Pot Tax worth 2$Billion

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Pot Tax worth 2$ Billion

VANCOUVER -- The federal government should decriminalize marijuana and tax the revenue, says a report released yesterday by the usually conservative Fraser Institute. Conservative estimates show the government stands to reap an estimated $2 billion in potential revenues annually into its coffers, said Steve Easton, a Simon Fraser University prof.

The benefits of legalizing are that organized crime would be shut out and those harmed by marijuana could get treatment instead of going to jail, Easton argued.

By the Canadian Press

BudBuddy

Feb 3, 2005
angelfire.com
Andem said:
Conservative estimates show the government stands to reap an estimated $2 billion in potential revenues annually into its coffers

I'd say it could be a lot more than this. Legal pot would also produce many spin-off industries which would create employment and generate further sales tax and income taxes.

The thousands of cafes that would sell pot across Canada would also sell food and drinks, pay rent and pay taxes.

Tourism would increase as people came to Canada from the US and around the world to enjoy our legal marijuana environment.

There would also be a huge savings to Canada's medical system as people were able to use cheaper and more effective cannabis-based medicines instead of expensive pharmaceuticals.

Legalized pot would also free up Canada's hemp industry which is currently held back with overregulation and red tape.

And of course there would be substantial ongoing savings in policing costs, court costs, jailing costs, and all the other many expenses associated with fighting Canada's pointless and destructive War on Drugs, which is almost entirely a war on marijuana.

BudBuddy

Feb 3, 2005
angelfire.com
Andem said:
Conservative estimates show the government stands to reap an estimated $2 billion in potential revenues annually into its coffers

I'd say it could be a lot more than this. Legal pot would also produce many spin-off industries which would create employment and generate further sales tax and income taxes.

The thousands of cafes that would sell pot across Canada would also sell food and drinks, pay rent and pay taxes.

Tourism would increase as people came to Canada from the US and around the world to enjoy our legal marijuana environment.

There would also be a huge savings to Canada's medical system as people were able to use cheaper and more effective cannabis-based medicines instead of expensive pharmaceuticals.

Legalized pot would also free up Canada's hemp industry which is currently held back with overregulation and red tape.

And of course there would be substantial ongoing savings in policing costs, court costs, jailing costs, and all the other many expenses associated with fighting Canada's pointless and destructive War on Drugs, which is almost entirely a war on marijuana.

BudBuddy

Feb 3, 2005
angelfire.com
Andem said:

zenfisher

House Member
Sep 12, 2004
Seattle
Not to mention the reduction in spending. Police could be diverted to more violent and important activities. The costs from pot stings would be a large savings.

The reduction in the amount of prisoners would create an immense spending reduction. This would also make safer prisons for both guards and prisoners.

Would there be GST on dope as well? I think the number would be closer to 3-4 billion.

zenfisher

House Member
Sep 12, 2004
Seattle
Not to mention the reduction in spending. Police could be diverted to more violent and important activities. The costs from pot stings would be a large savings.

The reduction in the amount of prisoners would create an immense spending reduction. This would also make safer prisons for both guards and prisoners.

Would there be GST on dope as well? I think the number would be closer to 3-4 billion.

zenfisher

House Member
Sep 12, 2004
Seattle

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Anyone have any info on when this would be put to Parliament? If ever...

Full legalisation? Sometime after the US begins to modernize and normalize their laws. Likely with the next Democratic president's second term.

Police could be diverted to more violent and important activities. The costs from pot stings would be a large savings.

I'm not sure the cops can get much more violent, Zen.:wink:

Yup.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Full legalisation? Sometime after the US begins to modernize and normalize their laws. Likely with the next Democratic president's second term.

Police could be diverted to more violent and important activities. The costs from pot stings would be a large savings.

Yup.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Yup.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
Well tobacco and liquor are legalized and taxed to death so they may as well legalize marijuana and hashish to capitalize on the tax revenue they will receive. Unfortunately pot would more than likely be taxed as high as cigs,booze and gasoline.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Pot Tax worth 2$Billi

If you have a plant or two growing in the corner they can;t tax that though, No1. Most people wouldn't grow it, but some would.

There was an interesting article on medical marijuana in the last Walrus. The pharmaceutical companies would very much like pot to remain illegal so they can sell prescription drugs made from pot. Funny how it comes back to corporate profits one way or the other.

BudBuddy

Feb 3, 2005
angelfire.com

Yet marijuana arrests soared under Bill Clinton, with more pot busts every year during his 8 year term.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Pot Tax worth 2$Billi

There is a growing backlash because of the heavy-handedness of the Bush regime, Bud.

BTW in re-reading what I wrote it appears I wasn't very clear. I didn't mean that the next Democratic president would normalise marijuana laws, just that he would begin too. It will be a very long process.