Member
Dec 13, 2006
windsor,ontario
Curiosity, yours is a voice of reason in an age of insanity. Well spoken!
Sparrow, I do not support the Iraq and Afghanistan incursions. I never did. But I also recognize that the world is a dangerous place and there is a role for intervention. The UN is not up to the job. We will need the US's strength and resolve at some point and I am thinking it might start to take an isolationist bent soon. And that makes all of our futures all that more precarious.
Sanctus, you are naive but that doesn't mean your positions aren't praiseworthy.

well, as just one citizen of the world, let me just say to the usa, no thanks..save yourselves and leave the rest of us alone. maybe when they can practice what they preach, and the american people are truly free to live in peace inside the country, then they can worry about the rest of the world.half the reason the usa was attacked is their own fault in the first place for interfering.