The Junos

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
It’s time now for Two Minutes with Lex Murphy, published every week in your hometown Nugget newspaper. Sponsored by the Country Lard Store, where 'Fat is fine, anytime!'

Country Lard! Country Lard!
It's always soft and squishy!
It's never cold and hard!
Yee haw!

The Junos

It’s just sad. Another Juno award year has come and gone, but few people noticed. It’s not surprising though. I don't think your average Canadian really cares.

I think we lost interest because the administrators of the various associations keep changing things. Since 1949, a growing number of organizations have handed out different award statues and scrolls. In some cases, the award itself has changed shape or was renamed. Some of the presenting organizations have also been renamed, or new ones created. In short, whoever keeps doing this has confused the heck out of people. As a result, many of us gave up caring. Canadians like award shows, but most prefer watching the Oscars or the Grammys. We don’t give much thought to the Junos or any other home grown award anymore. Honestly, who can blame us?

This is probably a mistake, but I’ll try to walk you through some of the changes.

If you were around in the 1960s, you might have read RPM magazine. It was started by a former Mountie and Toronto cop Walt Grealis. His big thing was charting top 40 Canadian records and singles. RPM was published from 1964 until 2000. Every year, some lucky Canadian musicians were presented with what was called the RPM Award. They were given out based on a poll of the readership’s musical favourites.

In 1970, the RPM Awards changed, becoming the Gold Leaf Awards. This was the second name of what would become 'the Junos' in 1975. In eleven years, the name changed three times. Why? I dunno. History is full of the unexplained.

The word 'Juno' is actually a corruption of the name 'Juneau', inspired by Pierre Juneau, then Chairman of the Canadian Radio and Television Commission. The CRTC was created to ensure stations played Canadian content on radio and television. Their mandate was to protect our national identity and encourage artistic creativity. Many of us chuckled when they made the announcement about the award’s new name. We all got the feeling that someone desperately wanted to suck up to the boss.

Looking back, the only constant is change. In the same way that the RPM and Golf Leaf awards morphed into the Junos in 1975, the CRTC – the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission was “recreated” in 1976. I say recreated because the first CRTC was actually formed in 1968 as the Canadian Radio and Television Commission.

Did you notice that both CRTCs used the same acronym, but the titles were different? You probably didn’t, but that’s okay. Heck, most Canadians still refer to them by their original name and few are blissfully unaware that there even was a change.

Before I move on to the next part of this perplexing puzzle, I should mention that prior to the creation of CRTC 1 and CRTC 2 (Thing One and Thing Two); we had the Board of Broadcast Governors. The BBG was founded in 1958 to oversee the broadcast industry. But hold on! Before that, the CBC regulated things. Now are you confused? Regardless of what they were called or when they were created, all these organizations had a turn at controlling radio and television broadcasting. To review, it started with the CBC, then the BBG, then the CRTC and finally the CRTC…again.

If you think about it, the CRTC, regardless of incarnation, was a musician's dream! The Commission ensured that Canadians had to listen to music that we wouldn't normally have bothered with. As a result, some so-so bands and performers got air time. The CRTC compelled broadcasters to play a minimum of 40% Canadian content.

But never mind them, let’s stick with the awards. The RPM - Gold Leafs (Leaves?) - Junos were designed to spotlight accomplishments in the Canadian music industry. Overseeing everything was the responsibility of the Canadian Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences (CARAS). Interestingly, CARAS was formed in 1975, just like the Junos. Before that, I guess no one was looking after Canadian music.

But we mustn’t forget that honours were also given out for excellence in television and the movies.

The Junos, as we know them today, were the musical version of another Canadian honour, the ACTRA Awards (The Association of Canadian Television and Radio Artists). They started in 1972 (probably) because of the burgeoning Canadian film and television scene. That, and they were looking for innovative ways to keep Canadian performers from moving to the US. (NOTE TO ACTRA: Dumb idea! It didn't work! The best are still heading south. But really, can you blame them?)

Officially, the ACTRA awards were created to formally recognize outstanding writers, actors and broadcast journalists. The little statuette was called a Nellie, but she didn’t last long. They stopped distributing them (her?) in 1986 or 1987.

So that's about when the Gemini Awards were born. Something had to replace the Nellies, right? (What a silly name.)

To add to the chaos, another award was devised about then as well.

Along with the Geminis, someone dreamed up Genies for film. But wait, Genies already existed, but not as Genies. They were originally called the Canadian Film Awards, and were doled out from 1949 until 1979. See, it all makes sense now!

Where was I? The Association of Canadian Television and Radio Artists (ACTRA) was renamed in 2003 to the Alliance of Canadian Cinema, Television and Radio Artists (ACTRA). How clever! Just like the CRTC, they used the same acronym! I figure that ACTRA did that because they had a ton of pre-printed business cards and stationary. Being frugal, they didn’t want to throw it all away because of a name change.

That brings us up to the spring of 2012. Time for another change. The Academy of Canadian Cinema & Television announced that the Genies and the Geminis were being replaced by yet another award - The Canadian Screen Awards. These were designed to recognize excellence in Canadian film, television, and digital media productions. Ain't progress wonderful?

Since World War Two, we've had Geminis, RPMs, Gold Leafs (Leaves?), Junos, ACTRA Awards (the Nellies), Genies, Canadian Film Awards and Canadian Screen Awards. There are probably others, but no one I’ve talked with really knows for sure.

The awards given out over the past 65 years also kept changing shape and material. They've been wooden, crystal, acrylic, metal and Lord knows what else. They even changed size, but your average Canadian never noticed...

At the end of the day, most of us are either not aware of, or do not care about any of them. Few of us know the history. Fewer still even realize that most of these aren't given out anymore. Don't worry; if you’re one of these people, you're not alone. And it's nothing to be ashamed of! Just remember, it's not about you. It's about Canadian artists trying to be meaningful.

That brings us to this year. Some young singer named Justin (not Timberlake or even Trudeau) got booed, but wasn’t there to hear it. He and four or five of 2014’s biggest Juno winners didn’t bother showing up. There were probably other no shows, but no one noticed. I guess they had more important matters to attend to. I don’t know about you, but I got the impression that the artists don’t care either. It’s just sad.

Last edited:

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
thanks for that entertaining read, Murph

welcome

understandable about the beebs

but I wanna know how'd my faves Walk Off The Earth do?

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
Who? Are they hippies? Ah, I'm sorry, it's just that I got this rather nasty letter from someone in Moronto.

Dear Tex,

I read your column last night when I was sitting on the toilet. Like my efforts, your effort stinks too!

You strike me as some sort of music hating, right wing Commie type! You have no respect for hard working arts students or our contributions to the world. We're the educated ones making this rock a better place to live. You were probably too busy earning money and paying taxes to notice us. You make me sick, getting rich off the backs of the Proletariat. You were probably one of those well off kids that I served when I waited tables. Your type was always taking advantage of us and making unreasonable demands. I remember, like it was yesterday!

"Excuse me. May I have another cup of coffee please?"

You were a smart *** with all kinds of money! You never even paid us any attention, always laughing and having a good time with your friends. You went out of your way to make us feel small by only talking to us when you left. You knew we were poor, and took great delight in flaunting your bourgeoise bucks in our face. You just couldn't resist leaving a tip, could you?

"You have a great place here. Thanks for the coffee!" you always said, and you'd walk out the door.

Let me tell you something mister fancy pants coffee drinker, I worked hard studying stuff and learning musicality! I remember graduating I think, and getting a job at CBC. After they asked me to leave, I worked at McClear, wading through mile after tedious mile of country music tracks. But there was that one time I got to work with Randy Bachman. It was like the whole world changed! It was an epistolary or an epigram. You know, something intense.

After that, whatever association of musical people I worked for hasn't changed their names.

I went to the University of Toronto you know, so I know a thing or two about Tommy Chong and how to transport glass bongs. I didn't spend every afternoon with my nose buried in library books, you know! I experienced a few tense afternoons riding the subway, trying to get my hookah home. I think I remember Pierre Trudeau being on some of those trips back to Cabbagetown...No, I think it was Judy LaMarsh.

I do remember something about the Conservative party. They were actually the Liberal-Conservative Party from 1867 to 1873, and then they became the Conservative Party of Canada. They dropped the Liberal part. It's funny to think that they were almost the same party at one time. One of my profs said that Sir John A MacDonald was a drunk, so that might have had something to do with it. Anyway, The Cons were the Cons until WWII: 1942 to be specific. That's when they sort of had another look at Liberalism and became the Progressive Conserative Party.

I know that because, before she died, my Aunt Patty used to tell me stories about the CCF and my dad. She lived her whole life in Moose Jaw and said she had a thing for Tommy Douglas. He was some sort of local celebrity I think.

My dad gave up sheep farming after the war, and told my grandparents he was moving east. He said he could never live someplace that flat, so dad moved to Toronto and married my mom. Dad always used to curse her and say,

"What the hell ever possessed me to move to a province where someone like you was conceived?"

And he'd head off to work at Union Station scraping gum off the tracks. That was honest work! And that's also where I got my first part-time job. I used to sing and play the banjo there.

So I think you understand now.

Where was I? I can't remember if the Musical Alliance of Musicians (MAM) or the Canadian Association of Musical Chairs (CAMC) had merged by that point. CAMC was a loose association of the heads of Canadian music studios or concert promoters or something. That's not important, but I do remember the last meeting when everyone from the Musical Chairs got together and discussed a sit in. I seem to remember a bunch of us leaving for Tim Hortons because the room we met in didn't have enough seats.

So stop writing stuff that you don't know nothing about!

Last edited: