The most Canadian food you’ll ever eat is only available in Japan

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
The most Canadian food you’ll ever eat is only available in Japan

How dare they…

Grab your Timbits, this is war.
It would appear that Japan thinks it can just waltz into Canada and steal one of our precious icons. According to a report by Rocket News 24, the country has been deep-frying maple leaves and selling them as a snack.

WTF?!

The delicacy was thought up 1,300 years ago after a pilgrim in Minoh was so taken by the beauty of the maple leaf in autumn, that he decided to cook some of them in rapeseed oil and share it with travelers who passed by. The snack was clearly a hit, because the recipe has since been improved upon. The leaves are now picked and left in a salt barrel for an entire year before being cooked with sugar and sesame.
…We guess that could be tasty. In a deep-fried twigs and berries kind of way.
So while we may not be thrilled about it, Japan’s culinary take on the Canadian icon is worth sampling. If you can’t make the trip across the Pacific, no worries — you can find the snacks online right here.
As for the rest of us though, a recipe for Canadian maple-bacon sushi is already in the works.
Take that, Japan.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
SLM,

You need to open up a franchise and sell that stuff here in Gopherland - I'll be first on line for a taste of that treat. Just please make sure it's gluten free.

:)

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Well, I was just in Canada, and I gotta tell y'all, it's time for Mr. Harper and Mr. Trudeau to address the looming Canadian national catastrophe. . . THE GREAT MAPLE LEAF FAMINE!

Seems like every Asian tourist I saw in Canada was clutching a handful of maple leaves. Now, with increasing prosperity in Asia, more and more of them will be touristing in Canada.

Do you have any idea how MANY Asians there are? They could run the whole country completely out of maple leaves!

Wake up, Canada! You must protect your national symbol! What would Canada be without maple leaves? It would be like Ireland without harps! Or the U.S. without fat white bastards with guns!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Anyone suffering from a maple leaf shortage? I've got scads of them. I can sell them to you whole or I can sell them chopped up by the lawn mower. I can sell them by the lb. the kg. the bushel or the cwt.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Anyone suffering from a maple leaf shortage? I've got scads of them. I can sell them to you whole or I can sell them chopped up by the lawn mower. I can sell them by the lb. the kg. the bushel or the cwt.
Yeah, that's what the Newfies said about fish.