Myths about Canada

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
We live in igloos. We live in houses, and they are very well built houses.

Canadians do not have the same technology as Americans. Canadians have access to the
same technology as Americans and the rest of the civilized world.

There is snow everywhere all year long. Anyone who has spent a summer in Vancouver,
Toronto, or Montreal will strongly disagree with this.

We don't get the same movies Americans do. We get the same movies, on the same day,
and our censorship is less severe. Furthermore, the Paramount theater in Montreal is
the most attended and most lucrative movie theater in North-America.

Canada does not have a film industry. We have a thriving film industry, and many of the
syndicated US TV shows, not to mention major studio motion pictures are filmed here. Canada is
renowned to have some of the best production crews in the world.

Canadians all say "eh" and "aboot". Sure, some of us do, but Canada is a big country with
many different people who speak many different languages with different dialects.

Everyone in Quebec speaks French. Although a large percentage of the Province's
population is Francophone, there is also a large number of Anglophones and Allophones.

Canadians have fewer guns than Americans. Canadians have just as many, if not more; we just
have fewer murders. If you want stats and figures, see Michael Moore's excellent documentary, Bowling for Columbine.

Canada's national sport is Hockey. Not completely true. While Hockey is very popular, and considered
our national pastime, our national sport is Lacrosse. Oh, and we invented Baseball too.

In 1994, the Federal Government introduced Bill C-212 that officially made Hockey Canada’s National Winter Sport and Lacrosse Canada’s National Summer Sport. Thanks Rolly! So the answer is both!

Canadians policemen are all Mounties dressed in red uniforms. Our cops are the same
as American cops. The Mounties usually only dress up in red for for special occasions.

(thanks to canadians.ca)

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
These are especially good if you're on vacation in the United States for a while. Well, me, I always meet new people and make friends easily. But a lot of Americans really have the strangest ideas about Canada.

I just use some of the ideas on Rick Mercer's Talking to Americans show and stuff I read on the Internet. It's also fun to play along with their preconceptions.

One thing I always get a "Wow, I didnt know they could do that" is when I tell people we have a subway system powered by sleddogs ;) :lol:

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
There has been some discussion as to where and when baseball was invented. Apparently there was a similar game played in Canada at one time and Abner Doubleday may have gotten the idea from that, or possibly he was visiting or living in Canada when he came up with the idea (I can't remember which).

Most of the evidence supports Doubleday inventing the game though, and he undoubtedly favoured it being an American game, so I think we should go with that.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Canada's national sport is Hockey. Not completely true. While Hockey is very popular, and considered
our national pastime, our national sport is Lacrosse. Oh, and we invented Baseball too.

FYI:

Baseball, like the United States, evolved out of a British precedent into a unique and independent institution. The origin of American baseball lies in an informal offshoot of the English sport of cricket called "rounders," played in the Colonies as early as the mid-18th century. The game was already called "base-ball" in a children's book of 1744. Essentially, a batter had to hit a pitched ball and then run the bases (from one to five of them) without being tagged or "plugged"---hit by a ball thrown by one of the fielders.

A special Commission of 1907 concluded that baseball had been "invented" by the Civil War hero Abner Doubleday (1819-1893), in Cooperstown, New York, in 1839. But it was actually Alexander Joy Cartwright (1820-1892) of New York who established the modern baseball field (1845). In Cartwright's rules of play, however, plugging was allowed; a ball fielded on one bounce was an out; pitching was underhand; and the game was won by the first team to score 21 "aces" (runs), in however many innings.

By this time, baseball had become a leisure activity for wealthy young men. But later, after Civil War soldiers who had played baseball behind the lines brought the game back to their hometowns, baseball was both watched and played by Americans of every social status.

Baseball was institutionalized and further developed by the National Association in 1858. The Cincinnati Red Stockings became the first all-professional team in 1869. The rival National (1876) and American (1903) Leagues competed in the first World Series in 1903 and All-Star Game in 1933. In 1947, the Brooklyn Dodgers signed Jackie Robinson, removing the color barrier that had consigned black players to the "Negro Leagues."

1845: Alexander Cartwright published a set of baseball rules for the Knickerbocker Club of New York, and his rules were widely adopted.
1869: The Cincinnati Red Stockings became the first openly-salaried team and are thus considered the first professional team.
1871: The first professional baseball league, the National Association of Professional Base Ball Players, was established.
1876: The first major league, the National League, was formed.
1878: Frederick Winthrop Thayer of Massachusetts (captain of the Harvard University Baseball Club) received a patent for a baseball catcher's mask on February 12.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
You aren't really Bill "The Spaceman" Lee are you, I think not? If you are, I'm eagerly awaiting your next book. ;-)

Thanks for the history lesson. What was Doubleday's connection to Canada? I know he had one, I'm just not sure what it is.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
It is my understanding that Doubleday visited Canada very frequently, although I never really had a drink with the man so I can't say for sure. :lol:

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Ah, so you still might be Bill Lee. We used to light a joint whenever he took the mound...kind of an homage to him. Then they fired him for talking back.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Re: RE: Myths about Canada

Reverend Blair said:
Ah, so you still might be Bill Lee. We used to light a joint whenever he took the mound...kind of an homage to him. Then they fired him for talking back.

Ugh a Red Sox fan. Those dam Bostonians had to get rid of the dam curse!!!!

Sorry but living in New Yawk I go for the Yankees

:wav:

But that joint doesn't sound too shabby :lol:

Canucklehead

Apr 6, 2005
Andem said:
Canadians all say "eh" and "aboot". Sure, some of us do, but Canada is a big country with
many different people who speak many different languages with different dialects.

Canadians have fewer guns than Americans. Canadians have just as many, if not more; we just
have fewer murders. If you want stats and figures, see Michael Moore's excellent documentary, Bowling for Columbine.

I've read in a number of places that the 'aboot' pronunciation is mainly limited to the Ottawa Valley area of the country, must have something to do with being so close to politicians all the time :lol:

I am pretty sure we have more guns per capita than the U.S. but the difference, and it's a big one, is that ours are mainly hunting rifles and used for that purpose, not handguns.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Ugh a Red Sox fan. Those dam Bostonians had to get rid of the dam curse!!!!

Sorry but living in New Yawk I go for the Yankees

An Expos fan, actually. When I was a kid we used to drive to Montreal and watch them play in Gerry Field. That was before Bill Lee though, but the time he was in Montreal they were in the Big O, believe.

I haven't watched a big league game since the strike that robbed the Expos of the World Series either.

Aizlynne

Apr 14, 2005
Calgary, AB
Here is a Michael Moore myth to dispel. Canadians actually lock their doors at night... contrary to what his movie says.

I did like the fact though that he empowered those children to persist and hold companies accountable for the things that they do for the sake of making a buck. That's one of the reasons I don't shop at Walmart... they make a buck off of sweat labour in India and the Phillipines in order for you save $0.50. I say no thanks.

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net

Aizlynne said:
I did like the fact though that he empowered those children to persist and hold companies accountable for the things that they do for the sake of making a buck. That's one of the reasons I don't shop at Walmart... they make a buck off of sweat labour in India and the Phillipines in order for you save $0.50. I say no thanks.

Wow Aizlynne... 8O

...and here I took you for a conservative...I guess that just goes to show that things are not always as they seem... 8)

Aizlynne

Apr 14, 2005
Calgary, AB

Vanni Fucci said:
Aizlynne said:

Wow Aizlynne... 8O

...and here I took you for a conservative...I guess that just goes to show that things are not always as they seem... 8)

I am not conservative nor liberal. Not a capitalist nor a industrialist. I just try my best to keep an open mind and treat others as I would like to be treated. But some things get my goat... like the crooks at Walmart :D

Cheers

whicker

Electoral Member
Feb 20, 2005
Ontario
Andem said:

And some are even made of straw

Canadians do not have the same technology as Americans. Canadians have access to the

Some of our technology is better

SECONDGEN

Electoral Member
Jun 7, 2005
Near the Rockies
Andem said:

There is snow everywhere all year long. Anyone who has spent a summer in Vancouver,
Toronto, or Montreal will strongly disagree with this.

We don't get the same movies Americans do. We get the same movies, on the same day,
and our censorship is less severe. Furthermore, the Paramount theater in Montreal is
the most attended and most lucrative movie theater in North-America.

Canada does not have a film industry. We have a thriving film industry, and many of the
syndicated US TV shows, not to mention major studio motion pictures are filmed here. Canada is
renowned to have some of the best production crews in the world.

Everyone in Quebec speaks French. Although a large percentage of the Province's
population is Francophone, there is also a large number of Anglophones and Allophones.

In 1994, the Federal Government introduced Bill C-212 that officially made Hockey Canada’s National Winter Sport and Lacrosse Canada’s National Summer Sport. Thanks Rolly! So the answer is both!

Canadians policemen are all Mounties dressed in red uniforms. Our cops are the same
as American cops. The Mounties usually only dress up in red for for special occasions.

(thanks to canadians.ca)

And....no us Canadians DON'T know your best friend Roy's cousin John from Toronto, we aren't that "small town".