(CC) A great land and her name is Canada

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
A great land and her name is Canada
By Jeremy Bradley
Tuesday June 6, 2006

Billions of dollars to fight poverty in Africa. Millions of dollars in sponsorship scandal money. Hundreds of thousands of dollars for Quebec's Canada Day celebrations. But still people in this country go hungry. People in this country are homeless. People in this country can't make it on their own.

Canada has always been viewed as a helpful nation. That's a step up from our neighbours down south. We are not known for bombing and killing people. And I think we can agree that we would like to keep it that way. But through these generous financial contributions from our federal government, perhaps it is their way of trying to make us forget about the problems in our own neighbourhoods and seem as though we really are the good guy in the face of poverty and despair.

The rest on here on CanCon >>

athabaska

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2005
Maybe it's time the negative nabobs just go for it and jump off the 20th floor balcony. Do yourself a favour and don't use a parachute.

On the positive side life is really good here in Alberta. but I'm sure you'll try to convince us that we aren't eally content but should recognize our down-trodden misery.

EastSideScotian

Stuck in Ontario...bah
Jun 9, 2006
Petawawa Ontario
What a fool, Why not go to every Other Western Country, and check out there poverty Stats......Iam sure it will surprise you, and you will see, that yea, we do have poverty and yea some kids dont eat, But the Majority do a Large Majority, and theone who dont eat evryday or live in great houseing usally have a reason behind it.

My mother works for a Non-profit group in Halifax, Called Metro Community Houseing, They are part of a Large orginaztion across Canada that work at fixing the issue......the issue of Poverty and Child Hunger and Houseing. Its something that is evrywhere, not evryone gets a job not evryone wants a job.....we have things in place to try and reel these poeple in and help them....

Its not Nessasarly Canada`s fault peole get in that state int he first place, its usally the poeples Fault for getting themselves there....if someone has no drive, or lets say a medical or mental issue and just dont work or want to work or cant work...its not Canada`s Fault....

People who bitch about realitvly small problems are usally stupid, and sporting someone else opinion...Be Glad you dont live in Africa, or South America, then maybe you could bitch about how bad you`ve got it. What problems we do have we try to fix....be glad we can atleast do that. We dont live in a utopian socity, so dont expect things to be perfect they wont be, but we can try our best to have evrything work well and have a socity that gives peole a chance...So basicly...STFU

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I agree with the author in some length, though.. I mean, we send millions to Africa and other starving countries but places like Toronto are now crawling with homeless who should probably go through rehabilitation and fed, housed.

You live in Nova Scotia, EastSideScotian, and your province gets tons of transfer payments to cover unemployed... but what about big cities where our country is failing to help these people?

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
We had a good plan to clean up the streets of Toronto, but of course the left didn't like it. It's hard to grip about how bad it is in Ontario and all the problems we have and how we need to raise taxes, if we did something about the problem.