What is life like in Canada? (What Is Life Like In Canada)

FrankieGib
Hello,

My name is Frankie and I'm from Ireland. I'm considering moving to Canada ( no city chosen yet) for a period of one year possibly longer. I have heard that Canada is a beautiful country to live in and the people are really friendly. I have a degree in Telecomms and have 7 years experience in the industry.
Can someone please answer the following questions:

1) Is there a particular city which offers more for someone aged 27?
2) Is there much employment at present in the telecomms industry in Canada?
3) What are the main sports canadians play? Is soccer or rugby popular there?
4) Are canadians friendly towards foreign people living\working in their country or do they feel threatened?
5) Is the cost of living high ( e.g. rent , eating out etc ) ?
6) Is the weather at Wintertime extremely harsh ?

Any further input received would be gratefully accepted.

Many thanks.

DurkaDurka
Quote: Originally Posted by FrankieGib

Hello,

My name is Frankie and I'm from Ireland. I'm considering moving to Canada ( no city chosen yet) for a period of one year possibly longer. I have heard that Canada is a beautiful country to live in and the people are really friendly. I have a degree in Telecomms and have 7 years experience in the industry.

1) Is there a particular city which offers more for someone aged 27? Toronto, Monteal, Vancouver, Calagry etc.
2) Is there much employment at present in the telecomms industry in Canada? Lots of employment options in the telcom industry. check out www.bell.ca (external - login to view) or www.telus.ca (external - login to view)
3) What are the main sports canadians play? Is soccer or rugby popular there? Soccer & rugby are played in Canada, not on the same scale as Europe though
4) Are canadians friendly towards foreign people living\working in their country or do they feel threatened? Canada is very tolerant.
5) Is the cost of living high ( e.g. rent , eating out etc ) ? Depends on the city/area
6) Is the weather at Wintertime extremely harsh ? Depends on the area.

Many thanks.

Graeme
Frankie, what part of Ireland are you from?

You will pretty much find a bar scene and a bar which suits you in any major city, also most cities have live theatre and you can find a soccer team to join in just about every city in canada (cost is generally $200 (96) including a jersey. Rugby is a little harder it mostly only exists in our highschools and colleges but there are SOME adult teams.

If you don't want to spend to much on rent then I would suggest against the cities suggested by durka and instead live within an hour or 2 drive of one of those major cities. although we are only talking about 200 or so per month more for rent. Maybe another 100 for other expenses. Eating out will cost between 5 and 30 (CAD) depending on what you get (including a drink). Obviously you can spend more, but for a regular dinner meal you won't spend more than say 20-25 including tip.

Any city with over 100,000 people will have pretty much the same amenities but they will be cheaper in rent than the mega cities listed by durka.

Depending on the type of work you do in telecom some places may be better for you than others. If you want to be a technician of sorts here then you can work anywhere - This may be your best option because you may have trouble finding an engineering job as you can only give a year commitment.

Bell Canada has jobs all over the place, I would check out the site like Durka suggested. Ontario is probably your best bet for work in tech overall, including telecom, although montreal also has a big telecom industry.

Are Canadians friendly towards foreign people? YES, you won't have any problems in that department, (contrary to popular CANADIAN belief some cultures do have a few problems in canada, but generally everyone is VERY polite to everyone else) You will have a very easy time with the ladies as well (accent).

The weather isn't too bad, if you want weather like Ireland, I would suggest B.C., The winters do get cold and there will be snow anywhere else

here are some climate graphs for you.
www.canadainfolink.ca/climatecentral.htm (external - login to view)

When you come bring me some British Cocolate Bars!

Flake, Cadbury's fruit n Nut, just the regular stuff over there!

Carmoral
aww Graeme, if ur that desperate I'll send ya some chocolate lol.

McDonald
If you want to come to Canada, go for it. How about visiting first, just to see how you like it.

Colpy
Quote: Originally Posted by McDonald

If you want to come to Canada, go for it. How about visiting first, just to see how you like it.

Yeah.

Do so in mid January.

I live in a reasonably mild part of the country, and we usually get a few days of -25 degrees celcius in January. The wind chill can take that to -50.

In case you're wondering, that's F'ing COLD!

The summer is lovely.......and winter does have its charm.

It is just that I like it less and less as I get older.

richmondrichmond
Here is my brief description of Canada after living here for 10 years:

Cons:
1) SLOW. You will find a lot of things are slow in Canada. Customer services people are slow here. You will notice it at places like cashiers, banks,...etc. You will spend a lot of time lining up here. I guess it's because people are more relax here, that's why their pace are slower.

2) SLOW again. This is the last place for new technology to arrive. If you see or hear any new products out there, you won't find it in Canada at least 1 year or 2 later. Just to give you an example of how outdated we are, our public transportation system is still using little tokens and tickets, or a guy sitting at the gate to collect tokens. Another example, we don't have 3G here.

3) High Tax. You pay lot of taxes here.

4) Shops close early. I live in Toronto. The city is dead after 6:30 on weekdays and is dead on weekends.

Pros:

1) People are friendly and tolerable. They can put up with anything.

2) lots of land.

Conclusion:

If you are looking for a place to retire, Canada is for you. If you are young and looking for an exciting place, with trendy places and ideas, go to Japan, Hongkong or New York. But if you insist to come to Canada, go to Montreal instead.

Hope this helps,

escrayzee
Quote: Originally Posted by richmondrichmondView Post

Here is my brief description of Canada after living here for 10 years:

Cons:
1) SLOW. You will find a lot of things are slow in Canada. Customer services people are slow here. You will notice it at places like cashiers, banks,...etc. You will spend a lot of time lining up here. I guess it's because people are more relax here, that's why their pace are slower.

2) SLOW again. This is the last place for new technology to arrive. If you see or hear any new products out there, you won't find it in Canada at least 1 year or 2 later. Just to give you an example of how outdated we are, our public transportation system is still using little tokens and tickets, or a guy sitting at the gate to collect tokens. Another example, we don't have 3G here.

3) High Tax. You pay lot of taxes here.

4) Shops close early. I live in Toronto. The city is dead after 6:30 on weekdays and is dead on weekends.

Pros:

1) People are friendly and tolerable. They can put up with anything.

2) lots of land.

Conclusion:

If you are looking for a place to retire, Canada is for you. If you are young and looking for an exciting place, with trendy places and ideas, go to Japan, Hongkong or New York. But if you insist to come to Canada, go to Montreal instead.

Hope this helps,

I don't really think you gave fair statements about Canada. Some maybe but not all.

First of all, slow? If you were in customer service getting paid minimum wage how fast would you want to work? As for banks. I bank online (i.e. no line-ups ever). The rare time that I have to actually go into a bank, there is normally a line yes. It is annoying but I just bite the bullet and get it over with.

As for as technology, I have a friend of mine (100% Canadian) whose got a Russian wife. He keeps insisting cell phone models here were had in Russia years ago. He exagerates so much and I tell him to move to Russia if he thinks it's SO cool. Canada has ALOT more going for it than Russia does. I'm not saying that i know Russia like the back of my hand but from the sounds of it, if you're very well off, Russia might be alright. But if you're middle class or less then it's probably rough.

The whole tokens and tickets thing for public transportation is strictly because Toronto doesn't get as much as they should from the provincial and federal government (i.e. public transportation suffers). It's trying to be delt with but governments slack.

We don't have 3G here. We have GSM, CDMA, TDMA, etc. yeah it could be better for sure in that respect.

Taxes, yes be pay ALOT of taxes. don't even get me started. I'm not going to say anymore about that.

Shops do not close early. I live in Toronto too FYI. I mean it really is quite a shame that you can't spontaniously go buy new clothes at 4 a.m. Get real. It's "dead" because you must live in a closet or lead an extremly sheltered life. I've never heard anyone say that about Toronto.

It's a shame that you make Canada sound like a huge senior citizen club. Canada is huge and there's TONS of stuff to do no matter what kind of person you are. There's oceans, rocky mountains, prairies (uuughhhh if you're into that), forests, TONS of amazing lakes, big cities, more forests and lakes, east coast, west coast, farm land (if you're into that), tundra way up north. Because the land mass is so huge, the weather and seasons can vary dramatically.

Montreal is an amazing place. I've been twice and loved it. There's so many different things in Canada. It kind of doesn't do anything justice to compare because it's like compare apples to oranges.

chicaloc1
Well, all I'll add is that Toronto is definitely not dead by 6:30. Stores are generally opened until around 9 on weeknights. Yes, unless you live in a closet. But for those who venture out and about, they'll find things open quite late.
The best place to find employment is without doubt a major centre, like Toronto or Vancouver. Vancouver has the weather on its side, and the beautiful ocean and mountains. Toronto has its own stuff going on, though not the beauty of the west.
Coming from the East coast, I'd have to say that's the place to go if you're looking for views, but probably not a good choice for employment.
Best advice - come for a visit, check out a variety of places and decide.

Kreskin
Come out to Vancouver Island in January. I'll take you golfing.

I would suggest moving to Eastern Canada. Too many people moving to BC as it is.

iluvpoutine
Come to Montreal - we love Irish accents! ;0
but you'll probably have an easier time finding employment in Toronto or Ottawa! Good luck!

ponygurl
Unless you are born in Canada, or too poor to leave, I can't imagine that you will become passionate about our winter weather.

missile
Strangely enough, Montreal is the most Irish city in Canada..I can just imagine someone speaking French with an Irish brogue Next to that, my home town boasts of it's Irish heritage[part Irish myself ]

temperance

ottawa kanata --aka silicon valley
yes if you have a mega skills list
hockey ---fotball ruby --ottawa loves its scoccer

4) Are canadians friendly towards foreign people living\working in their country or do they feel threatened?
we are a muticultural mecca
yes
yes

Ottawa is full of people form some where else ---youre probably use to rain so snow is much prettier
dont expect to get into a top of the line job unless you prove your self

whats wrong there ?

Liliput
Quote: Originally Posted by FrankieGibView Post

Hello,

Many thanks.

wow, you received lots of rather negative replies. Well I tend to disagree with most of them.

So here are my answers:

1) Is there a particular city which offers more for someone aged 27? Every city will have something to offer you. Personally being a nova scotian, I like Halifax for a city. Its small, friendly and kinda quirky.
Check the NS government site, it will have more info on the various cities/towns, contact info, immigration, etc:
http://www.gov.ns.ca/

2) Is there much employment at present in the telecomms industry in Canada? That I couldn't tell you, best bet is to research some telecomm companies here. I did a quick search and came up with this site:
www.canadait.com/cfm/index.cf...7653&Se=2&Lo=2 (external - login to view)

3) What are the main sports canadians play? Is soccer or rugby popular there? Well not surprisingly hockey rules the winter here, soccer is quite popular. there are always summer baseball leagues. Rugby is up and coming, more popular in the univeristy towns. Halifax has many universities btw.

4) Are canadians friendly towards foreign people living\working in their country or do they feel threatened? I say super-friendly. As a general rule, all of Canada love the irish. Nova Socita is full of people with irish heritage, so we tend to adore folks from one of our motherlands. *grins* ya, you'd be welcome.

5) Is the cost of living high ( e.g. rent , eating out etc ) ? Depends on what you are comparing it to. Halifax has cheaper rent but food is a bit more. Here is a link to NS's main newspaper, you can access its classifieds for a better idea of rental costs:
halifaxherald.com/ (external - login to view)

6) Is the weather at Wintertime extremely harsh ? Again, depends on what you are use to. Halifax is warmer than say Calgary, Toronto or Montreal in the winter, Vancouver is the warmest area. If you do a search online for climates of the cities you are considering they would be able to give you more specifics so you can compare to your local climate.

Cheers and best of luck.
Hope you decide to venture to this side of the pond.