Greatest Canadian?

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
Terry Fox.

His Marathon of Hope is the most selfless act of any Canadian I can think of.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Then you don't know many Canadians, gc. Small town Canada is full of hardworking, community minded individuals who never cease to volunteer their best and press to exceed any target. Terry met some of them on his run.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
I don't think he's number one but I nominate Stanley Knowles for the list. If he stood for anything he stood for decency and honesty in government. He was accorded an honourary seat in the House until the day he died. A rare honour. And he was often there.
We have so much professional riffraff in the country. Mr. Knowles proved that one could be part of the process and still maintain your integrity.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
General Wolfe.....DONT say "oh, but he was british".....he fought for Canada (well british north america), along with General Brock and several others, there would be no Canada without them.

Suprisingly, this is where I agree with a lot of Americas, a few Canadians I know say "oh we can't celebrate our military history because our fighters were all british"...see, I say to this, what my American friend said "come on man, everyone was british them, they fought and died in this foreign land for you"

sine000

Electoral Member
Aug 14, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Re: RE: Greatest Canadian?

Daz_Hockey said:
General Wolfe.....DONT say "oh, but he was british".....he fought for Canada (well british north america), along with General Brock and several others, there would be no Canada without them.

Suprisingly, this is where I agree with a lot of Americas, a few Canadians I know say "oh we can't celebrate our military history because our fighters were all british"...see, I say to this, what my American friend said "come on man, everyone was british them, they fought and died in this foreign land for you"

Yes, Wolfe should be *one* of the greatest Canadian...British citizens who were in Canada should also be one of the greatest canadian...They were the people who settled here...

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006

tamarin said:
Then you don't know many Canadians, gc. Small town Canada is full of hardworking, community minded individuals who never cease to volunteer their best and press to exceed any target. Terry met some of them on his run.

I don't doubt there are many hardworking individuals in small towns (and big cities for that matter). How many of them ran half way across Canada (probably not an easy feat for someone with one leg and Cancer) to raise money for a cure to help others? He must have known that research takes years and that he would not personally benefit from any future cure. I haven't met very many people like that, but if you have then please share their stories with me. I'd love to hear them.

sine000

Electoral Member
Aug 14, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

gc said:
tamarin said:

I don't doubt there are many hardworking individuals in small towns (and big cities for that matter). How many of them ran half way across Canada (probably not an easy feat for someone with one leg and Cancer) to raise money for a cure to help others? He must have known that research takes years and that he would not personally benefit from any future cure. I haven't met very many people like that, but if you have then please share their stories with me. I'd love to hear them.

Yes...there are probably thousands of people who ran across Canada....but he was the one who *stand* out...

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006

sine000 said:
Yes...there are probably thousands of people who ran across Canada....but he was the one who *stand* out...

Yes, Terry Fox is the one who stands out because he was the one who initiated the whole idea. I know that a lot of people ran with him for part of the marathon, but I wonder if anyone ran the entire way with him? Anyone know? Plus, I can only imagine that it's not easy running with one leg. So, Terry fox stands out with good reason.

My number 2 choice, by the way, is Sir Frederick Banting. Perhaps I'm a bit biased being a scientist, but I think finding a 'cure' for diabetes is quite an accomplishment. What I admire most about him, however, is the fact that he made sure Best was recognized for his contributions and even shared the prize money with him. Not only that, but apparently they didn't get a patent on insulin so that it could be easily available & affordable. It just shows that he cared more about curing people than he did about the money.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Little known but great Canadians? There are lots of them and they certainly deserve as much respect and attention as Terry Fox. But their lives lacked the drama and subsequent coverage Terry's received.
Examples:
Harry P: Harry was an icon in our neighbourhood. He raised a family of five kids, convalesced his mother, father and stepfather at his home before they died. He had his head on straight. Other vet dads were getting pinkoed on a Friday or Saturday night but Harry would be planning fishing or camping trips and some neighbourhood kid always got to go along. Harry was the energy behind community barbecues and get togethers. And when winter nights settled down he'd invite all to his home where he entertained us with music along with his wife and kids. He was a master accordionist. Working in advertising, Harry knew everyone. If you needed a job as a teen or young man you went to Harry because he had the connections. And he was no bluffer. He was so well respected that his word for you was good with personnel directors around the city at that time. I got two great jobs when I was a teen just because Harry said- 'Go.' Times changed and by the time Harry was 60 he was worn out. He got brain cancer shortly before he died. He never lost his sense of humour during the time I visited him then. He was marvellous. Vet, father, community leader, role model, catalyst. Harry was wonderful.

EastSideScotian

Stuck in Ontario...bah
Jun 9, 2006
Petawawa Ontario
Their are many Great Canadians, the greatest. Is Tommy Douglas.

He has done alot for Canada, Medicare free helth care. Where would Canada be today with out it. Our Medicare systmes and Tommys Ideas have influanced countries around the world, and also shows a Canadian Idea, that Humanity and people come first. If anyone deserves the title of Greatest Canadian it would be him. Terry Fox is great too, but Tommy makes it possible for Candians with Cancers to get the treatment they need and for minmual if any cost. Thats a great thing in its self. General Wolf he helped complete Upper and Lower Canada, but later down the road, once Canada was created, Tommy made it possible to sustain our Poeple.

http://www.cbc.ca/greatest/top_ten/nominee/douglas-tommy.html

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Tommy Douglas didn't invent medicare

or the health care system. Both were planks in the CCF....later NDP party's platform. What Tommy Douglas did was to get a semblance Medicare going in Saskatchewan. He later introduced a Medicare bill in the house of Commons. T.D. was the spokesman for the NDP party so he got credit for Medicare. I have no problem with that but I think there are greater Canadians.

John A. MacDonald, our first Prime Minister, who was the driving force behind getting the railway built from coast to coast, is my pick for greatest Canadian. The railway made Canada a whole country.

Terry Fox is high up there as well because his "Marathon of Hope" will be raising money for Cancer research as long as the country lasts.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
I've said before, surely it's no co-incedence that quite a few countries created a nationalised health care system for each country almost simultainiously.

where as in the UK we thank Clement Attlee and the post war government, and Canada thanks it's own version, I personally can see this lot in cahoots at the time.

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
Bret Hart.

Arguably the most recognizable Canadian in the world at the height of his wrestling career.

I think he was in the top ten of this contest on CBC last year.

So was Don Cherry, and he is on my top ten list too. Just to piss off CBC more than anything!!

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta

sine000 said:
haha...i personally think athletes shouldnt be on the list....they *didnt commit* anything to canada

Soooooo................Gretzky would NOT be on your list? I mean, hell, I was never an Oiler fan, but even I can recognise that he was great and he was a Canadian.

sine000

Electoral Member
Aug 14, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Well, arguably, he was one of them that should be on the list....im not a Oilers fan too...but he did something great for Canada in sports...(Gold Medal in Salt Lake CIty).....Im not a wresting fan....so i couldnt really comment on what Bret Hart does in the world of Wrestling....