One word to describe Canada --- SLOW

richmondrichmond

Sep 19, 2006
Here is my brief description of Canada after living here for 10 years:

Cons:
1) SLOW. You will find a lot of things are slow in Canada. Customer services people are slow here. You will notice it at places like cashiers, banks,...etc. You will spend a lot of time lining up here. I guess it's because people are more relax here, that's why their pace are slower.

2) SLOW again. This is the last place for new technology or products to arrive. If you see or hear any new products out there, you won't find it in Canada at least 1 year or 2 later. Just to give you an example of how outdated we are, our public transportation system is still using little tokens and tickets, or a guy sitting at the gate to collect tokens. Another example, we don't have 3G here.

3) Not a place for shoppings. Mostly malls and they are all the same. You won't find nice stuff here.

4) High Tax. You pay lot of taxes here.

4) Shops close early. I live in Toronto. The city is dead after 6:30 on weekdays and is dead on weekends.

Pros:

1) People are friendly and tolerable. They can put up with anything.

2) lots of land.

Conclusion:

If you are looking for a place to retire, Canada is for you. If you are young and looking for an exciting place, with trendy places and ideas, go to Japan, Hongkong or New York. But if you insist to come to Canada, go to Montreal instead.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
richmondrichmond said:
Here is my brief description of Canada after living here for 10 years:

Cons:
1) SLOW. You will find a lot of things are slow in Canada. Customer services people are slow here. You will notice it at places like cashiers, banks,...etc. You will spend a lot of time lining up here. I guess it's because people are more relax here, that's why their pace are slower.

2) SLOW again. This is the last place for new technology or products to arrive. If you see or hear any new products out there, you won't find it in Canada at least 1 year or 2 later. Just to give you an example of how outdated we are, our public transportation system is still using little tokens and tickets, or a guy sitting at the gate to collect tokens. Another example, we don't have 3G here.

3) Not a place for shoppings. Mostly malls and they are all the same. You won't find nice stuff here.

4) High Tax. You pay lot of taxes here.

4) Shops close early. I live in Toronto. The city is dead after 6:30 on weekdays and is dead on weekends.

Pros:

1) People are friendly and tolerable. They can put up with anything.

2) lots of land.

Conclusion:

If you are looking for a place to retire, Canada is for you. If you are young and looking for an exciting place, with trendy places and ideas, go to Japan, Hongkong or New York. But if you insist to come to Canada, go to Montreal instead.

You are making ridiculous generalizations.

I have never noticed the "slow" customer service you refer to other then in the bank, which old people monopolize their time. Who are you comparing Canada with in that regard?

In regards to Canada being slow to adapting technology: That is bullshit. Canada receives high tech products at pretty much the same time as the US. So what if the TTC doesn't have electronic tokens, that's not exactly cutting edge technology. In regards to Canada not having any 3G carriers; http://www.bell.ca/support/PrsCSrvWls_Cvg_1x_network.page . Read the link, Mobility offers 3G.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Richmond, you could head down to the "Passport Office" and hence move your lifestyle to the "Fast" Zone. We have airports ya know.

richmondrichmond

Sep 19, 2006
Thanks for the reply. Bell started to have CDMA 3G the end of last year. Europe and Asia have been using it for 2 yrs now. You can still find VHS video tapes here which was obsoleted in Asia more than 10 years ago.

By the way, do you go to WALMART and HOME DEPOT?

richmondrichmond

Sep 19, 2006
Oh. Just to give you another example . I bought a new cell phone outside of Canada back in 2004 dec. I came back trying to find a mini-SD memory card for it. I went to all these big stores, no one knew what it was. Until I year later, they finally had it. Luckily that I bought one oversea when I bought the phone.

Anyway, if you are still not convinced, I guess you are so used to it. Good for you.

peace

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Re: RE: One word to describe Canada --- SLOW

richmondrichmond said:
Thanks for the reply. Bell started to have CDMA 3G the end of last year. Europe and Asia have been using it for 2 yrs now. You can still find VHS video tapes here which was obsoleted in Asia more than 10 years ago.

By the way, do you go to WALMART and HOME DEPOT?

Richmond, VHS is obsolete, go into a blockbuster or a future shop and tell me how much shelve space is dedicated to VHS?

Europe and Asia have been using G3 for 2 years: This is North America if you haven't noticed.

Do I shop at walmart or home depot? no.

Toro

Senate Member
RE: One word to describe

Canada is slower, at least compared to the US. The service is usually not as good, either, except, oddly, I like the banks in Canada much better.

I don't think Canada is behind the US, at least in communications technology.

I wouldn't suggest anyone going to Japan, unless perhaps you are Japanese. I'd rather be in Canada.

I shop at Wal-Mart and Home Depot, though the former as sparingly as possible.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
It all depends on what your talking about. For instance Canada has a very low cell phone ownership rate compared with most other prosperous countries. However access to internet in Canada is higher than it is in the US....don't ask me to explain why, I have no clue. :?

athabaska

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2005
Prior to cell phones Canada was considered to have the most efficient phone system in the world and a service that was much less expensive than in most developed countries. Even in the 1980's many Europeans did not have a phone in the home. I lived in 3 different European countries and never had a phone in the home...although they became more common over that time.

Canadians had and still have less incentive to use cell phones than much of the developed world. Many folks outside of Canada did not go from a land line to a cell phone but from 'no phone' to a cell phone. In Canada land lines are available in nearly all homes, are relatively inexpensive and are efficient. We don't have a cell phone.

sha_zapple

Nominee Member
Jan 26, 2006
Hank C said:
However access to internet in Canada is higher than it is in the US....don't ask me to explain why, I have no clue. :?

A lot of places around here (Fredericton, NB) have free wifi internet. All the main streets, all of the university campus, etc...

EastSideScotian

Stuck in Ontario...bah
Jun 9, 2006
Petawawa Ontario
I laughed my ass off reading this cell phone argument, I Work for Aliant, and I worked for Cingular in the states for Tech Support, On top of this I have worked for Rodgers at a Rodgers Store.

Canada has CDMA with Aliant, Telus, Bell and so on. Rodgers however is the only service with GSM at the moment other than I bleave Fido? I dont know anything about Fido though...

CDMA is garbage anyway. GSM is much better and far more useful. Canada has both so deos that really matter?

Also....UMTS kills all cell technolgy Canadian Cell companys (Rodgers) will be launching a much more large scale UMTS Sytem in the next 2 years, In the states however Cingular hte largest cell provider has a UMTS phone...just one, and that was available through ATT before the Merger...That phone isnt even buyable anymore......Cingular Plans to lunch UMTS in New York in 1 year then Nation wide in 3....Canada however goes nation wide with UMTS in 2.

As for technolgy, Canada has a large grip on internet and Modem Products, Routers and Global Communication Tech....We build the shit and sell it to the Americans, as ginni pigs really. Tech Nolgy, ever hear of the Canarm with out that their would be less of a space stain, which by the way has tons more Canadian Technolgy. Oh and your super sonci air planes you fly...We created the first.....Lets see what else....We have some of the biggest game manufactures around...EA...ever hear of them?? Yea thats Canadian....As for technolgy and advancement....we are more tech inclined and versed than americans, maybe due to a lower population, but we got the smarts to use things.........

Your post is bull shit....as for your Customer Care, about 50% american Customer care is based in Canada, run by Thrid parties Like Convergys, Minacs and Telatech. ANother 30% of your Customer care is in INDIA.......and Mexico.....

You know nothing...

Slowness? we prefer to call it getting it right.

Next time you say stupid shit, perhaps say it to epople who dont live in the country you are saying shit about....because we know why we are the way we are, much better than you.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto

richmondrichmond said:
And after all these years, there are still no coverage in Subway. Hmmmm.......

That might have something to do with you being "underground". radio signals don't pass easily through concrete & earth. Also, this isn't a lack of technology issue, maybe you should petition your cell phone carrier to work out a deal with the ttc to provide signal underground?

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Good grief Canada is slow because we don't wonder around with cell phones glued to our ears chatting with our Mommies. You give him hell Durkadurka.

Lord people can be pompous at times, I own a cell phone which is kept in the truck for emergencies. It's a Ford so I have only one number on speed dial, the tow truck company. Canada is not slow we are relaxed.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Richmondrichmond

You could have put a positive spin and included the nice Canadians who have read and responded to your whining about their country.

I won't print mine.

athabaska

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2005

Sassylassie said:
Good grief Canada is slow because we don't wonder around with cell phones glued to our ears chatting with our Mommies. You give him hell Durkadurka.

Lord people can be pompous at times, I own a cell phone which is kept in the truck for emergencies. It's a Ford so I have only one number on speed dial, the tow truck company. Canada is not slow we are relaxed.

so true. My wife and I get a kick out of many of the conversations we over hear. We'll be in the grocery store and an adult can't decide what box of cereal to buy and calls home.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Hey richmondrichmond,

If you hate Canada so much because of a cell phone network, why don't you just pack up and go back to Asia? You sound like you could really have an improved life under the red flag of glorious China. When you go, don't bring back SARS or Malaria.

Trendy ideas in Japan and Hong Kong? Let's just take a moment to RESEARCH the background of any and all the inventions you've mentioned. Are any of them from Asia? I can't even spot one.

Then you're obviously LYING. In Toronto, Boutiques/Clothing shops/Shopping malls/Grocery stores/Pharmacies/Most things close at or after 21:00. Restaurants close from 22:00 - 00:00 or later/24hours for fast food. Metro goes until 01:35, bus all night.

Can anyone smell shit? I sure can.

Again, some of the crap that comes from Asia isn't worth my time. You can keep your counterfeit Oakleys, thanks.

You can still find VHS video tapes here which was obsoleted in Asia more than 10 years ago.

Another lie. Furthermore, your country is the largest producer of LOW-QUALITY, pirated VCDs.

Get a grip! Go back to where you came from.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
richmondrichmond

I hope you are not holding Wal-mart up as any kind of purvayer of high tech. I've only been in Wal-mart once. I saw a twenty acre store with every kind of cheap junk imaginable and the sales staff were invisible.

Home Depot? You're kidding. In Nanaimo we have two of the best lumber yards around : Home hardware, and Windsor Plywood. The people actually know what they are talking about, and they carry things thar Home Depot doesn't. For tools, why would anyone go anywhere but Canadian Tire.

Slow? Who is slow? Watch the next federal election. All the votes accross the country are counted in one evening, by hand. Remember the Florida recount ....they coudn't do it in two weeks. Of course, maybe they weren't slow. They could have just been crooked.

I suggest you take Sassy's advice and grab the next plane to where you think it is iperfect.. Come again when you can't stay so long.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
It's wierd. I live in the LA area (love it down here) and I don't think it's any faster than Toronto was. Things aren't open later that I've noticed.

I did get a cell phone once I moved here and I didn't have one in Toronto. But, that's only because I move all the time so I thought it would be better than having a land line that would be always changing. I really don't think cell phones are what I'd use to judge a place.