Our Origins Don't Matter

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
During a visit to the Northwest Territories, Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, C.C., C.M.M., C.O.M., C.D., the Governor General of Canada visited Lawrence Heights Middle School today (or yesterday, I suppose, for E.S.T.); during a speech she made there, she mentioned something which was of particular interest to me, and which struck me more than anything else.

[color=#bb0000 said:
Her Excellency The Right Hon. Michaëlle Jean[/color], C.C., C.M.M., C.O.M., C.D.,]In Canada, where you come from is not a barrier to how far you can go. Who your parents are does not decide what you can be.

I know that, in life, you may hear people say "you can’t do it", or "you're not good enough", or "our people never get ahead."

Don't believe it.

Click here to read the entire statement in English.
Cliquetez içi pour lire le communiqué entier en français.
This statement is dead-on, in my opinion; thoughts?

:?: Sources
1. Click here for the Web site of the Governor General of Canada.

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
RE: Our Origins Don't Mat

Five ... What a lovely tribute! Did they make a film of her life or something?

Jean's comments are inspiring. Where we come from makes us who we are, but what we dream -- and do about those dreams -- makes us what we become. Lots of us rise from less than stellar backgrounds and go on to be complete and happy people. It's always so affirming to see others do well.

I think that our character determines all. We can do anything! One of my heros is Viktor Frankl and he said, "The last of the human freedoms is the right to choose our attitude". At the time, he was in a Nazi concentration camp. You might find his "Mans Search for Meaning" inspirational. Here's some info on him ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viktor_Frankl

There's tons of stuff online about Frankl.

Thanks ... that was a nice middle of the night smile for me. :)