Top 50 Historically Significant Canadians

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Being a young country not every one was born in Canada. Most on this list are born in Canada. I'm sure everyone has there own opinions, and I'm sure when you point them out I'll say "oh ya, I forgot." Having said that here is my top 50 people who have most influenced and shaped the history of Canada.

MacKenzie King
John A McDonald
Sir Wilfred Laurier
Tommy Douglas
R. B. Bennett
Louis Riel
Clifford Sifton
Pierre Trudeau
Frederick Banting
Sir Sanford Fleming
Lester Pearson
John Diefenbaker
Walter Dieter
Reginald Fessenden
John McCrae
Newton Rowell
Andrew Paull
Robert Borden
Rene Levesque
Jean Chretien
Peter Lougheed
Agnes McPhail
Sir William Cornelius Van Horne
Tecumseh
George-Etienne Cartier
James Creighton - first indoor ice hockey game
William Aberhart
Louis St Laurent
Vincent Massey
Terry Fox
David Suzuki
Elijah Harper
Preston Manning
James Naismith
Paul Watson
James Gosling - Java programming language
Stephen Harper
Lucien Bouchard
George Vanier
Phil Fontaine
Farley Mowat
Andrew McNaughton
Arthur Currie
Arthur Meighen
Billy Bishop
Pierre Burton
Brian Mulroney
Chris Hadfield
Paul Martin
Rick Hanson

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
John A. isn't on top so this is a bogus list. Where's Alice Munro? Where's Tim Horton!?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I called BS when I didn't see Pearson and Douglas arm wrestling over first place, lol, j/k. Not only are they my two favourite Canadian politicians of all time, I think they've left a pretty significant mark on Canada and the world.

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
I called BS when I didn't see Pearson and Douglas arm wrestling over first place, lol, j/k. Not only are they my two favourite Canadian politicians of all time, I think they've left a pretty significant mark on Canada and the world.
are you a collector? I have a document with Pearson's signature on it (somewhere!). what's it worth to ya? ( yeah, yeah, I know it will be worth more if I can find it)

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
John A. isn't on top so this is a bogus list. Where's Alice Munro? Where's Tim Horton!?
I just saw an Oreo donut at Tim Hortons. Tim is great at creating other large figures. His greatest contribution is obviously obesity.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Not to change the subject on anyone but can you folks do me a favor and put together a listing of your top 10 Canadian history books?

I'd like to see what reading each of you would recommend to anyone interested in knowing more about the history of the Provinces.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Not to change the subject on anyone but can you folks do me a favor and put together a listing of your top 10 Canadian history books?

I'd like to see what reading each of you would recommend to anyone interested in knowing more about the history of the Provinces.
Canada Outline History - second Edition: J. Arthur Lower, Illustrated: 9780075512400: Amazon.com: Books

Outline histories by J.A. Lower are pretty good. They basically sum up things in a page or two then chronologically move on.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Thanx! I will request a copy tomorrow as the Bookmobile will be in front of our building for their bi-weekly visit. So good to have them come here. :)

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Thanx! I will request a copy tomorrow as the Bookmobile will be in front of our building for their bi-weekly visit. So good to have them come here. :)
I haven't read that particular one but have one of his older outlines. It cuts to the chase.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
ummmn good or bad? I can name 50 from before I was in high school that 'needed killin real bad'. Luckily neither they nor I became famouse over that.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I did a lot of things in the past, miss is not one of them.

Kreskin;1988821 Having said that here is my top 50 people who have most influenced and shaped the history of Canada. [/QUOTE said:
I'm impressed, hope that doesn't hurt your image.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It's bogus, Paul Watson is one of the most disgusting Canadians!

Terry Fox should be #1, his accomplishments were done by age 22.

How come William Aberhart and yet not W.A.C. Bennett?

Last edited:

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Wacky could have been on the list.

While Terry's accomplishments are profound I don't think they've changed our society. I'm no fan of Paul Watson but the environmental movement has impacted just about everything.