Can a US felon enter Canada

trewmuzik

Jun 8, 2005
I went to Vancouver back in 02 and absolutely loved it. In fact I cried all the way back to the states. A few months later a friend and I were drinking at his house. I woke up and I was in the hospital. Apparently, I decided to drive us back to my house and we were in a car accident. He didn't survive. I was convicted of intoxication manslaughter.

My goal in life is to find my way back to Vancouver and stay there for the remainder of my life. Does anyone know if this is possible?

I've been told by many different people that I cannot ever set foot on Canadian soil. I've also been told by some that I can enter if I pay the Canadian government a sum of money.

I just want to know the truth and would greatly appreciate someone enlightening me with what is real among all these US misconceptions.

Thanks in advance,
damien

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
RE: Can a US felon enter

I would contact a lawyer who deals with Canadian immigration. I do not believe we have the crime of intoxicated Manslaughter in Canada therefore it may no be a considered crime as far as this country is concerned...

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I would imagine that It would be considered first degree murder here.

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
RE: Can a US felon enter

nope, if in Canada you were in a Car crash and your passenger died you would not be criminally responsible fore his death unless it could be proven that you intentionally tried to kill him. You could sue him in Civil court and have a good chance of winning but thats about it.

The only case I've ever seem charges brought up is when the drunk driver have minors with him and they died since he was in charge of their saftey.. you are less responsible for you actions in Canada then in the U.S.