Least Popular Prime Minister

Which PM was the Worst?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

marygaspe

Electoral Member
Jan 19, 2007
Lots of talk on this list about the most popular Prime Minister of recent times. Just for fun, which of the past ten Prime Minister's did, or do, you dislike the most?

Note: You can make more than one choice;-)

csanopal

Electoral Member
Dec 22, 2006
Toronto, ON
Lots of talk on this list about the most popular Prime Minister of recent times. Just for fun, which of the past ten Prime Minister's did, or do, you dislike the most?

Maybe, but no one of these people shines out as the most hated PM in recent times as dear ole Brian Mulroney!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

Diefenbaker might have been the closest.....Scrapping the Arrow was not a popular move but Mulroney all but destroyed the PC party. Anyone remember Mulroney fawning over Reagan? Lyin' Brian was the worst..... even though he still maintains that he was the best.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
That's for sure, and yet he won two majority governments back to back--go figure!

Believe me, I'm no fan of Lyin' Brian......I was a dissenter, joined the Reform Party very early on.

But Brian had the skill to put together a workable coalition......he placated Quebec with promises of constitutional change, he brought in some innovative (if sometimes unpopular) policies such as free trade and the GST, and people were absolutely sick to death of the Liberals..........

The Quebec thing blew up in his face, the GST proved very unpopular, and the guy's arrogance put the finishing touches on the demise of the PC Party.................Campbell wasn't even close to good enough to pull it back.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
That's for sure, and yet he won two majority governments back to back--go figure!

Not sure why many put the hate on for Mulroney. He gave us the GST which helped us reduce the deficit into a surplus, he gave us free trade which wasn't the doom and gloom the left predicted and he was forefront in the war on apartheid in South Africa.

He is far from the worst PM.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Hope you kidding, poster above.

Mulroney is the worst PM ever... special treatment for Quebec, GST, arrogance, personality.. yuck.. he killed the PC party... KILLED it.

I still shudder and scream at the TV every time I see Ben on Canadian Idol or E-talk.. people hate Brian so much, that they can't stand Ben Mulroney either.. b/c his personality is like his father...
(can't believe CTV hired him...)

Kim Campbell comes close too.. and she is the one that represents our only female PM.. sigh.
I did enjoy Kim's commercials against Jean.

and since Kim I have hated and detested every leader of the Liberal party... Chretian (ugly and yuck!), Martin, and Dion I can't stand. Why do the Liberals constantly pick up a French leader.

Maybe they could regain power if they got an anglaphone one for the first time in over a decade...

ehh... as you can see I hate Canadian politics.. its depresses me..

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Sorry can't agree, the current Tory government gives special treatment to Quebec as a nation, the GST helped make Canada the only G8 nation to post surpluses and reduce the national debt, Brian is not Ben, the Tories aren't, last time I checked to see who our leader was and the only reason the party was split was because of guys like Manning who hated the PC policies but they did help us and like I said his work getting rid of Apartheid.

Hardly the worst, I didn't say best but definitely not the worst.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Not sure why many put the hate on for Mulroney. He gave us the GST which helped us reduce the deficit into a surplus, he gave us free trade which wasn't the doom and gloom the left predicted and he was forefront in the war on apartheid in South Africa.

He is far from the worst PM.

Lyin' Brian gave us about a fifty billion dollar deficit every year he was in office. The only surplus was his arrogance.

He needed the GST to pay the interest on the massive debt he accumulated.

Free trade was better for the Americans than for us.

I'm glad he worked on apartheid in Africa.....He should have gone there .....and stayed..

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Lyin' Brian gave us about a fifty billion dollar deficit every year he was in office. The only surplus was his arrogance.

He needed the GST to pay the interest on the massive debt he accumulated.

Free trade was better for the Americans than for us.

I'm glad he worked on apartheid in Africa.....He should have gone there .....and stayed..

Mr. Mulroney inherited debts and deficits from the Liberals and had to tackle a recession and that is the same reason I give Bob Rae a pass on the Ontario economy at the time.

Without the GST the current Liberal government wouldn't have posted one single surplus.

Gone there and stayed? Nice respect for the work he did for millions of blacks.

Free trade was better for Americans? That is categorically untrue.

csanopal

Electoral Member
Dec 22, 2006
Toronto, ON
Mr. Mulroney inherited debts and deficits from the Liberals and had to tackle a recession and that is the same reason I give Bob Rae a pass on the Ontario economy at the time.

Without the GST the current Liberal government wouldn't have posted one single surplus.

Gone there and stayed? Nice respect for the work he did for millions of blacks.

Free trade was better for Americans? That is categorically untrue.

Phew, the Conservatives spent their entire term in office blaming the Liberals for everything. It got tiresome after the first year. Get over it, Mulroney was a dork, he lied to the people and the Free Trade hurt our economy big time. I lost two jobs in a row back then directly because of the Free Trade agreement with the States.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Lied? What lies are we talking about? Some jobs were lost and many were gained, are you employed now? We still have free trade and our unemployment numbers are the lowest in 30 years. Free trade also lead to massive amounts of American investment in Canada which also means jobs. Most job losses went to Asia but have been replaced with knowledge based jobs. If free trade was so much in favor of the U.S. than why did we have a long dragged out dispute over lumber?

csanopal

Electoral Member
Dec 22, 2006
Toronto, ON
Lied? What lies are we talking about? Some jobs were lost and many were gained, are you employed now? We still have free trade and our unemployment numbers are the lowest in 30 years. Free trade also lead to massive amounts of American investment in Canada which also means jobs. Most job losses went to Asia but have been replaced with knowledge based jobs. If free trade was so much in favor of the U.S. than why did we have a long dragged out dispute over lumber?

We're doing better now because we voted their lying asses out of office and put the real government back in power. Thank God the Liberals had such a long term to fix Conservative mis-use. Anyway, the whole history of this country is basic, the Liberals are the ruling party, and from time to time we let the Conservatives babysit to teach the Liberals a lesson when they get too high on themselves. most people don't vote Conservative, they actually vote against the Liberals.Takes a few years under the Conservatives and people can't wait to put the real government back into office.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Again the lying accusation with no substance and wasn't it the Liberals who misplaced and stole billions of our money?

Did you also know that Mulroney didn't like the idea of free trade at first but a royal commission on free trade, headed by a former Liberal finance minister who was appointed by Trudeau's government and gave a report to the Mulroney government in 1985 which Mulroney embraced.

Then to top it off the Liberals promised to renegotiate the free trade agreement and then did nothing and went with the status quo.....talk about lying.

Last edited:

tanakar

Nominee Member
Feb 14, 2007
Ontario
The Conservatives are, in short, a drag. their whole focus is always on trying to placate the USA. Mulroney was the worst. He all but gave Reagan oral sex everytime they met. Harper is coming up a close second though. Their first priority is the States, as I said, their next are the rich corporations,etc.. and somewhere at the bottom of the list is the Canadian people.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
The Conservatives are, in short, a drag. their whole focus is always on trying to placate the USA. Mulroney was the worst. He all but gave Reagan oral sex everytime they met. Harper is coming up a close second though. Their first priority is the States, as I said, their next are the rich corporations,etc.. and somewhere at the bottom of the list is the Canadian people.

What's wrong with being friends with the U.S.? Rich corporations? Where do you think the Libs get most of their money from?

I'm not a big Harper fan but I have been impressed with his performance so far. He actually keeps most of his promises.

RUEZ

Nominee Member
Feb 12, 2007
PG
We're doing better now because we voted their lying asses out of office and put the real government back in power. Thank God the Liberals had such a long term to fix Conservative mis-use. Anyway, the whole history of this country is basic, the Liberals are the ruling party, and from time to time we let the Conservatives babysit to teach the Liberals a lesson when they get too high on themselves. most people don't vote Conservative, they actually vote against the Liberals.Takes a few years under the Conservatives and people can't wait to put the real government back into office.
:laughing8::laughing8::laughing8::laughing8: :laughing8::laughing8::laughing8: :laughing8:

RUEZ

Nominee Member
Feb 12, 2007
PG
This poll points out the obvious liberal bias in this forum. We have Harper with 36% of the vote for worst PM and yet he has made no glaring mistakes and has in fact attempted to keep a lot of his election promiese. He has also brought pride and moral back to the military with his recent purchases and direction. His popularity in Canada is also growing and well ahead of his opponents. Maybe someone could explain to me why he is the worst PM?