Calling all Cannuks!: About your music

Truekiwijoker

Nominee Member
Oct 24, 2006
From what I know of your country it is first-rate and one to be envious of in terms of living standards and lifestyles, so I feel I have to ask some of you about an issue I was discussing with some of my workmates today.

We were discussing loathesome popular music and trying to top each other for naming abysmal music, when it dawned on one of us that that artists, bands and the music from Canada was predominantly mentioned. Following this tangent further none of us could think of any Canadian music we liked.

So what I want to know is:

1) Why is this so with such a prosperous economy and British heritage?

2) Can anyone enlighten me to some Canadian music that ISN'T absolutely atrocious?

I'd appreciate any help on this matter.

Cheers, truekiwijoker.

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
well dear Sir, it's a matter of choice...you would have to tell which kind of music you hate would you not?

We do have the whole range of Artists, maybe it's more that the ones h\who are palyed the most are the ones who sell the most and not likley the best ones??

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
Agreed-, you'd have to give and example of what you have heard and not liked, THEN maybe someone could suggest something that is different- there IS a whole lot of different music- pop music generally sucks no matter what country it's from (unless you're talking about certain places- Indian Bhangra is pure pop but is fun to listen to, f'rinstance)

I could suggest RUSH say, but maybe you don't like that type of music so no matter how "good" the band was you would not be swayed- so help narrow this business down and we might have something :D

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
no way...Anne Murray when she drops her sleeve off her shoulder during a rendition of Snow Bird...dang makes me wanna have a 50 at the legion and sing along hehehehe!!!

Honestly though yes give an example!!! are we talking old rock "Rush, Bto" or bubble gum Avril, or Greenday, or Nickelback or Gordon lightfoot???

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
The fact you can name any band from Canada that gained popularity is a compliment to them no matter what your opinion of them is. The name of any Kiwi band escapes me. "Popular" music is generally schlock for the ears anyway. The industry now is a hybrid Rock-Country thing. I call it Schlock Rock. There are only so many ways you dress up a spam sandwich.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
Isn't canada's super sexy musical/cultural hero Stomping Tom?

Then there are the screeching loons like sarah mclaughlen, avril, shania twain, and the one that has her own statium in Vegas.

On the other hand, there are the naked ladies, kim mitchel, bob rock/rock and hyde/the payolas, bif naked.

But I can't think of any quality canadian content (oh, maybe I know of some composer but I just don't know he is from canukistan because his/her works stand on their own).

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Isn't canada's super sexy musical/cultural hero Stomping Tom?

Then there are the screeching loons like sarah mclaughlen, avril, shania twain, and the one that has her own statium in Vegas.

On the other hand, there are the naked ladies, kim mitchel, bob rock/rock and hyde/the payolas, bif naked.

But I can't think of any quality canadian content (oh, maybe I know of some composer but I just don't know he is from canukistan because his/her works stand on their own).

Stompin Tom, forgot about that stud. One of my fav actually.

Another one of my favorites (if you like this type of music) is these guys http://www.crowmedicine.com/audiovideo.html Old Crow Medicine Show. Check out their videos!

Truekiwijoker

Nominee Member
Oct 24, 2006
I could suggest RUSH say, but maybe you don't like that type of music so no matter how "good" the band was you would not be swayed- so help narrow this business down and we might have something :D

Well RUSH were one of those named amongst awful. HAHAHA! Geddy Lee. And I LOVE good rock music.

Truekiwijoker

Nominee Member
Oct 24, 2006
The fact you can name any band from Canada that gained popularity is a compliment to them no matter what your opinion of them is.

Now Kreskin, you must be naive to think that these bands really gained popularity. I mean just because some act gets thrashed on commercial radio does not necessarily mean anyone's buying his/her/their material. Surely you appreciate that?

he name of any Kiwi band escapes me.

Oh don't get me started on New Zealand music most of which you can rest assured is rubbish. There have been some successes in the U.S. and the U.K. but I guess it never got to Canada.

"Popular" music is generally schlock for the ears anyway. The industry now is a hybrid Rock-Country thing. I call it Schlock Rock. There are only so many ways you dress up a spam sandwich.

Yeah well, most 'pop' music is balls. But it's just seems to me that Canada has been proficient in inflicting extraordinarily large amounts of this mediocre run-of-the-mill talentless guff.

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
I think he is- we got a few "heavy hitters" in the schmaltz-musik category

How bout the Tragically Hip? I kinda despise them but they're not exactly "pop=crap" so much

Ever heard of Big Sugar?? They, too, have a couple of decent tunes

Maybe the Philosopher Kings, if ya like that type of music- I don't, again, but they are musically really impressive

Triumph had some decent "classic rock" tunes, and Rik Emmet is prety damn impressive tho he is out of the "mainstream" with his current setup....

Anvil were wicked, and for some fine heavy metal, Exciter is damn good although they don't have too much material

How bout Voivod?? They are alright, too

And there's always Saga (if ya likes Prog-rock)

Or maybe Trooper, everyone loves raise a little hell (especially the Ontario NDP ;))

Thems some alright acts I think, not all my cup of tea but alright

OH and for "current" bands, I kinda dig some of Sloans stuff