ZED not ZEE...

Lithp

Electoral Member
Mar 16, 2005
colour not color
Neighbour not neighbor
honour not honor
zed not zee
lieutenant is pronounced "left-tenant" ( I know why...do you?)

As a Canadian do you adhere to the above Canadianisms?

Munkustrap

Nominee Member
Mar 3, 2005
Ottawa
All those you listed, yes. Though one thing I refrain from saying is scheduale (sheduale). I pronounce that (skeduale). There is also caramel (carmel), again I go with the caramel (care-a-mel). Proper pronunciation is slowly changing.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I pretty much follow all of the above, including what Munkustrap mentioned. I have never even thought of the word carmel.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
There's also the pronunciation of Toyota Celica.

I say it Se-leek-a

I've heard US commercials pronounce it -Sel- ica

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
There's also the pronunciation of Toyota Celica.

I say it Se-leek-a

I've heard US commercials pronounce it -Sel- ica

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
You know for two countries being so close, the "slang" is a little diferent.:) We use British measurements (like b4 metric we had a bigger gallon, quart, pint etc) and we spell like the British with the letter "u" in a lot of words ie. Valour, odour,honour etc. I guess that is a "small"part of what makes us "diferent" than the Americans.

Munkustrap

Nominee Member
Mar 3, 2005
Ottawa
A term my friends like to nail me on is when I say laundry machine. It seems like no one I knows calls the machine that washes your clothes (aka washing machine) a laundry machine. Please tell there is someone else out there who says the same as I.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
I say washing machine. But I do say "I am doing my laundry" or "I am going to the Laundry mat".

ha ha I guess that does not really help.

I think being so close to the big media giant we are slowly converting to American "slang" for a few things.

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
Re: RE: ZED not ZEE...

Col Man said:
reminds me of that old song....
you say to-may-toe..
i say to-ma-to..
i say po-tay-toe
you say po-tar-toe....
:)

:lol: I know the song, Col Man, but I don't know anybody who says "po-tar-toe" :?

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
A term my friends like to nail me on is when I say laundry machine. It seems like no one I knows calls the machine that washes your clothes (aka washing machine) a laundry machine. Please tell there is someone else out there who says the same as I.

I usually call it a washing machine, but what I get caught on is the dish washer, becuse usually revert to washing machine at times. :oops:

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
Americans also say soda and not pop, they say bathroom, we say washroom . Where we say "You're welcome" in response to a thank-you, Americans give you a "uh huh"

Andygal

Electoral Member
May 13, 2005
BC
The only problem with saying "zed" is that then the alphabet song doesn't rhyme properly.

but I always write "colour", and "honour", I make a point of it.

And its "labour" , not "labor"

GreenGreta

Electoral Member
Jun 5, 2005
Lala Land
I remember saying to an American "I'm sorry?" instead of "what?". They truly didn't get the politeness, finally I had to go "huh" so they would finally realize I didn't hear them.

But all the others, yes I comply.