Tilley hat

Walter
+2
#1  Top Rated Post
In the warmer months I always wear a Tilley hat when I'm outside since my scalp is folliclly challenged. On Tuesday this week I was at the Tilley headquarters in Toronto and picked up my new Tilley hat cuz my old one had developed a hole. I bought my first Tilley hat in the 80's and haven't bought a new one since. My new hat is probably my 8th or 9th replacement since my first purchase almost 30 years ago.
 
darkbeaver
-1
#2
They aren't very durable are they? Eight devided into thirty = 3.75, I have a hat thats twice that old and except for the slight smell is perfectly functional.
 
Danbones
#3
mine's made out of hemp
5 years on and it gets worn every day
it sneaks a mini plastic poncho/ book o matches in the pocket under the crown

gives me the Jim Marrs look...which is OK at my age

used to have a quarter in there as well, to call home
but that's kind of a useless item these days
 
DaSleeper
+1
#4
Got mine a the dollar store ....when it gets smelly or dirty I just get rid of it on garbage day and buy a new one for a couple of bucks...
I like the ones at the dollar store for the air flow... looks like this...

 
Locutus
#5
you poor bald bastards.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
#6
My dad, not bald, wears them as well.
 
Danbones
#7
ah...little off the front maybe
white skin injun freckles
and burn easy
then red skin

heh heh
the ladies love a snap brim hat if it goes with your clothes
 
bill barilko
#8
Tilley copied that design from Central American peasants who'd made it out of raw cotton for ages and can still be seen wearing it today.
 
Danbones
+1
#9
mine is more the indiana jones model
especially if I wear a leather jacket with it
 
Curious Cdn
#10
I have a three decades old "original" Tilkey hat like the one that went through an elephant in the ad that looks like it went through an elephant. It's been up and down the length and width of Lake Ontario several times in various long distance sailing races, singlehanded and shorthanded long distance races in sun and rain, rarely taken off. It's been gound under foot in cockpits and on cabin soles. I've beaten the living crap out of it. It was a creamy beige when it was new and now it is greyish.

My daughter wears it now when working as a sailing instructor. There is a certain cachet associated with wearing well worn gear. I guess that brand new Tilleys look unbearably nerdy. It reminds me of the ancient navy trick where the newly recruited O.S. soaks his cap tally / beret badge / cap badge in a bucket of sea water, lest it looks too shiny and new.
 
Danbones
#11

wwwyoutubecomwatchvJaeRrrtsCqU


50 mission cap
 
Curious Cdn
+1
#12
That's the one!

When they find my bleaching bones, the Leafs might win the Cup!
 
Dexter Sinister
+2
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by WalterView Post

In the warmer months I always wear a Tilley hat when I'm outside since my scalp is folliclly challenged. On Tuesday this week I was at the Tilley headquarters in Toronto and picked up my new Tilley hat cuz my old one had developed a hole. I bought my first Tilley hat in the 80's and haven't bought a new one since. My new hat is probably my 8th or 9th replacement since my first purchase almost 30 years ago.

I bought one in the 80s too, and I still wear it, it's proven extremely durable. Best hat for going fishing. Lotta guys wear ball caps out on the water, and they do protect the face and the incipient bald spots many guys my age have, including me, but at the end of the first day on the lake I'll be the only guy whose ears and neck aren't red and sore. Gotta have that all around brim. And the silly few who don't wear a hat at all... well, they deserve whatever happens to them.
 
TenPenny
+1
#14
My Tilley is about 28 years old. The nice thing is that when canoeing on a really hot day, you can soak the hat in the water and put it on your head to keep you cool.
 
Danbones
#15
Quote:

=Curious Cdn;2340905That's the one!
When they find my bleaching bones, the Leafs might win the Cup!

out of my cold dead fingers....

Quote:

=Dexter Sinister;2340947]I bought one in the 80s too, and I still wear it, it's proven extremely durable. Best hat for going fishing.

Quote:

=TenPenny;2340991]My Tilley is about 28 years old. The nice thing is that when canoeing on a really hot day, you can soak the hat in the water and put it on your head to keep you cool.

That and a bandana for couth and colour
Last edited by Danbones; Sep 16th, 2016 at 07:26 AM..
 

Similar Threads

2
I Thought the Pointy Hats Were from Hogwarts
by Tecumsehsbones | Jan 2nd, 2015
11
Lama's with Hats
by Retired_Can_Soldier | Mar 31st, 2011
101
Hats off to the Habs!
by Mowich | May 15th, 2010
no new posts