Tribute to Those Four Lost

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Today, in the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan, we were impacted by another great loss to this nation and its people, at the death of four members of the Canadian Forces, doing their duty in such an honourable fashion abroad. Despite it being posthumous, I think that it would be appropriate to thank Corporal Matthew Dinning, Bombardier Myles Mansell, Lieutenant William Turner, and another soldier who is not going to be named at the request of his loved ones, for their tireless devotion to Canada, its own security, and the safety of the free world. I would extend this gratitude to each and every member of our armed forces — every one of you, who musters the courage to serve Canada abroad, deserves our utmost respect. My sincere condolences go out to those who have been affected by this untimely tragedy.

Even where we do not agree with the circumstances under which the members of our Forces are sent abroad, we should remember, at all times, that the members of our Forces serve to protect us, and we should never disrespect that sentiment. It's one thing to criticize a mission, an intervention, or a strategy — however, it is quite a separate (and in my opinion, inappropriate) thing to criticize the conduct and character of the members themselves. I would hope that members of Canadian Content would keep this in mind in future debates and discussions to that end.

In addition to my own thoughts on this subject, I thought that it may be appropriate to post the sentiment expressed by major public figures. I have included statements from Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, C.C., C.M.M., C.O.M., C.D., the Commander-in-Chief in and over Canada, the Right Honourable Stephen Harper, P.C., M.P., the Member for Calgary Southwest and the Prime Minister of Canada, and the Honourable Bill Graham, P.C., M.P., the Member for Toronto Centre and the Leader of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition. Neither the leaders of the Bloc Québécois, nor the New Democratic Party of Canada have published any statements to this end.

[color=#bb0000 said:
Her Excellency the Rt. Hon. Michaëlle Jean[/color], C.C., C.M.M., C.O.M., C.D.,]They went to Afghanistan hoping to make a difference, and in this they succeeded, helping to improve the lives of its citizens. Our women and men in uniform have suffered an immense loss today, and yet, I know they will forge ahead and continue their valuable work, bringing peace to a troubled land.

Click here to read the entire statement in English.
Cliquetez içi pour lire le communiqué entier en français.
The [color=blue said:
Rt. Hon. Stephen Harper[/color], P.C., M.P.,]These men were working to bring security, democracy, self-sufficiency and prosperity to the Afghan people and to protect Canadians' national and collective security. We will not forget their selfless contribution to Canada.

The [color=red said:
Hon. Bill Graham[/color], P.C., M.P.,]I speak not only for our party but all Canadians when I say that we greatly appreciate all the hard work and sacrifice that our men and women in the Canadian Forces undertake on our behalf everyday. These men and women put their lives on the line to provide us with a safe and secure world.

:?: Les Sources
1. Cliquetez içi pour le site Web de la Gouverneure-générale du Canada.
2. Cliquetez içi pour le site Web du Parti conservateur du Canada.
3. Cliquetez içi pour le site Web du Parti libéral du Canada.

Lineman

No sparks please
Feb 27, 2006
Winnipeg, Manitoba
- "If there is in Canada to-day one portion of its citizenry which more than any other is entitled to consideration, it is the men who risked their lives in battle and those who shared with them the dangers and privations of war." William Lyon Mackenzie King

Rest in peace

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006
RE: Tribute to Those Four

My deepest condolences go out to the families of the fallen soldiers.

May they rest in peace.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
I will probably be attending the funeral of Bombardier Myles Mansell since he was apart of 5th Field regiment that has a unit in Victoria and one in Nanaimo just like we have our unit in Victoria and Nanaimo.

It's sad its hit so close to home, and it makes me worry about the other guys over there from the units.

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Gilles Duceppe, M.P., the Member for Laurier—Sainte-Marie and the Leader of the Bloc Québécois, today released a statement in relation to the mission in Afghanistan; he commended their efforts to restore peace and justice in the regions.

[color=#558888 said:
Bloc Québécois[/color], M.P.,]Cet attentat nous rappelle une fois encore les périls et les conditions difficiles auxquels sont exposés les militaires et les représentants diplomatiques qui oeuvrent en Afghanistan avec l'objectif de rétablir la paix, la justice sociale et la démocratie. À cet effet, j'émets le vœu que leurs sacrifices n'aient pas été vains.

This article is not available in English at this time.
:?: Sources
1. Click here for the Web site of the Bloc Québécois.