Canada's role in world affairs viewed from abroad

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Canadians are often curious about how others see them, so, for Canada Day, with the help of the International Council for Canadian Studies, CBC News reached out to the 7,000 or so academics outside Canada who teach courses about Canada.

They call themselves Canadianists, and we wanted to know what their students are being taught about Canada and what their perceptions are about Canada's place in the world.

Here's what fifteen of them had to say.

Canada's role in world affairs viewed from abroad - Canada - CBC News

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
So basically, the positive things are tropes from long ago and the criticism is for things in recent memory.

Thanks Harper.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
So basically, the positive things are tropes from long ago and the criticism is for things in recent memory.
Not really, but I wouldn't expect objectivity to shine through in your posts.

Thanks Harper.
There it is, lol.

You don't think maybe "7000 academics" skews just a mite Liberal?
Or how about a distinctly liberal, anti conservative rag picked 15 from that 7000.

That was easily glossed over by the Flosster. It's trendy.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Not really, but I wouldn't expect objectivity to shine through in your posts.

There it is, lol.

Or how about a distinctly liberal, anti conservative rag picked 15 from that 7000.

That was easily glossed over by the Flosster. It's trendy.
Nah, it's just the wings. If a conservative paper had cherry-picked the responses of 7000 oil executives, Harper'd probably look pretty good.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
You don't think maybe "7000 academics" skews just a mite Liberal?

I get that you are friendly joking but I will give a serious response anyway ;)

Academics are supposed to be well versed on what they study.

Now if you want to question the legitimacy of their opinions, then you have to actually be critical of the content itself.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I get that you are friendly joking but I will give a serious response anyway ;)

Academics are supposed to be well versed on what they study.

Now if you want to question the legitimacy of their opinions, then you have to actually be critical of the content itself.
I wasn't joking. Listen, I'm open to criticisms of Harper, but cherry-picking 15 responses out of 7000 in a population that skews left is propaganda.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I wasn't joking. Listen, I'm open to criticisms of Harper, but cherry-picking 15 responses out of 7000 in a population that skews left is propaganda.

Firstly, you cannot cram 7000 opinions into one article.

Secondly, how do you know those opinions are not reflective of the entire sample?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Not in Flossters world.

Uh huh...

Secondly, how do you know those opinions are not reflective of the entire sample?
Ummm...

Oh forget it, lol

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Guys, if your argument is 'lol leftists' then it might as well be 'lol people' in this day and age.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Mine is "lol Flosster", the Brony made it all academic, and you just made it all worth while.

Well ya, but it came outta left (That's for you Flosster) field.

TB said minion, I give you minion. It was just a spare one I keep around for nostalgic purposes.

Fine, I'll take him back.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
You still haven't shown that the opinions of 7000 'leftists' is incorrect, nor that the 15 chosen from this article aren't reflective of those 7000.