More problem children today than 50 years ago

marygaspe

Electoral Member
Jan 19, 2007

[SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE]

By Lorrayne Anthony

TORONTO (CP) - If today's youth seem incorrigible, it's because there are more problem children now than 50 years ago, a study released Tuesday by the Vanier Institute for the Family suggests.

The finger of blame points at everyone: parents, schools, neighbourhoods and the media, said the author of the study, Anne-Marie Ambert, a professor of sociology who recently retired from York University in Toronto. "In the past, parents used to receive the support of their neighbours," she said.

But now, she observed, people are often afraid to intervene if they see children or teens misbehaving in the neighbourhood or at the mall.

Juvenile delinquency rates increased "spectacularly from the 1960s and have peaked in the mid-1990s," the study said.

"Although they have subsequently declined, these rates, as well as those for most problematic behaviours, have remained high among boys and have continued to rise among girls."

Problem behaviours include acts that hurt others, such as being disruptive, aggressive or delinquent.

The behaviours range from lying and running away, to fighting and bullying, theft and vandalism.

The paper is a review of hundreds of studies, mostly from Canada and the United States, that looked at various causes for the rise in children's behavioural problems.

The studies looked at poverty, peers, parenting, schooling, media, personality, genetics and communities.

"The conclusion you reach (after looking at all the research) is that we have a global environment which favours all of this," said Ambert, adding that children and teens are being raised in an "enabling environment."

Forensic psychologist Marta Weber helped develop personality profiling in the United States. She has seen parental influence on children evolve over the years.

"Because parents are spending less and less time with their kids because both parents are working for economic reasons and because the hold parents have on kids is less and less, it's a struggle to be the people who determine the identity of your child," she said from her home in New Mexico.

"What happens in school and in the mall and on the street becomes more and more important. So the variables are more, and the relative impact of parents is smaller. Which is ... you know, that's a hell of a comment."

"That's what Hillary Clinton was talking about when she said it takes a village. Because it is a village - for good or ill - that makes a kid, right?" she said, referring to a book the New York senator wrote in 1996.

The other disturbing trend in North America, Weber noted, is that kids who are headed for trouble appear to do so earlier.

The Vanier Institute study blames parents for being less available to their kids, schools and neighbourhoods offering weak community and social controls, less emphasis on religion, a rise in single-parent families and more access to visual media.

But Ambert stressed that most children are resilient and turn out to be good citizens.

"Obviously a lot of parents are still doing a good job and a lot of children are very well grounded... There are still lots of good schools out there and still lots of good neighbourhoods. There's still a lot of positives that society offers so that the majority of children don't fall into this (problem) category."

"But unfortunately a greater and greater proportion are being affected."

The paper even takes aim at something many women feel is a positive for children: feminism.

Ambert said the only surprise she found when looking at the literature was that more girls are engaging in physically aggressive behaviour than in the past.

"In feminism we have emphasized changing girls much more than we emphasized changing guys. So nurturing sort of has gone out of the way as a role model for females. So that means if you are less nurturing you are more likely to be more aggressive, as males are," she said.

"But on the other hand, we just cannot say it is feminism strictly because this would not have occurred in a context that did not have a violent media and the consumerism media that we have."

But Ambert was quick to point out that it is almost impossible to research the influence of visual media as scientists would have to compare children who have had no exposure to these technologies living in the same environment with children who have been exposed. And no matter how vigilant parent think they are when it comes to their kids' screen time, most children today have had exposure.

Copyright © 2007 Canadian Press

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
It certainly does take a village!!!

When I was young I knew that if my parents didn't know what i was doing..the neighbour did, and if she didn't the school teacher or principal did. But further they all had a say in it, they all would tell me if it was wrong, the teacher could correct me (one way or the other..usually the other :) ) and that damn women down the road would tell my Mom!!! Were were not perfect and we did lots of terrible things but we had a respect for Authority since Authority came with consequences, soemthing unheard of now.

After haveing kids in Toronto I clicked in to this lack of respect, manners or for that manner no respect for life that my kids would face in the city, Maybe I should have stayed to fight it dunno. But I up and left to a rural street far away with 30 homes and no more for miles. I know all the people on the street, they know my kids, they know where they are if I don't.... They can knock on theor door with a problem..They are learning about that village an how they fit in....

to further this thread, you should read this weeks McLeans about bubble wrapping our kids...It's more of this keeping our kids from our society.

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
Boy am I glad that our son is an adult. Today with what we call here in Quebec "Enfant Roi", it becomes and extreme exercise in tolerance and control on our part. Often you cannot even have a leisurely meal in a restuarant. The children are not a fault for this behavior, their behavior has been formed by adults inside and outside of the home.

marygaspe

Electoral Member
Jan 19, 2007
Boy am I glad that our son is an adult. Today with what we call here in Quebec "Enfant Roi", it becomes and extreme exercise in tolerance and control on our part. Often you cannot even have a leisurely meal in a restuarant. The children are not a fault for this behavior, their behavior has been formed by adults inside and outside of the home.

Me too. I agree with the study results. Children today are, in a word, awful. Not all of them, but far too many to be comfortable. I see them all over the place, flying into rages, being rude to adults, etc.etc.I don't think I could handle raising my kids now---too many influences from outside to make the job harder!

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
I was brought the same way, as you say we got into trouble but we always got caught. Today you have to be careful when you go to see a child's parent because of something he/she did, you have just as much of a chance of being cursed out, door slammed in you face or the parent exacting some kind of revenge because "their child is perfect". That happened to us, because we spoke to the parent because of his son he put carpet tacks in our driveway while we were at work, twice. The most stupid part was that he did it in plain daylight, our neighbors say him so when we called the police we had witnesses. How stupid can you be? We did not have further problems because the police told him that is ever there was anything else in our driveway they would charge him. Since then we have moved away but I would be curious to see how his 2 boys turned out.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
The study did say the problem peaked in the mid 90's. I was a teen in the 70's. My mom born in 1919. She didn't have clue what I did in life. I think the much older generation just assumed everyone was like them and didn't imagine the problems that kids could run into. Today's parents are more aware of the real world, for the most part, and of what happens in their kids lives. I think the schools are doing better too. I haven't lost hope.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I think today, that parents have to care enough not to let their kids be raised by the television, or the computer. That does not look like an easy job. My kids are grown and doing fine. My one(at this point)grandson seems to be headed in the right direction. Granddaughter just had her first birthday.

Computers and peer pressure will likely be the big problem for kids growing up today. I don't envy young parents.

mapleleafgirl

Electoral Member
Dec 13, 2006
windsor,ontario
this is crap. i mean, sometimes i get tired of reading about how bad teenagers are today, or how bad kids are, whatever. all these adults thinking like theyre so perfect and above anything. if the kids are so bad anyway, whose fault is it/ not ours. anyway, i dont believe it. i bet back in your days your parents thought exactly the same about you guys.

mapleleafgirl

Electoral Member
Dec 13, 2006
windsor,ontario
The study did say the problem peaked in the mid 90's. I was a teen in the 70's. My mom born in 1919. She didn't have clue what I did in life. I think the much older generation just assumed everyone was like them and didn't imagine the problems that kids could run into. Today's parents are more aware of the real world, for the most part, and of what happens in their kids lives. I think the schools are doing better too. I haven't lost hope.

yeah, and i bet in the 1970's your mom thought you guys were wicked. all that rock androll, drugs and long hiair on guys. levis, whatever. my point is i think every generation thinks the kids are the worst ever.

whicker

Electoral Member
Feb 20, 2005
Ontario
yeah, and i bet in the 1970's your mom thought you guys were wicked. all that rock androll, drugs and long hiair on guys. levis, whatever. my point is i think every generation thinks the kids are the worst ever.
You are probably right about each generation thinking that its youth is the worst. However. Bad as they may have been the young people of today, by comparison, are worse. Take the problems of yester youth and multiply them 1000% and you have youth today.
You are partially right in saying that it it not the fault of the youths as society has been, over the generations, gone to extremes in liberalism. When you have problem teens that are having babies, for whatever reasons, when there are parents who are worse minded then those that they are bringing up and when you allow rights (severely over abused) and freedoms (severely over abused) with no consequences because it is against their whatever, then the result is what we have in the world today.
When the adults of today act worse then the youth of today then ............................

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
The flipside is 99.99% of parents do a better job of raising kids today than they did 100 years ago. I know a retired US pediatrician who is now a consultant to parents with problem kids (not my kid, he's just a friend). He told me if anyone had the mindset today of a parent 100 years ago they'd be put into an asylum.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Ok, that statement is forgetting some things.

1.) Enforcement.

Delinquincy occurances are down, enforcement is up. The numbers convicted are still higher. Look at the numbers of unconvicted.

2.) Criteria.

The numbers are still too high because "normal" things before..like racial lynch mobs, are now extreme delinquincy.