Canada's Culture of Silence

Sons of Liberty

Walks on Water
Aug 24, 2010
Evil Empire
Three decades ago, the Canadian novelist Margaret Atwood gave a famous lecture to an American audience about Canadian-American relations. It remains, to this day, the most precise articulation of Canadians' unbearably smug sense of superiority ever offered. In it, she addresses her childhood in northern Quebec in the 1950s.
My attitude towards Americans was formed by this environment. Alas, the Americans we encountered were usually pictures of ineptitude. We once met two of them dragging a heaving metal boat, plus the motor, across the portage from one lake to another because they did not want to paddle. Typically American, we thought, as they ricocheted off yet another tree. Americans hooked other people when they tried to cast, got lost in the woods and didn't burn their garbage.
For forty years, making fun of Americans, or just quietly judging them, has been a national pastime in Canada. Look at those fat Americans, with their guns, their lunatic religions, their stupid wars. God, we're so much better than them, with our free health care and our infinite water supply. And it was all good fun while it lasted. But recently, the Canadian sense of moral superiority has collapsed in spectacular fashion — so much so that when American scandals explode, like the Edward Snowden affair, we're no longer in any position to judge.

Why? Well, it's hard to judge anyone when your mayor is caught smoking crack and hardly sees so much as a dip at the polls, as with Toronto Mayor Rob Ford. But the country is full of such sordid scandals. As of a month ago, seemingly every level of government in the country had at least one scandal profound enough to warrant police investigation. The prime minister's chief of staff was caught bribing a Canadian senator. In Montreal, the mayor elected to root out the city's Mafia connections was himself arrested on corruption charges. A different mayor, Gilles Vaillancourt, of Laval, Quebec, was arrested in May for "gangsterism." A city councilor in Alberta was arrested for possession of cocaine with intent to distribute. Such fusions of political and criminal enterprises have become par for the course here.

It's not just the scandals, though. For most of my life, Americans have been the rich *******s, while Canadians have been the poorer, more virtuous cousins. Those positions are now reversed. Canadians are on average richer than Americans, and also with less concerned with how they make money. At least Obama acknowledges the reality of global climate change: Our government does whatever it can to pretend the issue doesn't exist. The Keystone XL pipeline may or may not happen (Obama's recent speech on the subject was impossibly vague), but the bitumen in the oil sands will be sold, environmental consequences be damned. If it doesn't go south, it will go east. Selling dirty oil to China is about as far as one can get from Atwood's vision of canoeing in northern Quebec.
This is how dark things are in Canada right now: The Canadian government has banned any scientist with state support from speaking to the media on pain of losing their funding. It stopped the census for reasons it could never explain. I for one would much rather have a government gathering information it shouldn't be gathering than the one that I have, which does whatever it can to prevent information from being made public. I also wish that Canada had citizens like Edward Snowden — people who put their lives on the line to try to cure their country of abuses. Canada's culture of silence and open secrecy is swallowing our politics. Even the story of Mayor Ford had to be broken by Gawker.

From the outside, America, even in the way it spies on its citizens, looks amazingly open. Snowden himself is about to learn this lesson. There are two kinds of American parochialism: one that thinks America is the best country in the world and one that thinks it's the worst. As I write this, Snowden is trying to get out of Russia. You think Putin cares about "privacy"? He doesn't care about your right not to be tortured to death. We should all keep in mind the rule coined by Michael Moynihan at The Daily Beast: If you're living in a country where you can buy a copy of 1984, you aren't living in 1984.

Next month, A.A. Gill's To America with Love will be published in the United States for the first time. In it, the British writer offers a passionate attack against the European brand of anti-Americanism, the elder relative of the Canadian version:
Enough. Enough, enough, enough of this convivial rant, this collectively confirming bigotry. The nasty laugh of little togetherness, or Euro-liberal insecurity. It's embarrassing, infectious, and belittling. Look at that European snapshot of America. It is so unlike the country I have known for 30 years. Not just a caricature but a travesty, an invention. Even on the most cursory observation, the intellectual European view of the New World is a homemade, Old World effigy that suits some internal purpose.
I think the kind of stupidity Gill describes is starting to go away, at least up here. It's unfortunate, because I wish Canadians could still be smug bastards about our neighbors, I really do. But one of the advantages of losing your sense of moral superiority is gaining a better grip on reality. The truth is, we were never that good, and America was never that bad. And by now, anyway, the difference is gone

Read more: Why It's Becoming Harder to Hate America
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I ran into this article while searching for the book "To America With Love", recommended by a friend. I've read similar articles like this before, but what really caught my attention was the headline of this thread "Canada's Culture of Silence", which I have been thinking about for several years.

Is there a culture of silence in Canada? Please do speak your honest opinion, I am truly interested in this.

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
well, the culture of silence speaks volumes is a resounding albeit tacit approval of the status quo.

don't rock the boat, baby

and

mum's the word

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
The US over decades of Wars, coups and such reaped this. On the other side of the coin, natural disasters as in the SE Asia Tsunami, who was there, the US. Same with every other major disaster - they were there to help.

When the world needs leadership, who do they look to for taking the lead, the US.

I have met a number of Americans over the years and when I talked about Iraq, the vast majority stated we were lied to.

Met some idiots from the US as well, I also meet ignorant Canadians as well. Numbers of idiots would be about the same.

Those Canadians that are so smug need to educate themselves.

Some say Americans are not educated about countries other than the US.

Try a survey of 35 and under on Canadians and see how well they do.
Results would be similar in my opinion.

I see the Political atmosphere of Us against Them as the main issue that people of all parties have to face.
I say take them all out and shoot the bastards. Nah, can't do that.
To bad you do not have a Law that on a Plebiscite they cannot run again, excepting dog catcher. We should also have the same Law in Canada.

Just some thoughts and enjoyed your post.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
No it isn't hard to hate American imperialism nor is it hard to hate American exception nor is it hard to hate their war machine and their economic monsters. But it should be hard to hate the citizens? How the hell did they become imperialists bent on world conquest?
And none of that removes responsibility from us smug stupid Canadians. When the crash comes we will be in the same boat for the same reasons. I used to hate America, that's recently changed, now I hate Canada as well.

This is certainly not the time to lighten up on the empire but it is certainly time to radical change, more so since radical change has definitely decided to happen. No ammount of mutual back slappin and high fivey boasting can change the near future. The laurals of both nations have long gone to tatters and mold. And history seems to indicate they were largely the product of self congradulations anyway.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Take the time off, leave early with pay. I will email your boss.

Why in the hell didn't I check this post three hours ago!?! Geez, Goober, PM next time you have a brilliant idea like this, ok? ;)

No it isn't hard to hate American imperialism nor is it hard to hate American exception nor is it hard to hate their war machine and their economic monsters. But it should be hard to hate the citizens? How the hell did they become imperialists bent on world conquest?
And none of that removes responsibility from us smug stupid Canadians. When the crash comes we will be in the same boat for the same reasons. I used to hate America, that's recently changed, now I hate Canada as well.

That's a lot of hate for one beaver to carry around, even a dark one. Let a little light into your life.:D

I ran into this article while searching for the book "To America With Love", recommended by a friend. I've read similar articles like this before, but what really caught my attention was the headline of this thread "Canada's Culture of Silence", which I have been thinking about for several years.

Is there a culture of silence in Canada? Please do speak your honest opinion, I am truly interested in this.

Is there a culture of silence in Canada? I don't think it's so silent to be honest. Maybe it used to be, certainly when I was growing up it was, but now a days it seems like not only is it not silent, it's down right nasty. I see nastiness directed towards the US, I see nastiness directed towards fellow Canadians. There is, undeniably, a chip on the shoulder issue with America, although many (hopefully most) of us don't let that dictate our behaviour.

I know there are a lot of people that say "I hate America, but I don't hate Americans" but what does that even mean? The line between the two, if it even exists at all, gets blurred far too often. There's a fine line between being critical and criticism. I don't think a lot of people are very good at discerning the two unless they are on the receiving end.

I don't know, maybe it's because, culturally speaking, we're similar enough that the small differences really stand out for us? We consume a lot of America up here in the Great White North; pop culture, news media, politics, etc. The differences are glaringly obvious to us a lot of the time. Maybe if Americans were to consume Canadian culture the same way, the differences would be obvious to them as well?

I love my nation, it feels good to be a Canadian. I think if you were lucky enough to be born here, well then you won the lottery, that's how fantastic I think this place is. But I sure as hell would never be so hypocritical as to condemn someone else for feeling the same way about their own nation.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Why in the hell didn't I check this post three hours ago!?! Geez, Goober, PM next time you have a brilliant idea like this, ok? ;)

That's a lot of hate for one beaver to carry around, even a dark one. Let a little light into your life.:D

Is there a culture of silence in Canada? I don't think it's so silent to be honest. Maybe it used to be, certainly when I was growing up it was, but now a days it seems like not only is it not silent, it's down right nasty. I see nastiness directed towards the US, I see nastiness directed towards fellow Canadians. There is, undeniably, a chip on the shoulder issue with America, although many (hopefully most) of us don't let that dictate our behaviour.

I know there are a lot of people that say "I hate America, but I don't hate Americans" but what does that even mean? The line between the two, if it even exists at all, gets blurred far too often. There's a fine line between being critical and criticism. I don't think a lot of people are very good at discerning the two unless they are on the receiving end.

I don't know, maybe it's because, culturally speaking, we're similar enough that the small differences really stand out for us? We consume a lot of America up here in the Great White North; pop culture, news media, politics, etc. The differences are glaringly obvious to us a lot of the time. Maybe if Americans were to consume Canadian culture the same way, the differences would be obvious to them as well?

I love my nation, it feels good to be a Canadian. I think if you were lucky enough to be born here, well then you won the lottery, that's how fantastic I think this place is. But I sure as hell would never be so hypocritical as to condemn someone else for feeling the same way about their own nation.

Hate like revenge kills and impacts in a negative way all involved.

Last edited:

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
It's bolstering yourself by putting someone else down. In the end, it's very degrading I think. Makes one appear small.
funny about that...the ones who do it, never connect the dots on that one

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
First of all, while I've heard criticism of US politics and certain aspects of American media and cultural oddness, I think what most Americans will never believe is that never have I been told we're better than them. Canadians are irreverent. Everything is game for a joke and a poke. We will laugh about our oddities, your oddities, scoff at our politics and your politics in equal measure. But, if you're only listening for reference to the US, you'll only notice reference to the US. And it all looks terribly one sided.

Now, I know there are smug pricks in the world who really honestly think we're better, but you have them too, so it makes us equal.

As for this particular article.... what was Rob Ford found guilty of? It's basing an awful lot of its 'culture of silence' assertion on a happening that even a lot of left wingers feel was a complete frame up.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I the last few decades true America shows up at every disaster and does more
than its share. During the first and Second WW not so. America showed up
late after the enemy finally declared war on them.
America and Canada have always had this banter and its good not bad it is a
reflection of how the other sees the world. We can be as catty as we want.
Let someone from another part of the world, say those things and there is a
different response. Let someone attack North America and see what happens.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
As for this particular article.... what was Rob Ford found guilty of? It's basing an awful lot of its 'culture of silence' assertion on a happening that even a lot of left wingers feel was a complete frame up.

I got to there and shut the page down. I did however take a look at a few other "articles" he has written. Be a good idea for the rest of you to do the same before you take this idiot at face value.