Cookie Cutter Canada

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Greetings from Canada. I'm back for a few weeks, in Orleans, asuburb of Ottawa, to visit family.

Ottawa is beautifu, greener and cleaner than any Chinese city I've seen thus far; then again, the same goeas for every canadian city I've seen when compared to any Chinese city I've seen (I've seen at least 17 Canadian cities in four provinces I can think of off the top of my head, and 8 Chinese ones in 5 provinces). But then, I suppose that's to be expected, considering the comparative level of development in the two countries.

What I'd forgotten about, though, is the suburban sprawl my parents love to live in (God knows why :? ).

In China, even when I find myself in a new city, I can usually find my way around within a few days, because there are distinguishing features everywhere, even in the 'suburbs' (for lack of a better word). It might be that there's a bicycle shop, or a restaurant, or a supermarket, a police station, school, park, or at least something on nearly every street there is which can be used as a reference point when finding ones way. And even if I do get lost, I only need to ask where the reference point is, and certainly someone will know!

Here in Orleans, it's a whole other ball game. I got lost trying to find my parents home the first day, and wasn't even sure if I was in the right neighbourhood, 'cause every house and street and car and... person, really,.. just all looked the same! Well, as it turned out, I was lucky; I was in the right neighbourhood as I'd found out once I'd found the house. But anyway, I'd ask the locals where my parent's street is, and people living just a block away had never heard of it.

I tried looking for some distinguishing feature. Hmm... That house has a Canadian flag... oh, but so does that one and that one and that one... hmm... That house is a duplex... Oh, but so is that one and that one and that one.... Hmmm... this house is brown... and so is... you get the picture...

I even tried to look for movable reference points. Seems there are only so many colour patterns for cars around these parts, and even the design looks the same for most cars. Every time I saw a red car go by, it looked like my parents'. It was driving me insane!

I'd walked at least twenty minutes, maybe even thirty, in a straight line trying to find my street, just to see nothing but houses... oh, sorry, there was a school!... but to no avail. If I should do the same in China, I'd certainly come across at least on of each of the following: apartment buildings, school, myriad kinds of shops, restaurants, office buildings, and that would be in the more homogenously residential neighbourhoods!

Well, to go along with the story, I finally fond the fire station (certainly they'd know!). Lisbon Street? Never heard of it. So he looks on the map, staring at a maze of look alike streets swirling around with not one distinguishing feature going for well over a kilometre, and finally finds it, gives the instructions, and I finally find my way home.

I've lost my way in this maze twice already in the last few days in Canada, and still don't know the neighbourhood yet. One wrong turn, and I'm lost!

Man, can't we try, just try, to be a little more original sometimes!

Do you live in a cookie cutter neighbourhood?

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Except for the big shopping centres out in East Saint john,most of our city is of varied architecture..the uptown has a distinct victorian look to it and even over on my side of the river,there are many houses over 100 years old [and in great condition,too]

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Every house in my neighbourhood is quite different until you get to the ones built in the 1970's. Those all look the same. Then when you come to 1990's monster yuppie houses, those all look the same.

I once built a gazebo in a neighbourhood where every house was exactly the same though....Duplex after identical duplex, salmon stucco with white trim, no fences allowed. Even the trees were the same and they were planted at identical intervals.

They had a bunch of rules to keep it the same too. These people could not, according to the rules, personalize the fronts of their properties. They were allowed one 10x10 shed or gazebo in the back, but could not put it on a permanent concrete pad.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
Yeah, most of Charlottetown isn't what you would call cookie cutter. Which is a blessing for me since I still know shi* about street names and use landmarks to get around.

LaoWai

May 31, 2005
Hefei PRC
Canadian communities are bland wastelands.

Especially all those suburban nightmares ringing the major cities.

The house-builders go in, cut down all the trees, and then build houses which look all the same.

For the next 15 years those neigbourhoods are devoid of any mature trees or character.

Laika

Electoral Member
Apr 22, 2005
Where The Wild Things Are
I live in a beautiful, diverse, inner-city neighbourhood with lots of character and charm. There are buildings that span the eras of the last century and access to riverside bike paths that will take you almost everywhere in the city. Most amenities are within walking distance; great restaurants, pubs, delis, bakeries, farmer's market, flea market, recreation facilities, interesting shops, galleries, and schools are all within a few blocks of my front door.

We have our share of suburban wasteland around here, but I love our cozy little 'hood. :) It's just a matter of personal preference and affordability.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
LaoWai said:

Especially all those suburban nightmares ringing the major cities.

The house-builders go in, cut down all the trees, and then build houses which look all the same.

For the next 15 years those neigbourhoods are devoid of any mature trees or character.

Mr. Mom, in reference to our conversation in another thread, is this an example? I have to say that I have seen a good number of these 'suburban nightmares' of which he speaks. It happens far too often, and although there are exceptions I would go so far as to say developers in Canada are destroying the lay of the land, often even to the point of degrading the land, making it susceptible to slides for lack of trees.

Coming over the Port Mann bridge into Vancouver, there is a famous (infamous?) hillside of cookie cutter houses on the right up a hill a ways, with nary a tree amongst them. That is a sin anywhere, but in green, tree-rich Vancouver? Many times the sin, in fact, it's a freakin' sacrilege.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now

That would depend on where you are. The further out west you go the "newer" the layout & architecture becomes. Starting in the maritimes there's about 500 years of inhabitation and community building, wheras in Alberta and BC, any large urban area has only been set up a little more than a century ago. On PEI here, there are many many homes that are unique, since they are predominantly Victorian in Architecture....Go to Edmonton and everything's built like it's on a grid.

I would suggest before you give a title to something, try find what makes the country as a whole, not just a fraction.

I've never been to China, but I am to assume there's a significant difference in Urban layout, since things have been built up for more than 2000 years. I bet there's much to see with the contrasts of old & new.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
mrmom2 said:
Hey i'm not the only one who took offense at this guy he ruffled the Revs feathers too in another post :?

:D And I'm not trying to pick on you about it, Mr. Mom. Sorry if it seems that way! I just like having conversations with you, is all. Sure, I'm sure he has ruffled feathers, some of the more interesting people do just that. Gets one thinking, though, even if it is just to come up with a scathing response, and this is a good thing.

Laika

Electoral Member
Apr 22, 2005
Where The Wild Things Are
Speaking of China, is it true that all the houses there have white walls with red roofs?

I worked briefly for a home building company and without exception all the clients of Chinese descent wanted white stucco exteriors with red tile roofs. I often wondered about the significance of that particular preference.