A Fellow Canadian seeking perment residence in US.

brenglen

Jun 2, 2006
Hello,

Well I am a Canadian Citzen, Im going to be applying for Perment residence in the U.S. (For school, girlfriend and Work), My mom and my family lives in Canada. Im going to be staying at my Mom's house (In ontario) almost every weekend and I haven't given up my Canadian Citzenship (im not applying for American Citzenship). So the queston is, because I am a Canadian citzen, and I stay at my Mom's house alot, can I still use my Canadian Health Card? I wont be taking it for advanage but just temporary til I can get Health insurance in the States.

P.S. I am going to be moving back to Canada in a few years after School.

Thank you.

thecdn

Electoral Member
Apr 12, 2006
North Lauderdale, FL
Your post is kind of confusing, do you reall know what you are going to be doing?

I am a Canadian living in the US who got his green card in Jan 2005. You don't apply for permanent residence to go to school, you get a visa. The most common ways to get a green card are work or family based.

If you live most of the time in the US, I don't see how you can legally use the Canadian health care system. You don't have to give up Canadian citizenship, ever. Even if my family and I become American citizens in a few years we don't have to give up our Canadian citizenship and never would.

If you know you are moving back to Canada after school that would negate the point of getting a green card as they become void if you are go out of the country too much.

Please stop and take a deep breath and let us know what you want to do and we will try to help you understand the process a bit better.

Toro

Senate Member
RE: A Fellow Canadian see

thecdn is correct in that if you are living in the US for more than 6 months of the year, you are no longer consider a resident of Canada and cannot use your OHIP. However, if you are student, I do not think this applies. I believe as a student, you can still claim residency in Ontario - I think. However, once you decide to stay in the States to work, you are no longer eligible. Its best to ask a lawyer.

To work down here, consider this path, in this order

1. TN visa
2. H visa
3. Green card

thecdn

Electoral Member
Apr 12, 2006
North Lauderdale, FL
Toro is right but note that a TN visa is applicable for only a few occupations and is good for one year. It is a convenient way to get in if you can - I got three before getting my H1B visa, which is good for three years.

Again, please explain your proposed plan a bit better and we will be able to help more. Include your current education and work experience, and what your plans are for school and/or work in the US.

Toro

Senate Member

Yeah, I got a TN then jumped to an H while I was here. The H has been crazy to get, with the quota being filled a day or two after the annual allocation being handed out in October. But I think the new immigration bill increases the slots from 65,000 to 640,000.

thecdn

Electoral Member
Apr 12, 2006
North Lauderdale, FL
Re: RE: A Fellow Canadian see

Toro said:
Yeah, I got a TN then jumped to an H while I was here. The H has been crazy to get, with the quota being filled a day or two after the annual allocation being handed out in October.

I had no problem getting the H back in 2000. Although I know while you are waiting for the process to go through it seems like it is taking forever :)

Toro said:
But I think the new immigration bill increases the slots from 65,000 to 640,000.

Are you sure of that last number? Got a link?

Brenglen, you are welcome to come back to the thread anytime so Toro and I can stop talking to ourselves :D

Toro

Senate Member

I'm not sure what the exact number is, but when I read it, it was staggering. Whether or not that's the number that comes out of committee - if it actually gets signed - is another issue.

I had no problems with the H BTW, but I got it in 1998. I think the quota reverted from 180,000 to 65,000 a year or two after you got yours.

I'm still on mine. My Green Card is still being processed, and will be for at least the next 2 years.

thecdn

Electoral Member
Apr 12, 2006
North Lauderdale, FL
Re: RE: A Fellow Canadian see

Toro said:
I had no problems with the H BTW, but I got it in 1998....I'm still on mine. My Green Card is still being processed, and will be for at least the next 2 years.

Ok, I'm confused now. You got your H in 98? It's good for three years and you can get another three year one for a total of 6. When did you start your green card processing?

Toro

Senate Member

There was a ruling by the INS a few years ago that stated if you apply for the Green Card with more than one year left on your 6 year H term, you can continuously renew your H visa in one year increments until you get the Green Card. That's where I am now. Every year, I get my H renewed.

thecdn

Electoral Member
Apr 12, 2006
North Lauderdale, FL
Took us almost four years exactly from the time we started the process till the time we were approved in Jan 2005. Of course, we just got the actual cards last week :)

Have had to make about a dozen phone calls trying to find out what was taking so long to get them and wrote a letter to the DHS ombudsman.

How do you know it will take 2 more years? Is there something specail about your sitution?

Is brenglen ever coming back to 'his' thread? ;)

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
Most schools in the US require that students--and this especially applies to international students--have health insurance that covers the time they will be in school.

And you will need to get a student visa after you are accepted into a school. You will also need to demonstrate that you have adequate funds to support yourself in school.
You can't normally work on a student visa.

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
thecdn said:
sanch said:
You can't normally work on a student visa.

I work for a community college and there was some talk of a change to allow students to work some but I haven't heard anything about it for awhile now.

International students can work as teaching and research assistants. They can also teach when they are in degree programs. Not sure of anything off campus though and that is what I was referring to.

brenglen

Jun 2, 2006
Sorry about that guys,

Ok, The reason why im filing for Perment Residence cause My GF lives there, Schools are cheaper and I got offered a Cooking Job as well. I am planning on moving back to Canada after school but thats only if I dont find a Job in the States. I am planning on visiting my Mom (who is in Ontario) everyweekend but what if I ever get sick or injuried while being there...can I use my Canadian Health Card?

thanks and sorry about the confusin'

Btw, I am considered "Immident Relative" and they estimate the wating time to get my Card (Interview)...3 to 5 months.

Alex1

Oct 17, 2007
Question regarding living in the US

Hi all,

I am not sure if anyone can help here, but I am a Canadian citizen that has a good job here.
I want to live and work in the US for the rest of my life possibly...:)
but I just cannot figure it out for the love of god...
it seems that one can only move to the US by birth right, marriage or job offer (wihch is very difficult in itself).

but if someone that wishes to simply move and live there by choice, is there any laws that can allow that..it just doesn't make sense if there aren't any.

Please help.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Alex

It's all on the internet for you to read over - and you can call your Canadian Consulate office where you live to ask them what the regulations are for moving to the U.S. Maybe you will have a U.S. Consulate office near as well - depending where you live.

I think they probably want you to have some kind of training so you won't become attached to the welfare system (but that is just a guess). People go there on a temporary basis and choose to stay
but they still have to return and re-enter on a different kind of status.

If you are trained at an occupation and it pays well - are there similar jobs for that work in the U.S. and could you scout yourself a job long distance to see where the jobs are?

Not helping you much but they have changed the laws since I entered as a student, and then had to re-enter when I decided to work in the U.S. but that was years ago.... don't know how they work it now with Homeland Security running the show. Meanwhile apply for your passport right away if you don't have it... takes a while to get.

Alex1

Oct 17, 2007
Reply to Curiosity

Thank you so much Curiosity,

for taking the time replying to my question. However I have afew more...

I understand what your answers, but they donèt seem to quite respond to my main question.

'"How do I (a canadian citizen) that has - no job in the USA
- no american family or wife
- have not been born in the USA
- Is not from a 3rd world country or conflict zone
(which is condition to asylum or refugee)

How do I become a legally live and work in the United States of America indifenitly without havving
to re-enter and re-new a visa of some sort. I should mentiuon that the above pointers are directly form the US immigration web site listed under conditions for US citizenship eligibility and one that I forgot whci is usless to me, yet important to mention forthe sake of our conversation, the last condition is if one is a millionaire or wealthy businessman then of course obtaining US citizenship is walk im the park.

I have to be honset I have nbot contacted conatcted the US embassy here in Ottawa since the info posted on the US immigration website is pretty straighforward not to mention the embassy doesnèt reply to anyone that easily.

I had contacted a US law firm based in NY (NYC) and they all want to make money as they see everyone with a sign ''Sucker'' on their forhead.

You had mentioned that job hunt would not be a bad idea, I agree but no employer would be willing to hire a non-american and neiter are they willing to provide any type of letters/document which could help me to obtain a green card or citizenship. For the simple reason that too many dishonest people have abused of this avenue. So I am helpless and I really am crying fro help people.
anyone that can help is welocmed to reply

no color

Electoral Member
May 20, 2007
1967 World's Fair
Thank you so much Curiosity,

for taking the time replying to my question. However I have afew more...

I understand what your answers, but they donèt seem to quite respond to my main question.

'"How do I (a canadian citizen) that has - no job in the USA
- no american family or wife
- have not been born in the USA
- Is not from a 3rd world country or conflict zone
(which is condition to asylum or refugee)

Here's One possibility: Enroll in a US medical school to study and graduate. You will be allowed to apply for a green card based on your medical degree from a US institution.