Core/Peripheral Model

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Still relevant within the study of Canadian geography?

I think it is as it makes clear distinctions between the economic and power structures between east and west - the heatleand/hinterland, haves/have nots.

Any thoughts opinions?

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
If you are talking about the development of underdevelopment I can see the application of the framework on multiple levels in North America. Basically the core in its drive to develop the periphery contributes to further underdevelopment and inequitable access to resources. Of course all of this is done in the name of progress. Is this what you are referring to? If so I was thrown off by the use of geography.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
sanch said:
If you are talking about the development of underdevelopment I can see the application of the framework on multiple levels in North America. Basically the core in its drive to develop the periphery contributes to further underdevelopment and inequitable access to resources. Of course all of this is done in the name of progress. Is this what you are referring to? If so I was thrown off by the use of geography.

Yes it that was what I was refering too and I think it's very relevant to the study of people and spaces. Although the model really only measures success and failures, it provides a good starting point in order to examine how things are set up in Canada. Why the core is the core and that sort of thing.

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
I guess to identify the core and how it perpetuates itself within the Canadian social structure one could start with John Turner’s The Vertical Mosaic. That would be the historical view

The next question might be how has the core adapted to the scrutiny placed on it by the publication of Walter Clement’s book The Canadian Corporate Elite. Clement identified the mechanism of interlocking directorships the core used to consolidate power. If you look at some of the work being done by academics in Canada you will see that they are still looking at interlocking directorships. If the frequency of interlocking directorships is increasing this is correlated with greater concentrations of power and influence in the core as an example. Of course this assumes that the core would not look for other means to perpetuate itself, methods that had as of yet not been identified so publicly.

So what constitutes the Canadian core and how do they largely escape public scrutiny?

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
sanch said:
I guess to identify the core and how it perpetuates itself within the Canadian social structure one could start with John Turner’s The Vertical Mosaic. That would be the historical view

The next question might be how has the core adapted to the scrutiny placed on it by the publication of Walter Clement’s book The Canadian Corporate Elite. Clement identified the mechanism of interlocking directorships the core used to consolidate power. If you look at some of the work being done by academics in Canada you will see that they are still looking at interlocking directorships. If the frequency of interlocking directorships is increasing this is correlated with greater concentrations of power and influence in the core as an example. Of course this assumes that the core would not look for other means to perpetuate itself, methods that had as of yet not been identified so publicly.

Inner colonialism, interesting concept.

I think the periphery has a chance to move away from the core with their increased entery into global markets. Of course, for the most part, diversification is what is lacking, although global competition might give them some more barganing leverage. Their economic activities away from the core and regional sub-cores aren't taken into account when making such distinctions, I think the model creates a bit of bias in doing that.

So what constitutes the Canadian core and how do they largely escape public scrutiny?

The core - or Golden Triangle stretches from approx the Ottawa area, down through Toronto, Windor through to Quebec city (St. Lawrence-Great Lakes region). The area has the best climate, soil conditions and access to American markets (arguably) in Canada.

I'm not really sure how they escape public scrutiny, maybe because people don't look at regional economies that way? Just a guess.