Free holidays vs. fixed holidays?

Would you prefer the government set holidays for you, or that you should choose your own?

• I want to choose my own.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The currently selected legal holidays ought to remain.

• Other option.

• Total voters

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
If you had to choose, would you prefer having the government select specific holidays (Easter, Christmas, etc.) for us to celebrate, or simply scrap the two and require employers to give staff two additional days off each year, which the staff emmber could negotiate with the employer?

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I couldn't care less. Since I work in health care, I seldom get the actual holidays off anyways. I've had one Christmas off in the last 4 years.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Re: RE: Free holidays vs. fixed holidays?

tracy said:
I couldn't care less. Since I work in health care, I seldom get the actual holidays off anyways. I've had one Christmas off in the last 4 years.

Health care is an essential service, so that's a choice you make for yourself. And I suppose the salary is commensurate with the disadvantage of not having your hoilidays. So I'm primarily referring to those who do not work in essential services.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Yep my choice, and I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining since I generally like working holidays. I'm working Easter Sunday and have my rabbit ears ready:) I don't get paid any extra, but the regular staff does. The families are usually especially nice to us nurses on holidays too.

I think everyone should get to choose which option they prefer, as long as it doesn't cause a burden to the employer.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Re: RE: Free holidays vs. fixed holidays?

tracy said:
Yep my choice, and I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining since I generally like working holidays. I'm working Easter Sunday and have my rabbit ears ready:) I don't get paid any extra, but the regular staff does. The families are usually especially nice to us nurses on holidays too.

I think everyone should get to choose which option they prefer, as long as it doesn't cause a burden to the employer.

Good point. And free holidays would probably be easier on the employer too anyway. From my experience when I used to work in the tourism industry, whenever I'd volunteer to work on statutory holidays and then ask for my own personal days off, I'd always see the biggest grin on their faces! They hate to ask someone to work on Christmas (after all, they're human too and know Christians really want that day off), so when someone volunteers for it, it's just one less person they have to ask to work! And as for my own days off, I always got them off! After all, they don't want to lose a staff member who makes their holidays easier.

So if we scrapped the statutory holidays, employers would no longer need to pay overtime, and the rest of us could get our days off (essential services aside of course, but as you mentionned that is a choise as well). And I'm happy you enjoy your work as I enjoy mine. Some think of us as nuts! Who likes work anyway.

Hey, if I don't enjoy my work, then I'm in the wrong job! :wink: