Be a woman - Pay More

Canbyte

Time Out
Feb 23, 2011
Southern Ontario
If you’re a woman, you may be paying more for a range of products than men are.The practice is called gender pricing, where men and women are charged different amounts for similar products and services.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I nust heard about this on the radio. Canada has NO laws against this. Its fully illegal in several states.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Gotcha.

So if a man buys the same bottle of perfume it costs more? He gets it at a cheaper price?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
For similar products?

Such as what?
everything

1. Deodorant

degreedeodorant.com

degreedeodorant.com

At a local Duane Reade, this Degree women’s deodorant is 4% smaller but costs 55% more than the men’s version.

2. Face Lotion

target.com

target.com

Neutrogena’s face lotion (in the pretty purple box) costs $3.88 per ounce, while the men’s version costs $3.46 per ounce. That’s 12% more!

3. Eau de Toilette Spray

sephora.com

sephora.com

Almost identical bottles, but the women’s eau de toilette costs 7% more.

4. Body Wash

niveausa.com

niveausa.com

On sites like walgreens.com, Dial shower gels for men are priced online, while women’s body washes are priced per store, making it harder to see gender pricing. At Duane Reade, there’s an 18% difference between Nivea men’s and women’s body wash. Because ladies really need something called “Touch of Serenity” 18% more.

5. Soap

drugstore.com

drugstore.com

A 14% price increase for a pink box.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/maitlandquitmeyer/lady-products-that-cost-more-than-their-male-counterparts

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
everything

1. Deodorant

degreedeodorant.com

degreedeodorant.com

At a local Duane Reade, this Degree women’s deodorant is 4% smaller but costs 55% more than the men’s version.

2. Face Lotion

target.com

target.com

Neutrogena’s face lotion (in the pretty purple box) costs $3.88 per ounce, while the men’s version costs $3.46 per ounce. That’s 12% more!

3. Eau de Toilette Spray

sephora.com

sephora.com

Almost identical bottles, but the women’s eau de toilette costs 7% more.

4. Body Wash

niveausa.com

niveausa.com

On sites like walgreens.com, Dial shower gels for men are priced online, while women’s body washes are priced per store, making it harder to see gender pricing. At Duane Reade, there’s an 18% difference between Nivea men’s and women’s body wash. Because ladies really need something called “Touch of Serenity” 18% more.

5. Soap

drugstore.com

drugstore.com

A 14% price increase for a pink box.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/maitlandquitmeyer/lady-products-that-cost-more-than-their-male-counterparts

Not to sound stand-offish here Sal, but knowing what you know now, isn't the simple answer to pick these products in the men's aisle?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Not to sound stand-offish here Sal, but knowing what you know now, isn't the simple answer to pick these products in the men's aisle?
no a perfectly reasonable question CM
it is becoming much easier now that so many products have gone scentless...the problem before used to be smelling like a guy's commercial, but there have always been items which could be purchased such as instead of little pink razors I use Mennon which not only were/are heavier and easier to grip but last way, way longer.

sadly also, I find the quality of many men's products to be far superior to the female version

Would you go out with a woman who smells like a man?
bingo, that used to be an issue as Das says

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
no a perfectly reasonable question CM
it is becoming much easier now that so many products have gone scentless...the problem before used to be smelling like a guy's commercial, but there have always been items which could be purchased such as instead of little pink razors I use Mennon which not only were/are heavier and easier to grip but last way, way longer.

sadly also, I find the quality of many men's products to be far superior to the female version

Women do get the sh*t end of the stick when it comes to things like make-up and what not.

Me and the g/f would go to the store for the necessary and she'd walk out with a small bag (I mean tiny) of specialty things and spent North of $80.... That and hair cuts.... Roughly $25 for me and she's in over $200.

For that kind of money, I'd expect a happy ending

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Women do get the sh*t end of the stick when it comes to things like make-up and what not.

Me and the g/f would go to the store for the necessary and she'd walk out with a small bag (I mean tiny) of specialty things and spent North of $80.... That and hair cuts.... Roughly $25 for me and she's in over $200.

For that kind of money, I'd expect a happy ending
yes, same ingredients, different perfumes, big price difference

a lipstick can run over $20.00

face creams can run over $200.00 and they too will have the same ingredients as the cheaper creams with a large base of the creams having the same compounds which are.......vaseline petroleum jelly and lanolin...same with foot creams...throw on some veaseline petroleum jelly at night and no more rough heels OR you can go get your peddy for $60 or more every three weeks

economy scams

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009

face creams can run over $200.00 and they too will have the same ingredients as the cheaper creams with a large base of the creams having the same compounds which are.......vaseline petroleum jelly and lanolin...same with foot creams...throw on some veaseline petroleum jelly at night and no more rough heels OR you can go get your peddy for $60 or more every three weeks

economy scams

Amazing

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
cleaning products are another scam

I used to have 20 different products, try this, try that, and it's all harsh chemical...after a day of bleaching and cleaning my nose would run and my hands would be raw

then I discovered essential oils...they have a natural antibacterial property

buy some atomizer bottles and a huge jug of white vinegar
water, vinegar, essential oil such as peppermint mixed together, costs pennies and will kill most household germs on the counters, the floors, the walls, will leave mirrors and windows streak free and are better for the animals and for us

I still use bleach now and then but nothing like all that stuff I used to use and at a fraction of the cost

if the house smells like a spring garden your lungs are inhaling pure chemical...I love the smell of fresh mint or lavendar now

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
cleaning products are another scam

I used to have 20 different products, try this, try that, and it's all harsh chemical...after a day of bleaching and cleaning my nose would run and my hands would be raw

then I discovered essential oils...they have a natural antibacterial property

buy some atomizer bottles and a huge jug of white vinegar
water, vinegar, essential oil such as peppermint mixed together, costs pennies and will kill most household germs on the counters, the floors, the walls, will leave mirrors and windows streak free and are better for the animals and for us

I still use bleach now and then but nothing like all that stuff I used to use and at a fraction of the cost

if the house smells like a spring garden your lungs are inhaling pure chemical...I love the smell of fresh mint or lavendar now

No doubt about that.

Keeping it simple is the best way to go... The vinegar deal is one I have used for a long time, that and putting a little muscle into things rather than rely on some caustic substance to ease the work load... Too many nasties makes life more work in the end.

Change and/or clean the air filter on your furnace periodically and get a good vacuum... Carpets are one of the least sanitary places in any house.

Keeping the dust down from the start goes a long way

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
The radio report also talked about childrens toys. Similar toys marketed for girls often cost more. However, the reporter said when the "issue" was brought before one of the stores and they corrected the pricing issue there and then.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
No doubt about that.

Keeping it simple is the best way to go... The vinegar deal is one I have used for a long time, that and putting a little muscle into things rather than rely on some caustic substance to ease the work load... Too many nasties makes life more work in the end.

Change and/or clean the air filter on your furnace periodically and get a good vacuum... Carpets are one of the least sanitary places in any house.

Keeping the dust down from the start goes a long way
yes, vinegar is a wonderful cleaner...I need the essential oil to change the odor and I'm good to go...I will also put a bit of dish detergent into the bucket to give it that soapy bit

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

economy scams

ONly because women fall for the BS.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
ONly because women fall for the BS.

Or are they just trying to keep their men from moving on to a younger version?

There is a premium placed on looking youthful. Plus, who wants to look old before their time?

Beauty creams are fairly gender specific. Men are have only recently learnt of the benefits of keeping a youthful appearance.