5.2 tons of maple syrup

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
sports | mytelus
Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006

Sweet reward for Norwegian coach who helped Albertan Olympian

OSLO, Norway (CP) - Bjoernar Haakensmoen's act of sportsmanship was rewarded Wednesday - with more than five tons of Canadian maple syrup.

At the Turin Olympics, the Norwegian cross-country ski coach handed Sara Renner a spare ski pole after the Canadian broke one during the Nordic ski sprint relay final. Renner went on to win a silver medal while the Norwegians finished fourth.

"It was natural for me to do it, and I think anyone should have done it," Haakensmoen told The Associated Press. "I didn't think about it. It was just a reflex . . . but the response has been unbelievable."

After the Olympics, Haakensmoen became famous in Canada, and grateful fans started Project Maple Syrup. Canadians were asked to make donations or bring their own cans of maple syrup to one of 300 participating Bell Canada phone stores.

The result: 7,400 cans were purchased and sent to Norway, the Canadian embassy in Oslo said in a statement.

Notebooks: Free Shipping on Notebooks

The 5.2 tons of maple syrup was given to Haakensmoen at a ceremony Wednesday.

"In the eyes of Canadians, we took a silver medal, but Norway has won gold for sportsmanship," Geoff Snow, of Waterford, Ont., wrote in an e-mail to the Oslo newspaper Aftenposten.

Haakensmoen said he was stunned by the response.

Hotels.ca - Find the Best Hotel Deals

"When you get this kind of response it is, well, just enormous," said Haakensmoen, who recently stepped down as sports director for the Norwegian skiers.

Norway and Canada agreed to waive any import duties, which might have made the tons of syrup too expensive for Haakensmoen to accept.

Maple syrup is little known in Norway, and the 37-year-old Haakensmoen said he recently tasted it for the first time.

"It's sweet, and a little unusual," he said. "We might have it from time to time, but not five times a day."

Even the Norwegian ambassador in Ottawa thought it was a great idea to send the pancake topper to his country.

"It is not a common product in Norway . . . perhaps it's the best thing you can send to Norwegians," Tor Naess said.

Naess received more than 400 e-mails from Canadians expressing their thanks for the ski pole.

"I am surprised, for a Norwegian it was quite natural to hand over the pole, like we did there," Naess said. "What is surprising is that we have so much positive reaction on the Canadia

Are we morally superior or what? :lol:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I watched this race.

The Canadian girl broke a ski pole in the last part of the race. She would have been out of the medals if the Norwegian coach had not handed our skier a spare pole. It was suggested that we send that coach some maple syrup as a reward. We sent that coach 5.2 tons of maple syrup.

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
RE: 5.2 tons of maple sy

five TONS tho, WOW, that is a pretty large amount of syrup...

The whole story is a good one, but I can't even wrap my head around what a person would DO with FIVE TONS of syrup... it just hurts my brain

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Let me see..

4727 kilograms at a retail price of about twelve dollars a kilogram would be $56,724.00. A healthy chunk of change anywhere.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
He could start a Maple Syrup buissness over there with that kind of money....